Would a 17'' MacBook Pro run games well?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Topono, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Topono macrumors member

I think I might want a 17'' MacBook Pro as my first Mac, but I would like to game on it as well. However, when I was reading some reviews on Apple's website, the reviewer stated that when he plays Doom III, it has crashed a couple of times. Can anyone confirm this? I would love it if I could play Doom or Quake in the car. Car rides to Utah are long.:(

2. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Overall, the mbp is pretty much the fastest mac you can buy. The quad might be faster, but it's mroe expensive and pretty much a lame duck. I don't know about Doom or Quake, as they are older games and find fps stunningly boring, but for newer, or at least universal binary games, you can't really go wrong with a mbp.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

It would be fine, but you might find your battery will dwindle to nothing quite quickly.

4. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, and the 17 is pretty big in a car. And you wouldn't want it on your lap for long, unless you have some sort of lap protector.

5. Topono thread starter macrumors member

6. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Depends. Casual stuff like web browsing... 3 hours. Hard core gaming, hi-performance settings... 2-2.5 at most.

7. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Huh. I guess that's alright. I have my DS Lite, too. The only thing now is to decide on what case to get... any recommendations?

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

It'll get that and maybe a bit more using the internet or watching a movie from the HDD, but while playing games you'll probably get 45 minutes to an hour and a half. Buy a PSP or a DS if you want in-car gaming. Save the MBP for home, Starbucks, or the hotel room. Plus it'll be hot on your lap, as would any laptop running a 3d game.

There is not a single company that makes a laptop that will play high quality 3d games for more than an hour and half.

--------------------------

Edit: Beat to it. You guys are too fast for me.

9. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Also, I know this is a stupid question, but what is an ExpressCard? It's listed as a feature on the MBP, and I'm curious as to what it is.

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Google is your friend.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expresscard

11. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Wait.... so what peripherals use an ExpressCard?

12. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

You'll get more than 45 minutes when playing games. More like 1 - 1.5 hours.

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I would be more concerned about the HDD than the heat. All that bumping and movement is very bad. :p

14. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Oh. I guess that would hurt the HDD. Maybe a notebook isn't cut out for me.:(

15. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

i hate games.. dont see the point in them.. please dont hate me or start a revolution against me but i just cant handle games.. my mac is for work and fun-never ever felt the need for games..my life is eventfull enough..
    but YES is the answer to the initial post question.

macrumours is so so clogged with gamers asking; oh will my apple II play quake 17 or will my emate play mario brothers 10.. yunno what i mean..
    im not being an ass, i may be a little tipsy but come on.. macs we're built for productivity and ease-the amount of friends i have seen loose a month of their lives playing warcraft.. i just dont understand it.. sorry everyone.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

17. Topono thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys. After realizing I can get a 17'' iMac and 2.0 GHz white MacBook, each with 1 GB of RAM, for around the same price as the 17'' MacBook Pro, I think I might want to do that instead. From what I read on here, the MacBook can handle games pretty well. The iMac can be the muscle of my needs- running Photoshop(when it becomes a UB), Aperture and Logic Express while the MacBook gets the lighter tasks, like updating my blog, using iPhoto, and browsing the web all on the go. I could keep everything synced with .Mac, too. Would this sound like a good solution?

18. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Since its your first mac i would not recomend the 17" MBP, BUt the idea of the 17"imac and 2GHz macbook sounds like a wonderful idea! i have a macbook and i ran Halo very very nicely, But it was a little sketchy because Halo was not Universal.. But i like your idea, dont get the 17" MBP, your idea is perfect, and you dont really want to lug around that Huge thing (17"MBP):D :D

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

20. aquanutz macrumors regular

I want a MBP so badly. That video card in there is more than sufficient to play all of todays games easily and well into the future.

21. dragon2611 macrumors regular

Apart from stuff that needs to use the graphics card a lot the macbook is Fast, infact id doubt its much slower than the imac in most apps.

22. Topono thread starter macrumors member

I've pretty much eliminated the 17'' MBP from my choices. I think I'm going to go with the MacBook+iMac. I like using desktops while I'm at home, but I would love to have a mobile solution. The only other thing I need to know is if the difference between the processor speed(1.83 and 2.0) is worth the extra money. I don't need a SuperDrive, so I could save some money by going with the cheaper one. Also, does a MacBook run WoW well?

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

From what you've said you probably won't need the 2.0 GHz model, so the 1.83 would be fine. As for WoW, YMMV. Some people have been getting exceptional frame rates, others have been getting very poor ones.

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Expect it to run at around 10 fps :(

Get 1.83 then as it will be your "road" computer, no the main one.