worthless nano praise

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lord patton, Sep 25, 2005.

1. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Jun 6, 2005
    This has no value to anyone, but I have to say that my 4gig white nano, which I got 3 days ago (after it was held up by Chinese customs for a week!) is the most amazing consumer electronic device I've ever seen.
    I think Apple has a huge winner. The iPod was already the most popular mp3 player (ever see any banks giving away free Dell DJs?). But everyone I know is _mesmerized_ by the Nano. My mom called it gorgeous. My wife wants her own. And all the 12-15 year old kids I teach, many of whom have their own 20 or 30 gig iPod photos, are begging to see the new one.
    There is palpable excitement over this product. Apple's holiday season is going to be a sight to see.
  2. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    After the scratches surface, the glamour fades on the Nano. ;) :p :)
  3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

i think its weird how some people are turned off by scratches when theres a remedy. im sure apples aware of the surface durability (or at least the "polish"). i think they should comment on it at the ipod nano portion of their website. just something non threatening like..."and to keep that nano looking new you can use "WipeAway" to reduce the appearance of scratches.

ok i'd better go find something to do....im just starting my day.
  4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Once you get over the first few scratches, more don't seem to matter, (unless any are in the least bit obstructive to you using the screen properly). The nano seems to be a scratch magnet though.
  5. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    apparently particles of dust in the air are enough to scratch it

I STRONGLY suggest if your nano is scratched call apple and ask for a supervisor.
    complain on apple's feedback site.
    see the discssion forum withthe post with over 500 threads.
    also, look at radtech's ice cream polishing product
  6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    I feel the same way about mine, and mine gets the same reaction from people.

Everyone in my classes all gather round to "ooooooohhhhh" and "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" at it, and let me know they are getting one.
  7. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Fully agree. Particles of dust in the air are also enough to scratch the aluminum backing. The iPod is truly a scratch magnet and really indicates that Apple's designers:

1. Don't care about it and have become totally numb to it.

2. Don't know anything about "scratch resistance".

3. Don't know how to make the iPod both pretty and scratch resistant.

It's crazy to keep using polishers and protectors; the iPod needs to become scratch resistant. My 2-week old nano has scratches everywhere and I've barely used it. Even when I thought I was handling it with care, it broke out into a bunch of scratches.

THIS, in my opinion, is the real iPod flaw.
  8. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    OK, this will fix most 'scratches'.. and smudges.. instantly!

I've got a better product for yah-all: I've used it for years on all plastics, LCDs, glass, any shiny scratchy surface.. Makes them fairly finger oil smudge-resistant. Works so well it adds several days of dust repelling protection every time its used on a surface and polished to smooth as ice. Makes anything like an iPod much newer looking again (barring of course the HUGE accidental scratches from your Nano fighting routinely with a bed of nails)..

Remember: Polish till ice-smooth.. you'll love it!
  9. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    Well, I must say I'm glad I haven't purchased a Nano yet. I will be holding out until at least October when the iSkin for the Nano is out.
  10. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
    iPod Nano does not scratch any more or any less than the Standard iPod. All these people complaining were careless and they want to blame Apple. It is BS, scratches are going to happen especially if you put it in your pocket with:
    1. Keys.
    2. Coins.
    3. More keys.
    4. etc.

I have had an iPod Nano in my pocket, the third pocket that Steve had it in, for entire days for a couple of weeks and of course it has scratched. When I sit down, I'm very careful though because you can feel that if you're not, you bend it.

People need to take more responsibility for there stupid mistakes, that ruin iPod screens. Simple as that.
  11. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Oh, I know that. My point was merely that as long as you don't get too many scratches, it's only the first few that bother you. You treat it with kid gloves and do your best not to scratch it, then when you get a few, as more and more minor scratches appear, you are less bothered. If a major one appears, well all hell usually break loose.

I do have to say though, we got our black nanos into stock the Wednesday after they were announced, (along with 4Gb White, 2GB White arrived the day before). Out on display in the evening followed by 2 hours of trading, by the morning they were already showing scratches. It's crazy.
  12. PaZuZuPrime macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    Santa Clara California
    Scratched Ipods

Here's a idea to everyone that doesnt like having scratched Ipods. Put some form of protection on it so that it doesnt scratch as easy. I mean my god you buy a 250 dollar or whatever ipod and dont take care of it and it scratches and you want to bitch at apple for it. Some people act like this is rocket science or something.
  13. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Exactly, I got a couple of noticable scratches on my 60Gb through what I believe was a tiny bit of grit getting between my iPod and the case when I was sliding it in. I have no reason to bitch about that though, I know these things happen. However, if something scratches easily and it obstructs you using it properly, perhaps it is a quality control issue rather than usuability one.