Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ydaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I just got my new Retina MBP today! Do you think it is worth installing all of my apps, personal documents and Windows or should I wait until Mountain Lion is released? I don't want to have to reinstall everything in a couple of days but at the same time I really want to try out my new computer.

Rather than installing a fresh copy of ML, I can just upgrade Lion to ML. Have people run into trouble with that path? Thanks!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'd wait...It's a matter of hours now....If I want to do clean installs on all three of my Macs, it's one hell of a job. I have to move huge quantities of data off my iMac, MBP and MBA and place it on my Pegasus R4....Then move it all back again after the ML install. If you can wait a little while and put your data on after you upgrade, that's the way to go.

Sadly, I don't have a choice unless I choose to use the upgrade rather than go for a clean installation...I may wait to see how others go before I tackle it...It's a days work if I want clean installs...I'd love to be able to get away with the upgrade if I can.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I just got my new Retina MBP today! Do you think it is worth installing all of my apps, personal documents and Windows or should I wait until Mountain Lion is released? I don't want to have to reinstall everything in a couple of days but at the same time I really want to try out my new computer.

Rather than installing a fresh copy of ML, I can just upgrade Lion to ML. Have people run into trouble with that path? Thanks!

Id wait. Clean installs are almost always faster than upgrade and installs. Just a few more hours. My suggestion: keep that box out of sight till ML goes live.

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I'm in the same situation. My rMBP arrives later this evening and I am debating on installing my office and apple programs.

So if I just upgrade I won't lose any of my data? I know a clean install is the best, but does it really matter if the Macbook is brand new?

Rich

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I'd wait...It's a matter of hours now....If I want to do clean installs on all three of my Macs, it's one hell of a job. I have to move huge quantities of data off my iMac, MBP and MBA and place it on my Pegasus R4....Then move it all back again after the ML install. If you can wait a little while and put your data on after you upgrade, that's the way to go.

Sadly, I don't have a choice unless I choose to use the upgrade rather than go for a clean installation...I may wait to see how others go before I tackle it...It's a days work if I want clean installs...I'd love to be able to get away with the upgrade if I can.

If you're starting from such a recent point I'm sure your OSX is in good enough condition to be upgraded without a clean install. I've been using an install that's 8 months old but still working perfectly, so I see no reason not to to a regular upgrade leaving everything as is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.