Worst thing about Panther...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by 7on, Jan 26, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

http://www2.truman.edu/~jps137/web/worstthingaboutpanther.jpg

The bad thing is that I intentionally disconnected my mac from the network to take this pic, then after I clicked disconnect (twice) I connected back to the network, and guess what? ALEX-PC mounted. I usually thought that when disconnecting from a server (twice) it would actually disconnect rather than keep on trying to connect. No telling how many on-going networks you're trying to connect to while working away. I wouldn't mind Apple going to 10.2's network browser (though keeping the same Samba {there are some shares that won't appear in 10.2 that show up fine in 10.3}. Any news/rumors of Apple trying to make this work?

2. Xero macrumors 6502

i agree that networking in 10.3 is terrible, and very hit/miss. i have 2 shares. for instance, on the SAME PC, from the SAME hard drive, and i have to (Command + K) Mount one, and the other refuses to mount and will only show up in the finder. Honestly id rather still have to mount Windows shares like in 10.2, because then i could easily make aliases to them on the dock, and theyd auto-mount when clicked on.

EDIT: ive run into the same 'glitch' you mentioned also.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Networking has gone all whacky in Panther. In Jaguar, it was looking like it was at last going in a good direction. It was clean, simple, and intuitive. It just needed a few more tweaks, and I was looking forward to Panther to make it all perfect.

Then what? BAM! Apple pushes this nonsense in our faces... it really is sad, isn't it? Well... let's hope Apple realizes what it's done...

irmongoose

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Networking is like printing in Jaguar.

They changed so much about printing that many people couldn't print at all and yet, the reason they changed was to make certain everyone could print. It wasn't until 10.2.4 that my printer suddenly started working again with no changes from the manufacturer.

The networking support is strange. I cannot use Go to Server... anymore but I can browse and get where I'm going.

I would be sure that the changes are coming and that's why Apple has been so quiet.

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Worst thing for me? I haven't installed it on my parents' iMac or my Beige G3 yet :p

Really though, it seems to be more finicky than Jaguar, even when connecting to other Macs. but being able to renew the DHCP lease from Sys Prefs is handy.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I agree with you all...I think the Networking in Panther sucks! It was pretty much perfect in Jaguar. Now 1 day its fine and the next it kinda works, or doesn't work at all. I don't know what Apple did with the networking part of it, but I hope they fix it sometime within the next few OS X.3 updates.

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

i'll be porting over from windows 2000 to Panther in the next few days. with windows, as soon as i booted i could access my network without doing anything - will panther be worse?

9. Dragonneyes macrumors newbie

On the printing note...

Ever since upgrading to Panther a week or so ago, my printer HAS gone haywire. I have to monitor the print manager to make sure the job actually goes through instead of wasting paper by printing a little tiny bit and then deciding to stop. Also, just randomly, the little "only-for-when-it-gets-really-really-hot-in-here" fan in my 12" PB G4 kicks in. This has only happened since I installed Panther. It goes on for about a second and then fades off. Hmm.

I'm just going to sit it out and wait for updates. I'm sure they'll make everything happy as usual!

(PS. This is ASIDE from the networking issue...don't even get me STARTED there)

-Ashley

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That really depends on what you call "networking". I would assume your use is "connecting to other computers on the LAN", as many other people use it. I usually mean "connecting to a wireless/wired LAN and can get on the 'net, and perhaps poke around inside too"

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I have 23 Mac servers running ASIP to OSX and even a god-forsaken WIN2000 toaster. My laptop runs Panther and it IS a bit whacky no matter what it connects to. Shares will mount, but then drop. AFP is hit or miss but entered IP's work okay, but later also drop. Maybe it will take a bit of time to get used to the new interface, so here I wait.......and work.
    By the way: Printing has been SPECTACULAR.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Little noted thing: you can share scanners with Image Capture in Panther.

13. Indiana Mac macrumors member

I agree that networking in Panther has gotten substantially worse. It's not only more erratic but its also slow. Also, the Panther finder to me seems alot less stable(never had it crash under 10.2, 10.1, 10.0; but it does alot under Panther).

14. cubist macrumors 68020

When you guys say 'networking' you really mean 'connecting to SMB shares'. The connect to server still works, but you have to type it in explicitly. Then, you get a mounted volume under /Volumes (which doesn't include the share name - irritating).

The 'Browse' feature is kind of neat, but it needs a 'mount' button for when you want to use a mounted volume.

As far as the connection itself is concerned, the eternal beachballs, the long pauses, and so on, that's Samba and SMB. I think there is something fundamentally misdesigned with SMB (SMB over NetBIOS over TCP/IP), and it doesn't work very well. It works especially poorly over VPNs (even from Windows). Its throughput has always been poor. (Can we use AFS between Macs? Not AFP, *AFS*, the successor to NFS.)

What I'm saying here is that Samba has never been thoroughly wrung out, and here Apple has sprung it on millions of unsophisticated users. There are going to be problems, but it will eventually get better.

15. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

er, i guess i meant connecting to the net via an LAN conection (my uni is so crap that it only tells u how to do it with os 9)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, I don't mean that. I have two Macintoshes attached to an Ethernet switch. I certainly hope that I'm not using SMB shares for anything since Windows is not even close to important to me.

17. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

It's not Samba. Samba was practically perfect in Jaguar (with the exception that a few shares wouldn't show up when browsed, fixed in Panther Samba though). However, if the Jag interface would be brought back, that'd be awesome. It's a proven interface that works.

18. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Every time my screensaver has been on a while and the screen has gone to sleep it always takes a long time for the password dialog box to come up. It was almost immediate with jaguar, and i could start typing my password before it came up, but with panther you have to wait until it shows up. Since i put my screensaver up often so people won't mess with my computer, it becomes annoyin having to wait for 10 seconds every time.