Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
I had an iMac, just returned it due to all the issues with it. I am thinking of getting the macbook pro, especially now they have just upgraded them all for free :D but do you think the "better" one is worth the money?

all you get for your money is:

256vram vs 128vram (Almost has no chance of affecting me as i only use 1 screen)

512mb extra of Ram (worth about £50 max)

170mhz extra cpu power (do you think anybody would notice?)

20gb Extra storage (I am not bothered as i have an extrenal but how much do you reckon its worth?)

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
Considering its $110 cheaper for people in the US. I would say yes. It comes with one stick of 1 GB ram which makes it easy to upgrade when the time comes.

The 256 MB of VRAM will last you longer in the years to come when it comes to pro apps that need the extra boost. I expect at some point 256 will become the standard, like 128 is now.

I also think the 1.83 to 2.0 boost will speed performance. I guess its comparable to getting a 800mhz G4 Powerbook when they were still selling the lower model 667 mhz.

In the end its really up to you, but since laptops aren't easily upgradable, and are also very expensive, I would tend to try and make it last as long as possible by pwning it with upgrades, but thats just me.

But you know, now that Apple is doing more common updates, which was just proven in the case of this very laptop, if it would ever fail in the logic board area, with Applecare of course in 2 years or so, you would probably get an updated system anyways. I guess thats the convenient thing about switching to Intel. When my logic board went in my iBook G3, which I am actually still using to type this, I got back the same thing I ordered 2 years prior, a G3 700 with 16 VRAM. I was mostly disappointed with the 16 VRAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.