Worst PC Experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevento, Jan 3, 2007.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Ok lets all share the worst expirience we've had with PC's. and share our opinions about which brand of PC is the crappiest.

my brother bought a Dell for $700 for school and he had the 6 month warranty. i kid you not, one month after that warranty ended, his computer died completely and he called Dell and after connecting him to a hudnred different automated phone machines, one of them said "you warranty has expired. goodbye" and hung up on him.
    dell have him no help with their crappy merchandise.
    All the kids in my dorm have the same dell computer that puts the speakers and play buttons on the front of the computer, in a place where your wrists cover the speakers and its hard to reach the play button while typing.
    these computers have the worst, ugiest matte displays you have ever seen and the power cord keeps falling out so its hard to charge.

oh and the battery of the computer gets so hot AFTER AN HOUR OF USE that they cant sit it on their lap (where all laptops belong, hence the name) and putting it to sleep is no help. they have to shut their computers down and reboot them all the time. lol

what's your PC horror story?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You obviously never booted up a Macbook Pro to Windows XP using bootcamp.

The LCD is horrifying. I can't think of a lesser word.

Strangely it somehow looks better on OSX though.

Your Dell experiences mirror those of the Core Duo Macbook (Pro) users, but at least Apple has decent service.

3. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

I had an old thrown together PC that totally wiped it's hard drive 7 times in 6 weeks, I lost everything 7 times over, that's when i got my iMac and soon my Sawtooth.

4. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I am still using my 2002 Gateway 500s. Gateway have been a$$holes to me though.

One day my computer decided to start requiring an administrator name and password, even though, I never created one.

So all of sudden, I couldn't log on or reinstall the OS. I call Gateway for support and after many hours of conversations, they told me I needed to insert the restore cd. problem was that they never shipped it. I told them this and they said I was out of luck and needed to buy a new version of windows....they wouldn't send me the oem...wouldn't even let me pay for it!!!

Well I have a friend who is a pirate, so I was able to fix it on my own.

Since then, my computer has still needed to be reinstalled problaby 5 time in the past year.

I think it had to do with winblows service nutsack 2. I tried to load winblows service nutsack 2, the computer would totally f-up on me. Without fail, after a few days, I would have to reinstall the OS.

lately it has stablized a little bit, but my settings still change on me from time to time...I even replaced the hard drive to make sure that it wasn't the culrit.

I can't wait to actually get a decent computer....probably a macbook (or mbp).

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

6. FullCollapse macrumors regular

compaq. the first computer my family bought was a compaq presario and the problems with it were endless. when that one finally died, my mother decided to go out and buy ANOTHER compaq. that one had problems also but not like the first one. the hard drive failed or something else happened to that one, so now my sister is running on some Acer nonsense. everyone else has their own computer now, myself included so i can't comment on the acer. in my experience compaq is the worst computer manufacturer.

7. Film Divine macrumors newbie

I don't recall a particular instance, but one thing that comes to mind is Windows Me. I would have rather used DOS than that OS again.

8. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

The PC ate my paper and went beep beep beep beep beep

it was a good paper, too

9. Hallo macrumors newbie

I wonder if thats goingto be what they say about Vista?

10. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

There's a massive thread all about horrible PC experiences here.

11. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

i think everyone has a horrible expirience with one particular brand of PC and that is the worst in their opinion.
    there are tons of kids in my dorm who HATE the dell inspirion their mom bought for them, but there are a few who swear by their XPS's.
    (when you close an inspirion notebook IT SHUTS DOWN and my friend couldnt figure out how to turn that feature off.)
    I've had great expiriences with all my PCs that i have ever owned which have been HP (which is made by compaq).

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

My Sager laptop broke. It was under extended warranty, and yet it's been 8 weeks, and I have yet to see it fixed. It was sent back to me "fixed" once, but really was still not working. I'm hopefully getting it back soon, before 9 weeks of being broken!

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

Ugh.™ I had it an HP PC, it sucked and got bogged down übereasy. Now it has:
    a crapped out mobo
    PHYSICALLY burnt RAM(there IS burn MARKS :-O )
    CD Drives busted
    Hard drive dead.
    CPU Dead.

This computer is DONE.

And, there is my Compaq R4000.
    I thought it's hard drive died, and that is what Compaq said. I gave it to my brother. He used it for 6 months. Now it doesn't boot whatsoever.

14. gco212 macrumors 6502

Your friend really doesn't know how to work a computer, does he? Just click on Adjust Power Properties (you can get their by right clicking the battery meter), and click advanced and under the title "When I close the Lid of my Portable Computer" change it to whatever he wants. Also, shutting it down is not an option, your friend just has it set to hibernate or standby which conserve battery power, but don't shut down the computer.

15. California macrumors 68040

California

The last time I used a PC was in about 1986 or 1987, yes BEFORE they stole the Mac icon desktop and called it "Windows".

Code code codes. Insane. You had to write down all the codes and passwords and formulas and then all you had was a screen of numbers or letters and lines.

SO when I was in school and they had ancient but great Mac IIs in the lab, it was so easy and wonderful. Never ever looked back.

16. Quboid macrumors 6502

My wost PC expierence was actaully why emulating it on my mac. It just looked so wrong on my screen.

17. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

bad?

turned on my IBM pc that i'd had for a couple of years. blue screen.
    restart it. blue screen. ask highly experienced tech friend what i should do, he says boot from disk and see what happens. it works, but it means i'll have to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch. it means i lose everything on my hard disk, including all my thousands of mp3's, documents and photos. major, major suck.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

...and then i had to write it again and had to do it fast so it wasn't as good, its kind of......a bummer.

19. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I bought a Dell 8200 when they were the king of the hill so to speak. Cost me a small fortune. It never worked right. It only boots one out of every 4 tries. Dell support sent me more crap even though I have on-site support. To this day, it only boots correctly 1 in 4 times. Although, once it boots, its flawless.

I spent 3 years on the phone with Dell, about once a month to no resolve. I got so tired of talking to Support, asking me to plug a lamp into my outlet that I just gave up.

I now own a Mac and won't be buying any more PC's. I think the whole XP auto update to check if you legally own it really pushed me over the edge. I own 2 copies of XP pro and Win 2K and they all came up as illegal. What a bunch of crap... I'm not going through that with Vista.

Apple has another convert here!

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Sounds like a BIOS problem. Granted, if I bought a Dell, I'd completely kill the disk and start over...

21. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

getting the blue screen of death, it makes me cry

22. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Amen.

23. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

compaq *shiver*

i think the worst pc's aren't just from one company, just that the cheap ones are the crappiest.
    My father bought a compaq, must have been one of the cheapest computers on the market at the time, wow that computer sucked.

The first windows computer my family got was an old IBM win 95, to this day i still hate IBM and would NEVER buy one of their computers.
    This IBM had USB ports but for some reason win 95 doesn't support USB?!?!?!

I've heard that Compaq was it's own company but then was bought out by HP?? I think HP owns Compaq, not the other way around.

24. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

All PC's are crap ....... some are more crappy than others.

FJ

25. daveyjokes macrumors member

daveyjokes