Worth it to buy a 12" iBook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by appleseedtx, Aug 28, 2005.

1. appleseedtx macrumors newbie

I've been mulling over the idea of purchasing a 12" iBook. If I order from Amazon I can get it for ~$780 (no tax, before shipping) with the $100 rebate and $120 of gift certificates.

My only concern is, of course, the announcement of intel based Macs. I've read some posters claim that anyone that purchases a new Mac now is crazy with the intel based Macs coming out.

But $780 isn't too bad for a brand new 12" iBook 1.33...should I just go for it? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get it, that's a good buy.

Most users won't be able to tell the difference between Intel Macs and PPC ones. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never get one. :)

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Get that, like right now!!!!!!

The Intel macs wont be here for a while, plus you'll want a Rev. B, not a Rev A... where they can work out the bugs.

$780?!!?!??!?! my brand new 14" cost $1,321.75! (not including RAM, case, icurve, wireless keyboard, wirless mouse)

Get it now!
    Is this your first Mac?

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Get it. I had a great experience buying my Mac through Amazon. The iBook line was just updated. It's going to be a while before they are updated again...

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't hesitate to buy a 12" iBook G4 (especially at the price). They are very nice laptops that will provide you years of use.

6. appleseedtx thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I figured $780 for a brand new Mac was a pretty good buy. :)

Still somewhat undecided, hate for new intel Macs to come out in January! Although I guess I could always put the iBook up on ebay, even if it sold for $500 (very low for a recent model iBook), I would only be out $280.

7. appleseedtx thread starter macrumors newbie

No it won't be my first Mac, I purchased a brand new Powerbook 1400cs way back when they first came out, and owned an iBook G3 800 at one time as well. Eager to get back to Mac. As a side note, I do also own an Athlon 64 desktop so this would be a second machine for me.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that we will see any "intel inside" Macs appear before June/July '06.

I can't wait for the new 'Books with a Pentium M inside! :D But, its still not enough of a reason to not buy a new 'Book now.

Attached Files:

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That's as close to a giveaway price as one is likely to encounter. If I were you, I would seize the opportunity for such a fine laptop.

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Buy it! Amazon.com is great to work with and they are very fair on returns should you need to do so. For that price you can't go wrong and you will love the iBook! Go for it... go for it now!

11. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Do it. You will be glad to be back to Mac OS X especially with Tiger. Best Operating system you can get in terms of power and aesthetics. Plus the current iBook is perfect for typing, iTunes, lite photo editting, surfing the net, playing videos, etc.

12. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian