Worst Things About Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Spock, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

O.K I heard what You like about XP, know I want to know what You don't like about XP and why You use a Mac. Please keep clean and simple.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Product Activation, CD-key checked when WindowsUpdate run, all that privacy kinda stuff.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

The one thing that got me to switch was one Windows Update.

Whenever it installed this Update (which was a "critical update") it would freeze my computer and I would have to remove it. So I kept getting bugged to install this update. Then they decided to roll that update into a package with all the other critical updates, so I could no longer update. Way to go QA department.

My computer finally died when Windows openly let another program overwrite some of my DLLs.

The product activation thing never bothered me. I have a legal copy and all it requres is clicking one button. Big deal. If Panther starts getting pirated a lot, don't be surprised if 10.4 requires activation.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Takes too long for anything to work once I log in. Also, on a network, XP takes about 2-3 minutes to finish login, os X takes about 30 seconds.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    oooo them and their send report to microsoft annoying thingy ugh

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Overcomplicated.

Yeah, I know, a featue of Windows in general but in XP they seem to have made everything even more complex when trying to simplify things for the consumer. Too many buttons!

I'm not a complete lemon when it comes to computers but it makes me appreciate how simple and easy Mac OS X is to use.

Glad they fixed the crashing problem though.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't like the whole contextual based GUI or whatever it is they call it. Whenever I have to use it or fix one of my sisters' computers, I am continually being circumvented by Windows itself making me have to use some "wizard" that doesn't give me the options I need to do what I need to fix the problem. Not to mention, going into any folder or window just knocks you over with 1/3 of the window being taken up by useless "suggestions" of what I must want to do but none of them are of any use to me. It just seems so idiot proofed that Windows itself has become the very icon of idiocy. It just seems like Microsoft wasn't content with having simple, straight forward folders, control panels, and access to features and tools, but instead, had to make everything a wizard and everything trying to tell you what you must want to do as if you had no clue what a "Folder" or an "Icon" was.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Spock

Some stuff that are a little more exotic:

-Propensity to spontaneously change its settings.

-Lack of common sense in some settings
    For example, When I'm working, I wire my 12PB to ethernet, and create a private wireless network so my T30 (XP Pro) can bridge in - two machines, one connection, no hubs or basestations. Every now and then, the wireless network setting and LAN network setting in the XP box will start DHCP'ing to each other (incestuous isn't it?) thereby removing itself from net-workability. Why didn't MS think that this was even a possibility of occurrence when they wrote this? Stands to reason that if one active connection happens to grab the same IP another active connection is serving in the same OS instance, may-not-be-a-good-idea.

-XP is in my face. I'm skilled a teensy bit above the average user - get that wizard out of there. No more clippy! If xp want to tell me something, fine, let it, just don't unfocus me from my current task so I'm not typing into oblivion. (I've noticed even the Mac versions of MS products usurp focus too).

-Errors are terse, and accusatory - just pisses me off.

-Help files are rarely useful - Don't tell me that I can to the wonderful thing I am asking about, tell me how to use it!

-I'm not the master of the system, MS is.
    Ever try to remove MSN Messenger (just one example)? The icon and GUI goes, but the functionality stays - so when I connect, it kicks off an already connected machine.

-Needs a lot of hand-holding. I'm running Oracle, VPN, Apache, TomCat, CVS, and a lot of other things. I need to do my work, not constantly tweaking the damn thing so that I can do that work - again, get out of my bloody way!

9. voodoofish macrumors regular

The lack of anything close to iLife that I would acctually want to use. Their insistence on stupid proprietory formats such as WMA. I HATE how windows media works - means you have to use loads of different applications by different companies that don't work well together. Even when using microsoft products, they don't work well, for example I've used Pocket PC and Windows SmartPhone, both of which are made by Microsoft, and yet it was hellishly difficult to get either of them to work well with the PC. For example, SmartPhone has Windows MediaPlayer built in, but msft make no attempt to explain how to transfer files from PC to your cellphone with it, and infact you cannot even do it through WMP itself, which would be the logical thing to do!! When using Word 2003 to read documents made in older versions of word (ie. 2000), the formating is displayed incorrectly!!

