Worth it?: iBook G3 800Mhz to New iBook G4 1.2Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBunny, Dec 31, 2004.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    My friend who has a iBook G3 800Mhz, 128MB of RAM and OSX.2 is wondering if he should spend the money and get a brand new iBook 12 inch... or just try maxing out the ram in his current iBook.

Now if putting another 512mb of ram, and getting panther for his machine will do him wonders great, this is what we will do.. but even with all this... how can it compare to getting a new iBook. Obvisully the new iBook is faster... but is it much faster? and worth it? what do you reccommend?

2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I would say so

My sister has an iBook G4 800 Mhz and I have one of the new iBook G4 1.2 GHz, and I can tell you that mine is significantly faster. Mine also has more RAM, so I couldn't tell you how much of a factor that is. However, I would think a 50% boost in processing speed as well as the jump from a G3 to a G4 would easily make the upgrade worth the money. I believe Panther is really tuned to take advantage of the G4's vector unit, as well as the iLife apps (iTunes, iPhoto, etc.). So you would at the very least see a performance boost in those applications even if you bought a G4 model rated at the same clock frequency as your G3. Plus you would have a faster bus, a faster CD burner, USB 2.0, and built-in Airport Extreme.
  3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    Upgrade to the ibook 1.2Ghz G4. It will be at least 50% faster in almost every possible scenario and in some cases may easily be twice as fast as the ibook G3 800. Your friend could spend well over $100 to upgrade the RAM and OS and he or she might be ok but a year from now they will probably be needing or wanting more power. A year from now that ibook G3 would probably be have a resale value of $200 less than what your friend could get for it now if ibook is sold today rather than a year from now. So in reality your friend would be spending about $300+ to keep ibook G3 around for another year while he or she could sell now and get about $600-$700 for it today depending on condition and specs. So that means a new ibook G4 12" would only cost about $200 more than trying to keep the ibook G3 around.
  4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Seeing as you can upgrade, do it!
    The RAM would help, but a G4 would help more.