Worst OS X Problem(s) [religious debate]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GodBless, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

What are the main disturbances, bothers or problems that you commonly experience with OS X?

One of my main ones is:
    - The still problematic OS X sound bug that changes the sound balance. I find myself checking the sound balance constantly (which is time consuming and annoying) because of this.

Other problems I find include:
    - Finder's poor design (I'm glad it's supposed to change in Leopard and am hoping for the best).
    - Spotlight's poor design.
    - Safari's lack of history past 7 days and constant freeze problems.
    - Inappropriate and offensive terminology (such as daemon - from UNIX).

I am hoping that these will be solved with Leopard -- especially the terminologies (although I know that it would be very difficult for Apple to do so but they certainly should do it).

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OSX is based on UNIX. How is daemon "offensive" and "inappropriate"??

I really don't know, explain yourself.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You want them to rename "daemon"? I guess you hate files that are -rw-rw-rw- then? No chmod 666 for you?

If you don't mind me asking what do you think Apple should name daemons, and how would you get around chmod 666?

I know I shouldn't laugh, everyone can believe what they want... BUT COME ON YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, if those are the worst problems ever, then what the h*** are you complaining about...? :rolleyes:

Consider yourself lucky or blessed or whatever...

Oh, and daemon is offensive...? Riiiiiiight...

As for your problems:
    - For that sound issue I would try out some of the usual mumbo jumbo™ (repairing permissions and getting rid of selected pref-files).
    - For extended history: Get Firefox

Picture 2.png

Finder and Spotlight's "poor design" I cannot help you with but you could always try out one of the Finder replacements and QuickSilver.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've never had a problem with the sound on my Mac, but I can see why it would be annoying. Perhaps you are using headphones or something that are messing up your Mac?

I've stopped using Spotlight except for Smart Folders now that I have QuickSilver. QS is an awesome app that really increases your productivity, and I'm still learning it!

What is so bad about the Finder, anyway?:confused:

And I agree; Safari is a great browser, but a bit frustrating at times.

And daemon isn't offensive... reminds me of when L.A. tried to ban the terms "master" and "slave" in PATA hard drives.

My biggest annoyance with OS X is speed. I want eye candy and speed all at the same time. There are very few chances of that happening, of course, but it is still a dream...

6. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Just a quick question. Were you just reading the info in that article a while back that demonized apple computers? That was a spoof.

7. Queso macrumors G4

That spoof was funny. People complaining that Apple are promoting evolution by naming an OS component Darwin, and their logo representing the fall of man from Genesis :D

Not to mention this little fella (Hexley the Platypus) carrying a very evil looking Trident

[​IMG]

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah it cracked me up when I read it, it's kind of scary to think there are actually people who think that way. :confused:

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

check out version tracker or a thread of mine from a while back. i can't seem to find it right now, but there is a freeware app that will fix the balance bug for you thats out there.

no comment on the rest besides that the Finder could use some sprucing up, although it is functional.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, this guy actually thinks the term Daemon is offensive to people??

I thought he meant inappropriate because the term refers to something that isn't really a UNIX daemon because of something OSX does to the kernal or something similarly nerdy.

Oh this is just too funny, looks like OSX really is the work of the devil. But then, if Hell runs on Macs maybe we're looking at things all wrong.

Or maybe the OP's just a:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe the OP is just fishing.

One thing they're doing is not responding.

C'Mon GodBless, explain yourself.

11. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

12. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Heck, I understand the OP. I'm french, and I find it offensive that my computer spends its time working on "Bits" (coming from a Binary Background). Plus it's called a Mac, some dirty business must be going on ;)

Ok, in french, 'bit' is an homonym of the english slang 'wiener'. Undergrad CS spend their first semester struggling to stiffle a laugh, and "Mac" means "Pimp".

ps: To the OP, having a Daemon running in the background & constantly sucking-up resources, silently, could be used as a good analogy wrt temptation, no? :)

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good question Chundles.

14. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm sorry, but I cannot help laughing.

Firstly, you think 'daemon' is a 'demon' and although it once could be spelt like that it's original meaning is completely different. Daemon is a great word meaning the COMPLETE OPPOSITE - in ancient Greek belief) a divinity or supernatural being of a nature between gods and humans. • an inner or attendant spirit or inspiring force. So don't assume OS X/UNIX is being ungodly just because you can't be bothered to pick up a dictionary.

Secondly, your 'other' problems with OS X are completely bland. It's like saying 'My problem with christians are that i) they pray ii) they use inappropriate verses.. etc' - Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Christian but your points are just too general. If you wish to provide a useful thread then expand on 'Spotlight's poor design' or 'Finder's poor design' - what does this mean?!

Thirdly, and I have to say the funniest, is your signiture - If I had a bias then I wouldn't be reasonable. Ha ha. So, you're unreasonable then?

15. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

I never read the article. If you sent me a link I might be interested to post an opinion review about it here afterwards.

Yes that trident logo with the evolutionary platypus/duck is annoying. People need to give credit to God for their creations -- all we as humans can do is recreate from God's creation. Here are some examples:

- To make a table use a tree that God made.
    - To make several variations of colors use the three primary colors that God made.
    - To build a computer use the physical elements that God made (and don't forget to reflect God with your creation by producing something useful and safe and by all means give it a name and logo that glorifies the Trinity (The Father, Jesus and The Holy Spirit).

