worth the wait for core2duo on macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brettsinger, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. brettsinger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    #1
    I'm taking the plunge and getting a Macbook (decided I didn't need to spend the extra cash on a Pro). Thing is, I've read that *maybe* Apple will come out with core2's on the Macbook as early as next week. Any truth to that as far as you know? Also, if this isn't going to happen anytime soon, is it worth waiting for? Thanks. Longtime PC user.
     
  2. steelfist macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    #3
    a better cpu, a better intergrated graphics card, discoloring fixed, and heat problems are solved. the last three are speculations though, but still, it's worth waiting.
     
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #4
    you should wait. the MBs have not been updated since their release earlier this year and with the MBP updates last week i think a MB update is not far off.
     
  4. farqueue macrumors 6502

    farqueue

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    #5
    who said anything abt 'better' int gra card?
     
  5. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    #6
    Any idea (and I realize nothing is definite) what the date might be? This month... maybe?
     
  6. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #7
    There is a rumor about Nov 13 and an older one that is more substantiated by AppleInsider stating that the MacBook refresh should be done in time for the hiliday season.

    So....If the rumors are correct....Very soon!:D
     
  7. animenick65 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2006
    #8
    Im doubting a bump in integrated graphics. Apple does want to make sure there is a decent difference in specs when compairing their pro and pro-sumer models. I would LOVE if they bumped the integrated graphics, but I would not expect it. Apple would be dumb not to upgrade the macbook before the holidays. They stand to make quite a bit of money if they do.
     
  8. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #9
    No. You're going to be sucked into the hole that numerous other people are in right now. Apple is holding off on upgrading the MacBook until the processor speeds get higher for the Core2Duo in the MacBook Pro before they give the MacBook the C2D. You're going to be waiting for a quite a while for a computer that's going to be almost the same machine, just a slightly faster processor (but that won't make **** worth of a difference) and possibly a bigger HDD. You're better off buying the machine now because the machine that's available now is just as good as what they're going to release in the future.
     
  9. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

    dollystereo

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2004
    Location:
    France
    #10
    This is not true, any revision will be superior. The CD laptop line was having a lot of heat issues, the c2d solved this in the MPB, and I hope it will fix that in the MB to. Just wait, maybe the speed diference will no be noticiable, but design issues are more important.
    I would trade in a heart beat my CD MBP for the new one, just for the heat thing. I want to be dad some day, and this thing is boiling (even afer 2 motherboards replacements)
    Wait...
    PD:nothing aginst you warbrain, its just my point.
     
  10. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #11
    Wait until the 13th before you make a decision.
    Who knows...if the C2D do come out but there isn't a big difference, you could get a deal on the old CD.
     
  11. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #12
    The heat issue isn't the processor, it's the manner in which the company that Apple contracted out messed up with the thermal paste. The C2D didn't solve the problem in the MacBook Pro, it was the fact that Apple said "You ****ed up, fix it."
     
  12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

    Maxiseller

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    Little grey, chilly island.
    #13
    Do you know something; I posted a similar question ages and ages ago in one of these similar threads and the overwhelming sentiment was to wait - but I didn't and I purchased one straight away. That was at the beginning of September, and I'm sitting here on my sofa enjoying my Macbook browsing MacRumors while having some time off.

    My Point? You could wait till 13th November - you could wait till January - or frankly, you could wait forever...nobody knows when these things are coming out, and the Core Duo Macbooks are lovely machines.

    I say enjoy your purchase now. You can always upgrade - but there will ALWAYS be something better about to be released. Thats Apple's plan y'know. That way they get to earn money!

    Oh and by the way; the C2D and the Core Duo are not going to do anything the other can't at this point. The issues with the Macbooks have been solved over the last few months and if you buy a unit now, it will be fine!
     
  13. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #14
    endless cycle, for god sake, its a computer, and it WILL BE out of CPU's developing pace in 6 month no matter what you get, CD? C2D, C3D, C4D..... CnD,......... using computer shouldn't be like playing games. Its like being prisoned in Guantanamo Bay...... no way outtttt,,:D
     
  14. dongmin macrumors 68000

    dongmin

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    #15
    Same old rule: If you need it now, by all means, buy now. If you can wait, wait.

