Worth buying another isight camera?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cpnotebook80, Feb 7, 2007.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I have some one selling an isight camera.I know its a rare item to find except on ebay.However, im wondering, i already have the new iMac 20" with built insight.
    does having the external camera make much of a difference versus the built in one?
    It looks quite big for an external etc and does it have a mic too??

If i connect it to the firewire, will i have the choice to choose which camera i would like to make videos etc?

bottom line in the end would be, having the external sight, is it better than built in ones.

i noticed at macworlds, that jobs used the external isight so there must be some superiority difference in it.
    Also any idea if there is a new one coming out?

any advice..thanks!

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

External does have better quality, but I'll never buy one. It's silly to have one iSight on top of another because the built-in wasn't quite as good.

3. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

About the MacWorld.. taking a guess here, but Jobs was probably using an Apple Cinema Display, which does not already have a built-in iSight.

5. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah ok....but i did see the one macworld 2006 where he introduced the new imac with intel chips and the imacs had isight on it even thought they were built in it.
    Ill check that again.

One think i like abuot the isight is time lapse movies etc.using software like gawker
    http://gawker.sourceforge.net/Gawker.html

Can't do that with a built in one.

Im assuming there wouldnt be a conflict with 2 isights on an imac?
    one using firewire and other built in.you think?

6. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guess there weren't any external isights around.

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

The real advantages of an external iSight are that they can be pointed in any direction or put somewhere that would otherwise be inaccessible (I'm thinking of my work here - I recently wanted to put a webcam inside a machine enclosure to film a cutting tool working. Not something I want to do with my MBP!). Also you can switch it off and disconnect it totally.
    One thing I'm not sure how to do is attach an external iSight and get an app, eg QT, to select it rather than using the built in one.