Worst Officiated SuperBowl EVER!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jovian9, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The title says it all. I'm a fan of both the Steelers and the Seahawks. Bettis has been a favorite player of mine for years and Holmgren is my favorite coach in the league.....so no bias here. I wanted a good game. Which it would have been had the officials not made such obvious bad calls against the Seahawks over and over again. 2 touchdowns were taken away from Seattle b/c of officials putting themselves in control of the outcome instead of the players. After the Colts game all we heard from Porter was the officials "cheated" trying to get the Colts to win the game.......well, do you think he'll make those comments again but state that it was for his team this time. I am a big fan of the NFL but this game has left an awful taste in my mouth....so much so that I'm going to try to not watch any NFL games next year. It will be hard, but after how horribly one sided the officiating was in this game, I might be able to do it.

Congrats Steelers, Bettis, and Cowher! I am glad they got one, just not in the way that it happened.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Many other people here think it was pretty bad too. Very ref eventful for the biggest game of the year.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

hmmm... I didn't think it was THAT bad. The only call I don't get is the offensive pass interference call in the end-zone against the 'hawks. The Ben R TD was too close to call so I think the refs made the right decision there. The holding calls against the 'hawks that brought back a couple of big plays seemed justified to me..

I'll admit that I am a steelers fan though, so take that for what it's worth...

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree entirely. Been saying this all during the game and all since.

The first steelers "touchdown" was clearly not. Ben didn't break the plane... it was close, but absolutely undisputable.

The "holding" call on the seahawks pass to the one... unacceptable. There was no holding... not even close on this one. That turned an almost certain 'hawks TD in to an interception.

Which brings us to the next bad call. The hit hasselbeck put on the steeler (forget who), and then gets called for a "low block" on the other steeler.

And then the off-sides on the steelers that resulted in a sack of hasselbeck.

The whole thing was a ****ing joke. The officiating this post season in general has been appalling, but it's a real shame to have the superbowl decided by bad calls. That Joey Porter (btw - just shut up Porter. Seriously -- Shut. Up.) rant after the colts game does indeed reek of irony now. There's no way the officials were letting "the bus" leave detriot without his title, I guess.

What really gets me is that in time, people will forget this and act like the steelers legitimately won that game. :rolleyes: oh, and let me say that I'm not a 'hawks fan, and had no particular interest in this game except that i'm a football fan in general. And from that perspective, this was a disgusting display of officiating.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I say we banish the NFL forever and watch us some hockey, whaddaya say!!

6. iGav macrumors G3

Yey.... :D only because my home town has probably the best ice hockey team in the country. :D

I used to watch american football back in the '80's as it used to get coverage on Channel 4 on Sunday evenings... complete with 'Two Tribes' soundtrack and all :D but the lack of free flowing action, and far too much time stood around doing sweet F.A. killed my interest in it. I can appreciate why it's so popular though.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't. NFL isn't nearly as entertaining as AFL in Australia. There's really no competition, really --- NFL is boring in comparison.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Frosting on a terribly officiated playoffs.

The NFL seemed to badly want the Patriots out, the Colts in and, when it finally came down to it, a Steelers win.

Let's hope the NFL isn't going the way of the NBA (which is about as rigged as wrestling).

9. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I'm a fan of neither team, but I also agree 100% that the Seahawks had the game taken away from them by the officials. It's pretty sickening when you think about it.

In the end, the only real winners are the corporate sponsors, the networks, and the National Football League, who once again successfully turned a sporting event into a commercialized orgy.

To hell with the football.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am a fan of neither team.
    I thought it was a well officiated game.
    The offensive pass interference on Darrell Jackson was valid because
    he created separation by pushing off the defender. In the end, he could have avoided the penalty by not touching the defender.

Ben Roeschlisberger's touchdown was hard to tell from the replay. Leaving it as called on the field was the right choice.

