Worth Replacing Relatively New PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blink56k, Apr 19, 2006.

1. blink56k macrumors member

blink56k

Hi all...this seemed like a friendly enough forum so I decided to join.

Anyway, I started college the fall of last year and as an incentive to room in a triple, we (my roommates and I) received free IBM ThinkPad laptops.

Although I have been a fan of Macs since the first iMacs in 1998, it wasn't until I got a new mac mini around last Febuary (through one of those "get a free mac mini" sites, which by the way I would never do again) that I really became sort of obsessed on the goal of getting a mac for myself (since a desktop machine was impractical for me, I gave the mini to my parents, which they love).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I feel like a very spoiled and greedy kid for wanting a yet-to-come ibook/Macbook when I have a pretty decent laptop that I got for free and fulfills most if not all of my basic needs.

My school only officially supports Win2000/XP, though they will support Mac and Linux systems on a best effort basis so there's not much of a problem in terms of that.

Also, I don't use any specialized PC-only programs since all I do is wordprocessing, spreadsheets, powerpoints, and web surfing.

Is it worth getting a part time job over the summer to save for this MacBook or would I just become spoiled, wanting more and more after I get it? Would it just be a waste of my money since I already have something that does the job?

Also, what should I do with this PC laptop? I would sell it on ebay but I'm afraid of not getting a good price on it (it has stickers all over it, among them an Apple logo;) ) or it not selling at all.

Sorry for the lengthy and first post, but what are you guys' two cents on this?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, if you plan to work for the money and buy it yourself that's not really being spoiled. Spoiled would be if you expected one for no work. I know people who upgrade every 6 months.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The better equipped MacBooks will probably be running $1499.00 with
    a Core Duo.

I would expect them to run on par with a maxed out mini.

You would still need to figure in at least 1 GB additonal 3rd party RAM, so with tax
    you'll be coming in somewhere shy of $1700.

Thinkpads are pretty good as far as P/C portables go, so since yours was free, you might consider keeping the Thinkpad for running around campus and basic portable needs, then save up for a much better and more affordable 17" Core Duo iMac to use as your primary workstation in the dorm.

$1199 for the 17" iMac which gets you a 7200 RPM 160 GB HD, better 128 MB VRAM, much nicer display, faster and more powerful processing, and multi-boot capabilities, so any work you do on your Thinkpad
    will be transferable to the iMac.
    Add RAM and tax and you're in for around $1400.00