10. bannedagain macrumors member

Re: Worst Things About Windows XP

I hate that these dam threads keep popping up, just like the dam popups in WinXP. I have turned them all off.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

All I remember is getting pissed off at everything: 30 updates in the first week I had it, losing the wireless signal at any moment, flakey ethernet, my info going directly to Redmond, a stupid metaphor for a desktop, colors are garrish but any mods slows the machine to a crawl, the wizard, losing "X" function when you delete "Y", REALLY ugly version of Office, setting up printing, setting up access to servers, setting up users and permissions, and on and on and on.
    Now I use my $2,000 tablet for Pinball (Just over 12,000,000 man!), and the other day I fired it up to use the Journal to draw my remodelling plans for my basement. I found that paper and pencil was easier.
    Windows is stupid (or "evil"), tablets are a travesty offered to an unwitting public.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The worst thing about XP? Couldn't tell ya, as I have much more experience on 98 (ick!) and 2000 Pro. Ever use 2k Pro on a 300MHz P2? worse than Jaguar on a 333MHz iMac! I don't know if it's fixed in XP, but I hate how whenever the system slows down, there's no way to tell reliably. Sure there's the hourglass, but it doesn't show up all the time. Oh, and I can't stand the way file hierarchy works in Windows, it just seems so illogical. And there's also the drive name thing. A: is the floppy (Why they still exist, I don't know) Then come the optical drives, then hard drives. Want to change the letter? TOO DAMN BAD! :mad:

13. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Nothing wrong with XP, if you have a up to date PC. But it comes in 2nd to win 2k. That OS was damn near perfect.

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-1macker1

Then I suppose you are not stressing the system enough.

This is supposed to be a thread about "Worst Things About Windows XP", to say it's perfect may be a little on the naive side.

There is no such thing as anything perfect, especially OS's. I find it particularly interesting that XP makes it so easy to pick on.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, I can tell that most of you aren't computer lovers. At least you don't use windows too much. I am a mac user. I am a linux user. I haven't used windows as a primary os for some time now. I do use it just to keep up with it in case I ever have to use it. There are good things and bad things. They have many things that apple can lean from. Of course, the opposite is true too.

1. Activation -- ok, so it is a pain to do. I agree. But they have to. MS makes their money on software. Apple does too, but they really rely on their hardware to bring in the cash. Wouldn't you do whatever it takes to protect you biggest asset too? (even the 2004 norton products now require activation)

2. Windows Update -- I've used windows for a long time. Windows Update is the only thing that kept my computer from crashing. Those Updates have always worked for me. I just asked my roomates and they never had a problem either. And why would YOU allow your dlls to be over written. What did you install?

3. Logging in -- I use an amd 2600+ in my desktop. When i use windows i log in and in about 20-30 seconds everything is started. Don't let everything start up. There is no need to start every program and service. People want more control over their os, but don't use it.

4. Error Reports -- it takes all of 6 secons to turn this off.

5. Overcomplicated -- I agree. They added so many features (which is good) but they are all over the place. It takes a while to learn. I have to say though, once you take so much time to learn them, you'll never forget.

6. Windows Wizzards -- um, don't use them. As it was said, they are useless. Just do everything manually. I like it that way anyway.

7. Change settings -- yeah, it does that. I hate it.

8. In your face -- you can turn off the help service (which i do) to end most of this.

9. Errors are terse -- good. I don't want some long, unreadable message. Tell me what crashed and let's move on.

10. MSN Messenger -- turn off the service. Why they made it a service, i don't know. But it takes less than 10 seconds to get rid of it.

11. Hand holding -- sorry to hear that. Whenever I install windows on any computer, I tweek all I need right away. ( I do this with linux and mac as well). Do it once and get it over with.

12. Windows Media Player -- Why the hell would you use that. Download BS player and the klite codec pack. Its all you need. (I do get vlc, just in case.)