Remember the Seahawks would have still been in the game if they hadn't missed 2 fieldgoals.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you look closely, he began his scramble after he finished the route. Look at the defender this time. Note how HE pushed off at exactly the same instant. AND, there was no obvious seperation as the "pushoff" was all but devoid of any physical contact. Bad call.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well it was pretty obvious sometimes... i'm far from being a american football fan or something (i just watch superbowls) but the steelers first touchdown didn't cross the line for me...
    through the whole game the referees seemed to be the center of the game which they shouldn't

that aside the game itself felt like i was watching the austrian football league (the other football) which is hardly a seal of excellence

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Are you one of the Australians who was hanging out at my dad's house?

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

heck I'll do it right now. the steelers won the game fair and square.

1) I don't think it was offensive pass intereference on Jackson most because his arm was NEARLY fully extended so it would be hard to "push off". I can see what the officials saw, and why they called it, it wouldn't have been my call but I see it.

2) You have to look at the big ben rushing touchdown with the right perspective according to the NFL rules, since it was ruled a touchdown on the field, was there conclusive evidence to prove that it wasn't a touchdown? NO. I"m not sure he got there either personally, but the process was properly followed.

This whole thing about the refs giving the steelers giving them the game is BS. Lets take that big ben rushing TD off the board, fine. The Randel EL HUGE PASS, and the Willie Parker HUGE RUN, give the steelers 14 ... 14-10 still wins the game. Mike Holmgren didn't call a great game, especially in the fourth quarter.

15. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Let's not forget about this moment....in the 2nd half when Seattle is driving to take the lead.....
    quoted from ESPN analyst Sean Salisbury at this link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2320619

The drive that could have resulted in a Seattle touchdown and lead was stalled by an awful holding call. This pushed Seattle back instead of being on the Steelers 2 yard line. This forced Seattle into passing mode which resulted in an interception. The officials then made an awful call against Hasselbeck when he tackled the guy who intercepted his pass. The call they made claimed he blocked someone below the knees (which is illegal to do to anyone but the guy with the ball.....which is exactly the person he hit....so it was legal). This put 15 yards on the end of the interception which put the Steelers in the middle of the field. If you had listened to John Madden and Al Michaels all evening they kept saying the Steelers loved trick plays but only when they were in the middle of the field. The officials gave the Steelers the perfect opportunity to try the Randle El pass coming off of a saved touchdown and an interception. They had nothing to lose with that play being in the middle of the field with the lead.
    Just another example of the officials deciding how the game went instead of the players.

16. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

No friggin way. Saw the game in HD, with a DVR. Watched it multiple times. He clearly broke the plane. All you have to cross is the first part of the goal line - the edge of the white.
    Oh there was certainly a hold there. The only thing that prevented a sack was the O-lineman hooking his arm up under the defender. The only argument you could make was that there's holds on every play, did that one have to be called. But that one DID have to be called, because it would've been a sack without the hold.
    This has more to do with a weird NFL rule than anything. It's been called on the Steelers in the past. If you block one player with a low dive like that, even if it's an attempt to tackle the ball-carrier, it's a penalty.

I notice that you take exception with the officiating but fail to comment on the play that led to the only Seahawks touchdown. There was a Seahawks player who blocked Roethlisberger in the back on the interception return. If that block is called, ball is around midfield and, I would argue, Seattle never gets that touchdown (Probably just another missed field goal.)

Much as you might want to talk about the officiating, the game was decided on the field. You can't blame the officials for the longest run in Superbowl history, or for the pass off the reverse. And even if Ben had been stopped on the goal line (which he wasn't), they would've gone for it on the next play and Bettis would be in for the touchdown. And the officials didn't cause the woefully inept management of the clock by the Seahawks, or the two touchdown passes out of bounds.

The Steelers had some pretty bad calls go against them in the playoffs - but the difference was, they still managed to win.

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

There is your problem right there. That offensive pi call doesn't get made and that gives you a 14-14 tie. Even with the Ben TD (where I still say the plane was not crossed, but the evidence doesn't conclusively say anything - so yes the play unfortunately stands), a 21-14 game is very different from 21-10. With those extra 4 points, Seattle doesn't have to chuck it to the end zone every snap, forcing the Steelers to play the field. As it stood, as long as the recievers were blanketed deep, the Seahawks could only chew up the clock with short yardage plays. That, and the blown offsides call changed the game.

