Worth it?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KA2357, Aug 17, 2005.

1. KA2357 macrumors member

I've got a G3-800 iBook with 128MB of RAM, running OSX 10.3. The iBook runs well, though slow, and I'm wondering if people think adding 256MB (bringing it to 384) would be a worthwhile investment. I can get a 256MB SODIMM for <$70.

I only use the iBook for simple web browsing and word processing w/Word. What do you think... worth it?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, worth it!

I am of a mind that more RAM is almost always worth it. In this case, you will DEFINITELY notice a difference, so I say, GO FOR IT! :D

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

get that, or even more ram if you can, you will notice a huge difference

i have tiger on my 876mhz powerbook, i was running with 256 for a while, i upped it to the max 640 or so and its a totally different world

4. KA2357 thread starter macrumors member

OK, sounds like people are saying that a RAM upgrade is worth it, even on this older iBook. I've been looking at memory and see that I can get a Kingston 512MB PC100 SODIMM for about $175 vs. a Crucial 512MB PC133 SODIM for about $120. Both SODIMMs are supposed to be for my iBook, which has a system bus of 100 MHz. Do I need to spend the extra for the Kingston unit that's also at 100MHz, or will the Crucial SODIMM at 133 be fine -- again, both companies state their unit is compatible.

Which to get?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

6. dmied macrumors newbie

Go for it

I have a G3 500mhz iBook maxxed out to 640mb and I runs 10.3.9 just fine. If you're only using your iBook for e-mail and the like, then absolutely go for it. The 133mhz RAM will work in your computer; it will run at 100mhz. The rule for RAM is this: faster speeds will slow down to your maximum speed but slower speeds than your computer supports won't work. You will notice a good change in speed with a extra 512mb under the keyboard.

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

As long as you're name brand (Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin) you'll be fine.

Edit: almost forgot to actually recommend that you upgrade; you will notice the difference.

8. KA2357 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone... you've convinced me to go with 512MB and I'll get the Crucial SODIMM, since it's guaranteed and is $50 cheaper than Kingston. Thanks!