Worth it to connect G4 to TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mechcozmo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm wondering if it is worth it to hook up my 867MHz Quicksilver to my TV. It would remain as a server, but also perform media center duties. (Music playing, photo playing, and video/DVD playing to the TV) My TV is not an HDTV.

Is it worth it to do? I found these two things that I'd have to get. (One or the other)
    Linkety I'm not sure this is needed, but it would certainly help with the whole media-center aspect.

Linkety This would be needed to connect to the TV, as well as if Apple ever gets their act together, run various tasks (iTunes visualizer, anyone?), etc.

I know those are both PCI. That is because the AGP card in the computer now is the primary display card, and I'm not too keen on pulling it out...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What's the problem with having both video cards in at the same time?

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Your Quicksilver more than likely has a DVI out on its AGP video card. You can simply purchase one of Apple's DVI to S-Video Adapters (intended for the Mac mini) to connect to the TV, saving an investment in a secondary video card.

4. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually, this Quicksilver was in the days of Yore™ where there wasn't this DVI thing. There was ADC. ADC was like DVI, but you had USB too. DVI+USB=ADC. Adding letters, see. But not all ADC was like DVI; the earlier ones were like VGA. Gotta be careful of those. That equation is like VGA+USB=ADC.

:D

Although that was a great idea...

No problem. That is/was my plan, actually. Leave the AGP card in there while using the PCI card to output to the TV.

However I think I've found a solution, intertwined with another problem.
    Linkety If VGA is video only, why does this cord have three prongs? It should only have one to go to yellow (video), right? Or does it also have a headphone jack to pull audio off the computer?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The one with 3 cables is component and not composite. It still says RCA though.

6. portent macrumors 6502a

There was never a VGA ADC connector; all ADC connectors were the same. ADC = DVI-I + USB + Power.
    ( DVI-I = DVI-A + DVI-D; it carried both analog and digital connections.)

And some 2002 Quicksilvers did have a DVI-I port in addition to the ADC port. Those were the 800MHz 933MHz, and dual-1GHz Quicksilvers, and an educational-only 733MHz QS.

7. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Let me rephrase: Analog ADC, like how VGA is analog.

And I am quite certain it is a VGA port and an ADC port.

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Not too hot on the three letter acronyms, but my B&W G3 does just fine as a "media centre" for playing DVDs (to a monitor, haven't tried a TV, i'd imagine, if anything it would be easier if it's not HD), iTunes iPhoto etc, while also working as a web server.

I was hoping to upgrade to the lofty heights of a Quicksilver myself at some point soon, but only because my iTunes library is so ridiculously large that the B&W is struggling with it at times (nothing serious - the odd beachball when scrolling thru), and i'd like a firewire bootable backup. And, most importantly, the B&W just doesn't fit with the decor anymore.

If you can sort out the connectivity issues, the performance side should be fine.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Adaptor for VGA/ADC is likely cheaper than a card.

10. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

All ADC ports carry only the DVI connection, which can be further dumbed down to VGA. So, if you've only got ADC, get and Extractor to turn ADC into DVI, then an adaptor to turn DVI into S-Video. That'll cost you maybe $60, and save the trouble of dealing with another video card.

11. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

does anyone know if there is a VGA to Composite adapter? (Im about to google it)... I have a 53 inch Sony hdtv and if I could use my mac on it (not as a PVR) for just iTunes and stuff, I'd be stoked. I just don't like the lower resolution when I use my svideo adapter from my iBook.

12. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Will those be full-screen, or will I loose some space in overscan? I'd prefer the entire TV to be taken up by the entire OS X display, no overscan, no black.

13. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Linkety says all ADC ports DO NOT carry DVI. "The ADC 17" CRT Studio Display is not supported by DVIator as it uses analog signals instead of the digital signals that DVIator expects." Yes, Apple made CRT Displays. Yes, they used ADC. And yes, they were analog-- just like VGA.

It's pathetic I know this much Apple history, as this is a relatively obscure fact.

14. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Hey I found em cheap!!! Woohoo! Im going to need to hook that up soon! :D

So if I hook them up and adjust my resolution to match my tv, it should work right???

PS...is it pathetic of me to quote myself??? wait... don't answer that... :(
    lol

15. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Those are all Component (3 cables for video) instead of Composite (1 cable for video). My TV doesn't do that. Yes, cheap, but it isn't what I need... although glad you found something that works.

Apple's display adapters work only with G5 and Mac Mini systems. Also, no ADC-->Composite/S-Video nor VGA-->Composite/S-Video. There is, somewhat ironically, a mini-VGA to Composite/S-Video.

16. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Actually, the way the CRT Studio Displays worked was to take the DVI signal that ADC provided, and dumb down the video to VGA, while keeping the USB functionality. It's the same as using a DVI to VGA adapter, like the kind that ship with nearly every video card made in the past 2-3 years. The reason that this is the case, rather than the way you'd explained it? You can use LCD Studio/Cinema Displays on the same ADC port as the CRT Studio Displays. The LCDs are all digital, and the CRTs are analog. But, if they all work on the same port, then the port must be digital, with the CRTs dumbing down the video signal.

In short, all ADC ports are built equally, but how they are used may vary.

17. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

According to Apple(Linkety: "Buy the Apple DVI to ADC adapter to connect your DVI-equipped PowerBook G4, Mac mini, or Power Mac to an ADC-based Apple flat panel display* including: Apple Studio Display (15" or 17"), Apple Cinema Display (20"), Apple Cinema Display (22") or Apple Cinema HD Display (23")."
    The Apple Studio Display they are referencing is this one Linkety

Additionally, Xlr8yourmac has something to say on this issue: "(Note the discontinued 17in CRT Display is not supported by any current DVI->ADC adapter as they only pass the digital signals, and the CRT display uses analog video. Gefen made a DVI-ADC adapter specifically for the 17in CRT ADC display several years ago but the product was dropped as noted below as of May 2001. )" Linkety

I think that ADC did change over time, but the physical connection did not.

Back onto the thread topic:
    Why are there no VGA-->Composite adapters? They to go Component, which gives higher quality, but I don't need that quality (nor the added expense). I haven't seen a VGA-->S-Video adapter, either.

18. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

VGA to either Composite or S-Video doesn't exist as a simple adapter, but as a full blown converter, primarily due to the refresh rate. Neither Composite nor S-Video can handle the high refresh rate that VGA is stuck at (primarily because your television can't), and so the converter has to slow down the signal. These boxes tend to run for $120 or so.