The luckiest person at the game? Hines Ward. This was a year when there was no MVP. Not a single stand out performance in my mind. Until the last two drives, I would have given it to Hasselbeck...

18. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have no problem with the Roethlisberger touchdown. I don't think it should have been called a touchdown, but it was. And since it was I think the official had to uphold it after the review.
    But the Seahawks should have had a touchdown at the end of the half. The analysts were calling it the "Michael Vick Rule" where kicking the pilon should have counted as his 2nd foot being in when he caught the pass. Why the officials missed that and the replay booth didn't have them review it on such a close play is beyond me.

19. Mustafa macrumors regular

It's always foxed me why the NFL doesn't adopt the rugby rule for a touchdown -- i.e. the ball must be touched down to score. Would remove all arguments about 'breaking the plane'.

Seeing as how it's called a touchdown, maybe this was once the way it was played -- anybody know, and if so when and why it was changed?

Another rugby rule that would improve the US game would be for the conversion kick to be taken in line with where the touchdown was scored. This would introduce a new level of skill, badly needed as the vast majority of conversions from centre field are scored. It would also reward touchdown scorers who are free or good enough to go in 'under the posts'.

20. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Another article about the terrible officiating....this time from ESPN Senior Writer Michael Smith:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2320683

21. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yeah but if you agree that the offensive pass interference wasn't really a good call, then it is 14-14, not 14-10.

Frankly, I won't say that the Steelers didn't deserve to win. They made the big plays when they needed it and I congratualte them on that. I do think that having as many important plays called back against Seattle has to take the wind out of your sails a little.

Seattle wasn't robbed, but I don't feel like it was exactly a fairly called game.

22. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

That is a great idea. I would actually love to see those rules put in place.

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This would only extend as far as the hash marks, as the ball is placed on the nearest one if a play ends outside of them.

However, there is an issue of points being scored. The best way to describe it is that the series of possessions leading to a score has now ended. Thus a new series (consisting of one play) has begun. All new series of possessions begin in the center of the field. Erego, the ball must be place in the center of the field for all point after attempts. To do otherwise would create inconsistancies in the game. Would the punter free kick from a hashmark after a safety, even though doing so would punish the recieving team?

24. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hell it was the worst superbowl i had watched in a long time

Grey's Anatomy was the most exciting thing of the day for me.

25. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm kind of confused by this rule ... but I don't think it would work in the NFL. People like to see complex plays and reverses ... I don't want to reward coaches who push it up the gut, thats not entertaining. I don't want to see more QB sneaks, I want naked bootlegs and so forth, but maybe I'm alone.

Back to the officiating. I have a clear stance on this and it wasn't reflected in my original post. Under no circumstances do I think that the officials decide the game. I have never in my life seen such a circumstance. To me the bottom line is that any team always has a chance to score more points. This probably sounds oversimplified. I've seen a lot of bad officiating this past year in general, and sometimes it breaks my heart but theres nothing I can do. Stretching across all sports, 2005 Men's Basketball National Championship game wasn't called exactly fairly in my opinion. 2005 World Series had some obvious questionable calls. The Big Ten ref's aren't calling an even game in my opinion especially when Illinois is on the road, if you're going to be oversensitive on fouls then call it the same way for both sides. Now these playoffs and superbowl ... I think overall you guys are right, but even in all these months of bad calling, I can't look to a single game and say hey, they scored as much as they could in every opportunity and they still lost the game.

Seattle did not play a great game, they've played better. They tried to over stretch their kicker beyond his ability and to me they barely established their MVP ... he had a decent game but I don't think they used him properly. Steelers got a little luck, and some better coaching in my opinion. The steelers relied on what they had ... good game from willie parker, minimal passing from big ben ( I realize he has his on and off games, but the offense didn't seem to rotate around him in this game), solid D, and the trick plays that got them there.