13. Pop up windws -- I hate them too. I'm glad to hear that someone turned something off though.

14. Hourglass -- agreed

15. Drive letter -- don't like them, change them. Its not that hard.

16. I used win 2k everyday for almost a year. I was shocked that ms could produce something so good (compared to their other stuff). But, 2k can't hold a candle to xp. Sorry. they are both far from perfect though.

Sorry for my long rant, but I had to play devils advocate. I'll never go back to windows, but give ms some credit. Windows has come a long way. It is now a pretty good and stable os.

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The last I knew, you could assign your own letters to each of the discs in Windows if you just right click and go to properties or something like that. I remember doing it under 95/98, but haven't tried since.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

could be an isolated case, but i have a scanner. i've used it under account A on XP, but not on account B.

i log in as B and plug in the scanner. scan a picture. nothing.

i login to account A and the scanned image is there. :eek:

what the heck is that all about?

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i know you were playing devil's advocate, but i have to respond to this one... it's not the user's responsibility to make sure that the OS doesn't do something stupid to itself. he didn't allow DLLs to be overwritten - the OS did.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Re: Worst Things About Windows XP

If you have all these damn threads turned off, how were you able to post here? [​IMG]

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

XP will not normally let dlls be overwritten. You need extra software, sofe mode, or certain defined occasions.

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Our old Gateway would get terribly screwed up whenever we ran Software Update. It would get stuck in the DOS portion of bootup (or not DOS, whatever it was). It just kept scrolling something about an error has occured with updating the Windows System Files and then gave a "error %2 cannot equal %1" or something like that and then it'd just sit there until we restart and had to use our Adaptec "Go Back" to go back to a previous save point to reboot. We had a similar issue with my sister's Compaq system when upgrading to the XP SP1 update where it caused Windows to hang during boot where it would go into the desktop and just sit there at the pale blue desktop background and load indefinitely until you do a ctl+alt+del a couple of times and then it will finally load.

Between those experiences with software update and the fact that there are so many that need to be done, and many of which must be done individually, it is so much a headache that I cannot stand doing it. Fortunately, though, the Dell we have hasn't had much problem with it and hopefully it will stay that way.

22. rjfiske macrumors regular

What I don't like about XP? It's not OS X

Not exactly the "answer" you were looking for, nor is it specific (it also has the appearance of a loaded or scripted answer) but I went into an apple store, saw OS X (back then it was Jaguar) and fell in love with it's feel. I remember thinking (and this sounds soo much like a cliche') "Man, THIS is how using a computer should be".

The fonts all over the screen on OS X were very crisp (unlike XP), it looked cleaner (unlike XP), the windows seemed more friendly when you maximize and minimize (unlike XP), the default internet browser was very easy to use and elegant (unlike XP)... I could go on.

So I switched and have not regretted it in the least. Anyway, it's easy for me to list a bunch of things that annoyed me about XP but it's much much easier to say that I don't like it because it doesnt' do the stuff that my current OS does.

I suppose you say I have a retrospective dislike for XP... one that only started when I saw OS X. (I hope Apple's marketing department saw that one).

23. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

one thing I don't like about XP: it isn't BeOS ;)

24. mms macrumors 6502a

I agree with everything so far, but another thing that annoys me is the GUI that looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price. Once you see the elegance of OS X you can't go back. And Windows gets in the way, while OS X lets me work.

25. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

How about, the fact that I got a Dell -> It started shutting off after overheating -> one day it wouldn't startup -> they tell me to reformat it -> it overheats in the process and shuts off -> i had to hold it in front of a air con to manage it on the 5th go -> it started having internet issues a day later -> got told to reformat -> still overheats -> they tell me to update the BIOS -> it won't install due to "incompatible system" when it is very definitely the right system -> they say they'll send a tech after 2 weeks of fone talk -> he still hasn't come a week later.

Now of course, that was mostly about the PC rather than XP. But through the process I realised how much I hate the install process.