Worst thing you've ever done to your stuff and have it recover

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MatthewCobb, Oct 5, 2006.

1. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    I just discovered a missing 1GB data stick which has been in the washing machine for about a month, and must have gone round about 15 times. It still works!

In the past I drenched my PBG4 in red wine (waste!), which made the screen go wiggy for a while until it all drained out.

Whats the worst thing anyone else has done to their stuff - and have it recover?
  2. bossass macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    I got nothing like that. The washing machine thing is pretty impressive.
  3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Erm, Apple headphones went through the was and still worked. I'm normally *Touch wood* really careful...
  4. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    My Nokia 6150 (this was quite a while ago ;) ) dropped in the toilet once. It killed 2 or 3 lines of pixels on the screen, but after it dried up it worked fine. And yes, I had flushed already :rolleyes: .

I also had my Ericsson T39 go into the washing machine once. Did the entire cycle. Came out completely dead, but after 4 or 5 days of drying it worked fine! On top of that it smelled good too :D
  5. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I've put my 5G iPod through quite a bit, like it slipping out of my hand while jogging and going for a ten foot long tumble. The worst was when it fell out of my pocket while I was bending over a bowl of water and got completely submerged. I grabbed it as quickly as possible and dried it off using a towl and canned air. ;) I let it sit for about a minute and turned it on, and the thing didn't have a single problem. :)

The only other thing I can think of is my wife's iBook has taken a few tumbles from anywhere between two to five feet. It still works just fine still too.
  6. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    ibook plopped out of the bookbag and tumbled, worked fine

cell phone went through hell and back. i would always throw it when i was mad becuase i knew it would never ever break
  7. usbcd36 macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2006
    I put my iPod remote and earbuds through the wash once. The remote didn't work properly for about a week, but it's fine now. The headphones weren't affected at all.

They also got very clean as a result.
  8. bossass macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2006
    It's probably a good idea to wash those things once in a while anyway.
  9. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2006
    Once I was looking for something under the couch and I dropped my phat ds but i didnt notice. So I sat back down on the couch and when I looked for my ds I didnt see it. so i looked under the couch and it was under one of the legs of the couch. But all that happened was that it got some scratches.
  10. iShane macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2006
    New York
    I went into the ocean with my phone in my pocket. Remembered, came out set it out to dry under a lamp. At first only the outside screen worked but now the inside screen works and the outside screen doesn't work. I guess its not completely recovered because of the screen but it still works fine!
  11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    My iPod earbuds have been completely submerged in water and still work. My iBook power adapter has been tripped over and completely bent with metal coming apart where they are joined and the pole in the center of the circle touching the metal, although after some work with pliers and bending it back into shape it works (this has happened 4 or 5 times). Seimens phone slammed down on rug hard several times and still works (all on purpose because the phone sucked). Samsung phone accidently dropped from waist height several times and still works. That's a lot of mishaps considering I'm careful with my stuff.
  12. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    My Razr got a VERY small amount of water spilled on it from my friend at a restaurant :rolleyes: And, believe it or not, the camera WILL NOT work...and it was hardly submerged or drenched, just a few spots. Stupid Razr is WAYYYY to fragile and I am mad. Oh well, everything else works so that is good I guess...

Oh yeah, I've dropped my 30GB iPod from about 5 feet onto a hard wood floor today.....and when I picked it up it was still playing like a champ :D I LOVE my iPod! haha
  13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    This one time...

I lost my pda and couldn't find it anywhere in the house. My sister found it a few days later in the freezer frozen solid!

I let it thaw in the sun and it still worked! It was only a cheapo machine as well, nothing like a palm or pocketpc type pda.
  14. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    I have a co-worker who dropped his phone off balconies before and the thing still worked minus having to super glue the battery and cover in place :).

I like to sit with my wireless keyboards in my lap sometimes and have dropped them several times. In fact, I just dropped my Apple Wireless keyboard for the first time about 10 minutes ago (prompted me to search for a similar thread). It didn't work for about a minute (auto-shutoff?) but eventually the light came on and of course its working since I am using it.
  15. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    I had a problem with Sprint so I called the BBB. After sorting out my situation with Sprint customer service guys I got a free Audiovox 6600

The bad part was that about 4 months later I was taking my phone out of the hip holder thingy and accidentally lost control of it. This caused the phone to flip out of my hand and to coming crashing down on our wood floor (these word floors are not the soft kind either)... This cracked the screen , so i could no longer use it.

Then!!! I took it to the store and they said I couldn't do anyhting about it it was my fault. So I went out and bought the insurance from Sprint and came back. They said they'd look in the back for the 6600, but to my relief they came back with the 6700!

Edit: Oh and the now 6700 I have now just broke for some reason, but not my fault this time, so now I have another one they replaced mine with... I feel bad about it though...
  16. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I had an old Motorola cell phone about 4 or 5 years ago that I put in a ziploc bag while I was at Islands of Adventure or something of the sort. Turns out the bag worked really well holding in the water I was trying to protect the phone from. After draining the phone out and soaking it in the sun for a short few minutes, it fired right back up and worked fine, even with moisture under the screen. It still turns on fine to this day, but being the cell phone addict I am, it was quickly replaced.
  17. simontarr macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    A friend of mine dropped his phone in the bath, which naturally broke it...or so we thought. Having nothing to lose, I suggested putting it in the tumble dryer and hey presto! It came back to life!

I have no idea how.
  18. Agurri macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Québec, Canada
    4 days after receiving my brand new 3G 20 GB iPod ... i was using it, and I dropped it from 3 feet high ... the iPod went flat on the floor (metal side) and the HDD wouldn't work anymore ... so I call Apple and I said the iPod came dead on arrival .. got a brand new ... I remember, I posted here about that lol...
  19. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    A few weeks after receiving my 5G, my iPod fell through one of my coat pockets on my way into work. It was in its felt sleeve, and sat in a puddle of snow slush until I came back out 8 hours later, after work. It was a rainy day, so it had been hit on both sides by water; after letting it dry out for a day and a half, it's worked brilliantly since.

Man, I was panicked when I couldn't find it in its usual spot (my pants pocket). It was just sitting in the parking lot, hidden a bit by being under my car; I'm rather fortunate that no one grabbed it. Being in its felt pocket certainly made it less recognizable as an iPod, at least.
  20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Years ago, I was DJ'ing at a party.

I finished my set, and picked up the lid to my turntable case, and sealed up my Deck.

A friend standing next to me said, "um, I think you just spilled beer on your turntable..." I was like WHAT :eek: , opened up the case, and sure enough....drenched in beer, how I didn't see it happen I'll never know....:confused:

Turned the deck upside down for two days, and it works great even today some 6 years later, Technics 1200 are absolute TANKS !!