Think about it, we can't even create life from scratch, even with all of our knowledge -- who'd be stupid enough to say that we formed by chance? That is like saying that a tornado goes through a junk yard and happens to put together an Apple Computer -- except that would be offensive to God since the design of the human body is better than the design of any computer (Apple or not). The human body is extremely efficient, can reproduce itself, can repair itself and strives to live (it initially doesn't break down over time but gets stronger and stronger up until about the age of 18). No man-made device is better than the human body nor will it ever be (in my opinion).

Fundamentalism is believing that standards exist; relativity is believing that they don’t. Evolution is believing that luck is the best creator; creationism is believing that skill is the best creator. (Think about it -- Michael Jordan wasn't really that good at basketball, he was just lucky. Good joke -- right?)

Liberalism is believing that fundamentals are relative; conservatism is believing that fundamentals are solid. (Reminds me of the building a house on the sand parable that Jesus told: Matthew 7:24-27 parable linked here)

Oh yeah and if you are not politically right then you are politically incorrect. (No offense. ;))

I report; you decide. :D :cool:

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So many things I'd like to argue with here. Shouldn't the above post be in the Political Forum?

17. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Who told you that "God" made these things?

And you believe a supreme being with unlimited power and wisdom would get annoyed over a little duck icon?

18. Queso macrumors G4

Er...I think you're sort of missing the essential argument of evolution. The human body hasn't developed by chance at all, it's just the most successfully adapted design of all the possibilities for our environment. And it's not over yet. As the environment changes, humans will either continue to adapt, or die out.

Pre-history is littered with creatures that were extremely successful under certain conditions but couldn't cope with changes to their environment so became extinct. I suspect there have been millions of offshoots of the core mammalian design over the years since the larger dinosaur's disappearance created a hole in the planet's balance, but those mammals that survived are obviously the most successful, or they wouldn't have survived. That's not chance, it's how nature works.

19. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

At the risk of moving to wasteland/religion/politics... I'm going to reply anyway:

Does the Bible also not say be evangelical to a point, but do not force religion onto others. It is their choice to be sinners.

20. Queso macrumors G4

That's the argument I have against this concept of Worship. If God is powerful enough to create the entire universe, His ego is going to be strong enough to cope without being constantly thanked.

Anyway, what all this has to do with OSX problems is a bit beyond me :confused: At least the thread now appears to be in the rightful place for the path it's taken.

21. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

Thanks! :) It has been bothering me for the longest time.

I never looked for a solution because I thought there probably wouldn't be one since Apple hadn't fixed it but I guess I was wrong.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hope you're fishing because your arguments don't make any sense.

A tornado ripping through a junkyard and making an Apple computer? Very highly improbable yes, in a time frame we can understand. Over many billions of years with many billions of tornadoes and many billions of junkyards the odds shorten considerably.

And in real life we're not talking about something as complex as an Apple computer, we're talking about simple tiny little chemicals, bumping into each other and reacting, changing their properties. These little chemicals then bump into each other and so on, conditions change and most of them break apart, the ones that survive are allowed to continue to bump around. Soon enough (millions of years later) these chemicals have started to form chains and loops and all sorts of funky structures that allow them to start interacting differently, allowing them to consume energy from sunlight and convert it into heat and other molecules - some chemicals even resemble the original parent molecules and tadaa! We have reproduction and the game begins, the molecules that can reproduce become prevalent and over time become even better at reproducing - they're not "learning" how to reproduce, they just "are" reproducing, random mutation in the structure allows for new structures to become dominant and so on. There is no "purpose" here, they can't think, they're just doing what they do.

This is millions and millions of years remember and molecules have become complex structures, some of them are now cells. We consider them to be "alive" because they move, and "eat" and reproduce but all they are doing is all they can do. Some cells interact with each other and become better at consuming energy and reproducing than others, remember, they don't "learn" how to do this, they just "do."

On and on we go, growing, forming, dying, changing, evolving steadily over the eons into the various species on the planet today. All a product of random chance and mutation and all at the same evolutionary point. That's right, there is no underlying goal of evolution beyond successful reproduction. Evolution isn't trying to guide us towards an ultimate point, a slug is as evolved as a human because both have survived long enough to reproduce successfully in the modern era.

You may see the beliefs I hold as lacking in wonder, I disagree. I see the world as a magnificent place and I'm in awe of the processes and the flow of time that led us here. I do not, however see any influence of some all-powerful deity in the way the world works.

23. GodBless thread starter macrumors 65816

GodBless

The simplest cell structure that can successfully reproduce is more complex than numerous volumes of encyclopedias that were not only given intense knowledge to create but had to be manufactured which took knowledge too. Also think about how the cells parts communicate with each other. I suppose (by your standards) that when I give this response to you it is just random brain chemicals interacting with each other that makes my fingers type on this keyboard. I find that hard to believe. I believe that I have a soul that can exist whether or not I have this body.

I don't see constructive things happening by chance -- any scientist knows that all things break down over time. How can a person believe that this beautiful, yet fundamental, yet complex creation could have happened by chance? Life can be wiped out with a simple change in the atmosphere yet it is preserved. Did that just happen by chance? I think not. I know that God provides protection for all of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.