Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I have a 1.2GHz/1.25GB Cube and 22" ACD, on which I use PS 7 and AI 10, amongst other things. If I get a 24" iMac, will I notice a significant improvement in performance, considering the extra load of running under Rosetta?

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
skunk said:
I have a 1.2GHz/1.25GB Cube and 22" ACD, on which I use PS 7 and AI 10, amongst other things. If I get a 24" iMac, will I notice a significant improvement in performance, considering the extra load of running under Rosetta?

Do you use PS for a living? Then I'd say try to wait til it goes UB. If your cube isn't getting the job done, then be prepared to drop a bundle on RAM for Rosetta.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Even with Rosetta running, it'll be a huge improvement. It's not just the processor that's better now. Even things like RAM and FSB has improved. It must have a......133 MHz FSB in the Cube?

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I don't know what your Cube feels like, and I don't have the 24" iMac, but I can tell you the following. My 2GHz 17" Core 2 Duo iMac with 1GB RAM does not feel much (if at all) faster running PS CS2 under Rosetta than does my 1.5GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.5GB RAM. On the other hand, the Mac Pro feels way faster than the Powerbook, despite the Rosetta tax paid by the former.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You would definitely notice an improvement as long as you install 2 GB RAM.

If a maxed out Core Duo( Yonah) MacBook is 5 times faster than a single G4 iBook

that should give you a rough idea of the overall benefits.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Maybe a bit late to the party, but I've tried running non-UB 3D drafting apps on the Intel Mac and even with a decent graphics card and 2Gb RAM the performance is a bit of a joke. Can't be the graphics card performance so I guess this is Rosetta showing what things are really like when it's pushed really hard. As your first respondent said, if the cube is doing what you need for now perhaps best wait for UB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.