Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I have a older iPad still on iOS 9.0.2 is it worth to jailbreak still ?

What are some great iOS Jailbreak apps ?

Also what is the best source to use for jailbreak apps ?

Reactions: kalirob99

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Hell yeah it's worth it in my opinion. I have one.... Can't imagine not being jailbroken. As far as apps, it depends on what you're into..... The list is long. As for the sources, I'd stick to the legit ones that come installed with cydia, along with ones you'll need for specific tweaks when you come across them. Just my opinion though. Source lists can be googled.....

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Hell yeah it's worth it in my opinion. I have one.... Can't imagine not being jailbroken. As far as apps, it depends on what you're into..... The list is long. As for the sources, I'd stick to the legit ones that come installed with cydia, along with ones you'll need for specific tweaks when you come across them. Just my opinion though. Source lists can be googled.....

Thanks I know source lists can be googled I just wanted to make sure they were legitimate.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
You run a risk every time you install or use tweaks and apps obtained from pirate repos. Can't discuss them by name on a public forum but using any source hosting cracked apps is a bad idea.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
You run a risk every time you install or use tweaks and apps obtained from pirate repos. Can't discuss them by name on a public forum but using any source hosting cracked apps is a bad idea.

I totally agree! That why I am only going to use legitimate sources.
[doublepost=1457039989][/doublepost]Do you know if browser changer or browser chooser support ios 9.0.2 or is it only ios 8 ?

Also do either cost anything ?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The day Apple lets me do this stock…

2016-03-03 14.18.40.png 2016-03-03 14.18.49.png 2016-03-03 14.18.57.png

…is when I will reconsider jailbreaking.

Until then, still worth it!

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
I totally agree! That why I am only going to use legitimate sources.
[doublepost=1457039989][/doublepost]Do you know if browser changer or browser chooser support ios 9.0.2 or is it only ios 8 ?

Also do either cost anything ?

Both state that they work, and both are free.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Both state that they work, and both are free.

Thanks.
[doublepost=1457041314][/doublepost]Someone give me a really good reason why I should jailbreak ? Like a tweak that is amazing or worth it alone to just jailbreak.

I am having a hard time to convenience myself to jailbreak because of hacking fears.

Reactions: StarkCity

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Ok but does the pre installed repos have browser changer or browser chooser ? How many pre installed repos are there ?

That is pretty cool though does eyoungren cost anything? If so no big deal.

Also one last question for now is jailbreaking on a iPad just as worth it as a iPhone ?

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Lol, I'm not sure about what eyoungren 'costs' ..... You can ask him ..... Yes browser changer is on the installed repo..... I think two or 3 are pre installed..... They're more than enough

Reactions: eyoungren

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Lol, I'm not sure about what eyoungren 'costs' ..... You can ask him ..... Yes browser changer is on the installed repo..... I think two or 3 are pre installed..... They're more than enough

Sorry I thought eyoungren was the name of the app in your pictures.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok but does the pre installed repos have browser changer or browser chooser ? How many pre installed repos are there ?
Yes. I think there are 5 on a stock install of Cydia. But there are others that are standard that are safe to add such as modmyi.

That is pretty cool though does eyoungren cost anything? If so no big deal.
Well, generally I'm pretty cheap (at least my wife tells me I am from time to time). :D

My tastes lean towards the expensive though so if you want to fund me you're probably going to need more than a few bucks. :D

Also one last question for now is jailbreaking on a iPad just as worth it as a iPhone ?
Yes.

My iPad is jailbroken, iOS 8.1. The last version of iOS that Netatalk still works on (it broke in iOS 9 and Saurik has not updated it yet). Netatalk lets me load the iPad/iPhone file system as a server share on my Mac's desktop. That lets me copy items to and from the device and the computer.

That alone is worth the jailbreak to me on my iPad - although there are many others.
[doublepost=1457042666][/doublepost]
My wife says I'm cheap from time to time. :D

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
No offense to anyone here but I felt jailbreaking was not worth it. I did try it though. I tried a few free apps from Cyndia and most of them didn't work :(

Not saying jailbreaking is not good for some people though.

Maybe someday I will try it again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No offense to anyone here but I felt jailbreaking was not worth it. I did try it though. I tried a few free apps from Cyndia and most of them didn't work :(

Not saying jailbreaking is not good for some people though.

Maybe someday I will try it again.
You have to keep in mind that Cydia is not like the App store. Cydia keeps almost everything that was ever released because there are still users out there with old iPhones and old jailbreaks and those people periodically need to reinstall a tweak.

So not everything you download is going to work on iOS 9 and sometimes if it has not been updated to work for later versions of iOS it can even cause problems.

And not all devs mark their stuff for whether it is appropriate to install for the latest version of iOS or not.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
You have to keep in mind that Cydia is not like the App store. Cydia keeps almost everything that was ever released because there are still users out there with old iPhones and old jailbreaks and those people periodically need to reinstall a tweak.

So not everything you download is going to work on iOS 9 and sometimes if it has not been updated to work for later versions of iOS it can even cause problems.

And not all devs mark their stuff for whether it is appropriate to install for the latest version of iOS or not.

This is true! Thanks.

The apps did say they would work in iOS 9 btw.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is true! Thanks.

The apps did say they would work in iOS 9 btw.
OK. I didn't know.

A lot of times, new jailbreakers (and I am not saying this is you, I am being general in nature) assume that just because it's in Cydia it's safe to install. That usually doesn't end well.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
[doublepost=1457041314][/doublepost]Someone give me a really good reason why I should jailbreak ? Like a tweak that is amazing or worth it alone to just jailbreak.
Here are three off the top of my head:

f.lux: Had it on my iPhones for many years. More options than Night Shift, and not affected by Low Power Mode, as with IOS 9.3 beta 5.

TetherMe: Absolutely indispensable, especially with an unlimited data plan.

AskToCall or varient: One of the best tweaks ever, no more pocket dials.

Last edited:

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Jailbreak is absolutely worth it! One of my main reasons is customization is also.

I say that but I'm not even jailbroken right now cause I'm stuck on 9.1 because I wanted to be on the latest beta. Ugh once I jail break again I'm not updating or buying the new iPhone till it is jailbroken.

Last edited:

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
of course it's still worth it to jailbreak your devices. like everyone has already stated from customization your screens to installing tethering apps. If Apple only opened up their "minicomputers"

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I think it's worth it. There are tons of great utilities out there.

What I love is that it makes my phone my own, not just like everyone else's. It gives iPhones and iPads personalities.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
I have a older iPad still on iOS 9.0.2 is it worth to jailbreak still ?

What are some great iOS Jailbreak apps ?

Also what is the best source to use for jailbreak apps ?

I'm in the same position with mi iPhone 6s Plus. Can I still JB with all the apps and settings I have installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.