Would a Play Station Portable (PSP) work as a PDA?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jessearl, Nov 17, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

I was flipping through this month's Popular Science and they rated the PSP as one of the best gadgets of the year. I was searching recently for a smartphone and couldn't find anything that I thought I would like.

But I'm wondering if a PDA/portable entertainment device would work.

So, what do you think?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PSP is wonderfull...dont know about PDA functions but its good foe games, movies and music and internet...

Bless

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The PSP certainly has the graphics and CPU power required to work as a PDA. All it really needs is a keyboard or a touch-screen to allow text input.

4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The PSP would not work as a PDA as all it can do is play games, videos, music, display pictures, and browse the web. You cant store notes, schedule things, add contacts, anything like a PDA.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Check this website out:

http://pspwebbrowser.com/

I think the basic answer will be that the function as a PDA will be about as limited as the function of my shiny VGA Axim as a game player is. :(

6. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

There is a homebrew program out that attempts to fulfill the basic address book and calendar capabilities of a PDA, but I just tried it out and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Also, if you end up getting a PSP with a firmware greater than 2.0, you can't run homebrew programs on it anyway. An iPod would be a better bet for a PDA replacement, IMO at least.