Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Usertame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
I am browsing for a new computer, currently I'm on a pretty simple 2 year old laptop witch has trouble running ThinkOrSwim (mainly memory and performance during peak trading hours). I am considering the Mac Mini 2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM. I need more screen, which is why I'm looking at the 34", preferably two of them.

I am considering this Dell 34" curved monitor, 3440 x 1440, 21:9 ,5ms GTG, ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260239 ), or similar. I haven't looked into the monitors too much tbh, but I need more screen real estate for sure. Could the Mac Mini display to two of those 34" Dells?

Here are the ThinkOrSwim recommended requirements ( https://www.thinkorswim.com/t/system-requirements.html ). My laptop runs it OK apart from lacking in RAM, I cannot open up too many charts, oscillators, indicators etc, and it gets bogged down during trading hours. Would the Mac Mini have trouble running it on 2+ large monitors with ThinkOrSwim running multiple charts, options tables, etc?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Minimum requirements for think or swim are 256mb of ram.

What kind if laptop did you use that managed to run out of memory?

4gb are recommended for normal users, 8gb for powerusers.

Usertame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Minimum requirements for think or swim are 256mb of ram.

What kind if laptop did you use that managed to run out of memory?

4gb are recommended for normal users, 8gb for powerusers.
Thanks, I assume ThinkOrSwim would run just fine on the once monitor, but what about on two? The single 34" ultra wide should be enough, but I'd like the option to run 2 just in case, or 2 non-ultrawides. Does the Mac Mini struggle displaying to two monitors?

And what about using a Macbook Pro 13" (16GB RAM, probably the upgraded processor)? How woukd in compare to the upgraded Mini as par as both general performance and ability to display to two additional monitors?

Nor'easter

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks, I assume ThinkOrSwim would run just fine on the once monitor, but what about on two? The single 34" ultra wide should be enough, but I'd like the option to run 2 just in case, or 2 non-ultrawides. Does the Mac Mini struggle displaying to two monitors?

And what about using a Macbook Pro 13" (16GB RAM, probably the upgraded processor)? How woukd in compare to the upgraded Mini as par as both general performance and ability to display to two additional monitors?

Great question! I've been investigating the matter for some time. I currently run TOS + optionshouse + tweetdeck on a late 2009 iMac with 16gb RAM and additional 21in monitor. You can up the min and max memory usage of TOS from the sign in window but my limitation seems to be processor. In activity monitor TOS can take up to two thirds of my processor power!

Ive been looking into the Rmbp and they do support an additional two monitors. Even the 15in as early as 2013 can run two monitors. I think a big advantage is going to be the SSD and better processor. I'm still on the fence between 8 and 16 gb depending on budget.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada

Post the year of the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini and I'll be able to give you answers.

RAM really shouldn't be an issue if you're not running intensive multitasks. But if you've got the money spend, more never hurts as long as they're matched.

Usertame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Post the year of the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini and I'll be able to give you answers.

RAM really shouldn't be an issue if you're not running intensive multitasks. But if you've got the money spend, more never hurts as long as they're matched.
2015, or the newest currently available when I make my purchase. Although I might consider a refurb. For this thread it's the 2015 Macbook Pro 13" (with max RAM) and the 2015 Mac Mini (with 16GB RAM and the 2.6Ghz). If they are comparable I might as well go with the Macbook, unless the extra money doesn't justify the cost.

Thanks for all the advice.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
2015, or the newest currently available when I make my purchase. Although I might consider a refurb. For this thread it's the 2015 Macbook Pro 13" (with max RAM) and the 2015 Mac Mini (with 16GB RAM and the 2.6Ghz). If they are comparable I might as well go with the Macbook, unless the extra money doesn't justify the cost.

Thanks for all the advice.

You're welcome!

Here are some details about those systems:

Mac Mini (7,1 Late 2014)

• CPU and 16GB (this is the max) should be fine.
  • But if you're looking at the Dell U3415W you'll need to use the HDMI jack to push this monitor's native resolution 3440 x 1440.
    • This Mac Mini will do up to 2560 X 1600 (Thunderbolt) or 4096 X 2160 (HDMI,) one per each connector max; consider this if you don't buy a single monitor and decide to go with 2.
MacBookPro (12,1 Early 2015)
  • Either the 2.7 or 2.9 i5 + 16 GB (again, 16GB is max) should be more than enough.
  • This will do two external 3840 X 2160 displays - either 1xHDMI & 1xThunderbolt or 2xThunderbolts.

If you decide to go with any Macs that have at least an i5 and 16GB RAM, your only concern would be the display configurations, as noted above.

Based on Nor'Easter's post, a Core 2 Duo would account for ⅔ of your CPU usage - which is okay if you don't plan to do a lot of other things simultaneously. In that regard 2009 - 2014 used/refurbs give you a lot of leeway, with the display caveat applying more and more the older you get.

Hopefully that helps. If you have any questions about any other specific models I'd be glad to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: phrehdd

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
Great question! I've been investigating the matter for some time. I currently run TOS + optionshouse + tweetdeck on a late 2009 iMac with 16gb RAM and additional 21in monitor. You can up the min and max memory usage of TOS from the sign in window but my limitation seems to be processor. In activity monitor TOS can take up to two thirds of my processor power!

Ive been looking into the Rmbp and they do support an additional two monitors. Even the 15in as early as 2013 can run two monitors. I think a big advantage is going to be the SSD and better processor. I'm still on the fence between 8 and 16 gb depending on budget.

I have an early 09 imac with a secondary display 4gb ram and TOS runs like garbage, the mapping is absolutely terrible. It never use to be like this but that what happens when software is changing constantly but your computer doesnt. I'm looking at getting a mac mini once the 2016 refresh hits but like the OP I'm unsure how it will handle it. I only plan to use 2 23' monitors.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The 2014 Mini can do 2x3440x1440. There's at least one forum member running this configuration. Just search the MacMini forum here.
2015 rMBP will also do, as would the 13" MBA (it also has two Thunderbolt ports).

Nor'easter

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I have an early 09 imac with a secondary display 4gb ram and TOS runs like garbage, the mapping is absolutely terrible. It never use to be like this but that what happens when software is changing constantly but your computer doesnt. I'm looking at getting a mac mini once the 2016 refresh hits but like the OP I'm unsure how it will handle it. I only plan to use 2 23' monitors.

I would strongly consider a rMBP refurb that can run multiple monitors and offer you the option of keeping on a few trades anywhere in the world with solid internet connection, which to me is the main allure of being an independent trader.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
I would strongly consider a rMBP refurb that can run multiple monitors and offer you the option of keeping on a few trades anywhere in the world with solid internet connection, which to me is the main allure of being an independent trader.

Thats what I'm beginning to lean to is a rMBP but I'll probably just wait for the refresh. On the go is always good and when I get back home i can just plug everything in. (I was thinking of getting a dock which has ethernet connection, more usbs and its just a one plug into the rMBP and one unplug when leaving instead of 100 wires)

Are you running a rMBP with 2 monitors? If so how does everything run?

Nor'easter

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Thats what I'm beginning to lean to is a rMBP but I'll probably just wait for the refresh. On the go is always good and when I get back home i can just plug everything in. (I was thinking of getting a dock which has ethernet connection, more usbs and its just a one plug into the rMBP and one unplug when leaving instead of 100 wires)

Are you running a rMBP with 2 monitors? If so how does everything run?

I have transitioned to longer term trades so speed is no longer of the essence, thus I still have my trusty '09 Imac though I think I will be shopping for a rmbp later this year and update the thread when I get it going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.