    Personally, if you can find a good deal now, I'd get one. If and when the Macbook revision comes, it'll be a minor minor bump. It's still selling like hotcakes. They did a major redesign the last time around. And I'm not sure what new technology they could put in it, other than maybe a 802.11n card.

    C2D won't give you any major speed or power/heat advantage over the CD. At most, they'll bump it to 2.16 ghz, which is less than a 10% increase.
     
  15. esabourin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    #16
    simply disagree...
    at this point wait, it can't be more than a week or two or maybe tomorow (Crosses finger),,,and if u buy it now,,u'll regret once the updated version comes out, even if it's not a huge update,,i personally thin you shouldn't be paying the same price for a year old machine,,,

    the my opinion tho.
     
  16. WillMak macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #17
    There's a chance that the new MBs could use the integrated intel 3000 which has support for hardware T&L as well as other goodies that the 950 doesn't have. It still won't be as good as a dedicated card but should be a lot better than the 950.
     
  17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #18
    No chipset changes, so nothing changing but the optical drive, memory levels, HD sizes, wireless card, and CPU.

    Unlike the Pro, the FW is likely to remain FW400 only.

    Edit: integrated intel 3000 comes with the 965 chipset in 2007 -- the MacBooks, Mini, iMac all have the mobile 945 chipset.
     
  18. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    South Australia, Australia
    #19
    I'd wait - it's too close

    I know others here have continually stated that there will be no MB update until next year - Warbrain for example has consistently said that there will be no update of the MB until 2007.

    I think however there will be an update within 2 weeks - so my opinion is to wait. The MB's have been a bit hit and miss quality-wise - so a new revision is bound to be better.

    Warbrain: I''ll be the first to admit I'm wrong (to you) and respect to you if you are right in predicting Apples moves - but I think you are way off here.
     
  19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

    Jay42

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #20
    It seems to me that any application where the C2D MacBook would have a significant advantage over the CD model would be limited by the graphics card anyway. The real beneficiaries of this new chip are really the pros doing the really high end stuff. You're not gonna want to do that stuff on a MacBook anyway; the vast majority use these machines for more or less day to day tasks, for which the CD is more than adequate. And don't think the CD MacBook isn't up for occasional RAW photo editing or multitrack recordings in Garageband: it's the same chip everyone was using in their notebooks until a couple weeks ago.

    My suggestion: buy now if you want a new machine. You will still be inside the return period if Apple does something on the 13th, which I think is unlikely.
     
  20. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

    dollystereo

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2004
    Location:
    France
    #21
    Thermal paste have nothing to do. Dont believe in that post.
    The man who fixed my Macbook pros whine, reapplied correctly the paste, and now i get around 2C less than before. (Around 55C all the time).
    So, its a design factor.
     
  21. Warbrain macrumors 603

    Warbrain

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #22
    Yes, your MacBook Pro, which will feel hotter because of the fact that it has an aluminum casing as compared to a plastic casing.
     
  22. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #23
    yeah. i sat looking at all these merom threads a while back, early august and waited and was so worries, and bought one thinking they be released the next day, and still none, you can wait forever and no one knows exactly what apples doing. just get it and be happy, unless you are in NO rush, than wait, but realize there will always be a thread on the next best thing. i mean guess what?! by 2020 there could be 40 core laptops!! so lets just wait till than.....
     
  23. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #24
    I'd love it if they brought back the iBook while keeping the MB and the MBP.

    Starting at $799. :D
     
  24. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #25
    the only problem with this reasoning is that the MBPs were recently updated and the MBs haven't seen an update since their release. those facts would lead one to believe that they are going to see an update soon, making it more worthwhile to wait.


    yeah, right. there's no need for the iBook anymore. if you'd like, i'm sure you could find one for $799 (or so) on eBay.
     

Share This Page