Would a 15 inch screen on a MBPro be fine for movies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ieani, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Dorms are small(yes this is revolutionary). So would a 15inch screen be fine for watching my DVD's on? I dont want to have to buy an external monitor if I dont have to. And my reciever supports optical so I could get all my sound with my 5.1 system.

2. sel1965 macrumors member

The 15in screen is fine. I have used it already to watch DVDs and no problems.

3. menziep macrumors 6502a

yes it Should but if you want to view 1080p At its best then you will need a External Screen (unless apple put a 1920 x 1200 in the 17 inch MBP)

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I watch dvds on my 1.5GHz 15" PB every night in bed and it's fine. The MBP has a slightly bigger screen and higher resolution so it should be fine.

5. menziep macrumors 6502a

The MBP Resolution is 1440 by 900 and a DVD Resolution is 720x480

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Aparently they toyed with the idea of a 42" screen for great movie playback, unfortunetly it was a little heavy on the battery ;) :p :)

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I also use my PB to watch my DVD's and such. It's great.

8. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

we usually have "movie nights" round each other's rooms in our hall. about 4 mates all pile into one room, watcha couple of feature length films with some pizza and drinks:D

i have used my PB on several occasions, and no one has complained about the screen's smallness compared to 17" 4:3 ratio screens that seem popular with desktops. in fact, it is in some ways better because of the wide aspect ratio. apple DVD player has the facility to stretch or fit the movie to screen, a feature which is lacking in windows PC's.

i think it's great.....you dont need a large screen for a small room, 15" is perfect.

S

9. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

ehh...Im not that picky. I have a non-HD 27inch sony and I think the picture quality is fantastic.

10. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

I have watched movie on my powerbook from the futon in my room, and it is just fine. Put I would have looked better on a stand like the iclear from griffin tech. So that might be something to invest in. But yeah, other wise it would look fine. And, with the included remote it would be even better. :)

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

personally (and i hope others will back me up), it depends COMPLETELY on the distance from viewer to screen. I'm perfectly happy with my 2.5" ipod and 12 inches, or my 15" powerbook at 2-8 feet, or my father-in-law's 40" tv from 10-30 feet. it's more about the amount of your vision the screen fills than the number of inches.

12. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I watch DVDs fine in bed with my 14" iBook. The 15" widescreen is very adequate.

13. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Since your dorm isn't too big, I say get the MacBook Pro, how far from you can you get it in a small dorm :D ?