Would a 24" iMac be a significant improvement?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skunk, Sep 29, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have a 1.2GHz/1.25GB Cube and 22" ACD, on which I use PS 7 and AI 10, amongst other things. If I get a 24" iMac, will I notice a significant improvement in performance, considering the extra load of running under Rosetta?

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Do you use PS for a living? Then I'd say try to wait til it goes UB. If your cube isn't getting the job done, then be prepared to drop a bundle on RAM for Rosetta.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Even with Rosetta running, it'll be a huge improvement. It's not just the processor that's better now. Even things like RAM and FSB has improved. It must have a......133 MHz FSB in the Cube?

4. STLSigns macrumors newbie

5. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I don't know what your Cube feels like, and I don't have the 24" iMac, but I can tell you the following. My 2GHz 17" Core 2 Duo iMac with 1GB RAM does not feel much (if at all) faster running PS CS2 under Rosetta than does my 1.5GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.5GB RAM. On the other hand, the Mac Pro feels way faster than the Powerbook, despite the Rosetta tax paid by the former.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You would definitely notice an improvement as long as you install 2 GB RAM.

If a maxed out Core Duo( Yonah) MacBook is 5 times faster than a single G4 iBook

that should give you a rough idea of the overall benefits.

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Maybe a bit late to the party, but I've tried running non-UB 3D drafting apps on the Intel Mac and even with a decent graphics card and 2Gb RAM the performance is a bit of a joke. Can't be the graphics card performance so I guess this is Rosetta showing what things are really like when it's pushed really hard. As your first respondent said, if the cube is doing what you need for now perhaps best wait for UB.