Would adding RAM make the MBP run hotter (make the fans run)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbsmithmac, Nov 30, 2012.

1. jbsmithmac, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors regular

I just upgraded to 16GB of crucial ram in my 2012 cMPB (15"). Now I can actually hear the fans running. I don't notice the fan on my mid-2009 MBP.

It's entirely possible that it is no louder than before, as usually there is other noise in my house, TV, kids, etc...and right now that doesn't exist.

Just curious if this is normal...and FYI by hearing the fans...you can't hear it over typing so it's not loud.

FWIW - the temps seem to be ok and not rising or falling. ambient air at 31C/88F and nothing else is over 44C/111F (CPU).

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Increasing te RAM isn't going to affect the temp of the computer in any perceivable fashion.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't think so, but figured I'd ask. I'm also assuming hearing the fan's now versus before is likely a new observation.

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Probably right, just something you noticed for the first time, I don't believe you have anything to worry about. :)

5. macrumors regular

It can be a crazy running process. When I upgrade my MacBook Pro 2012 to 16 GB, I did not noticed the fan running at higher speed.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it's a process since it was just restarted and nothing launched but safari. I'm pretty sure it's just me.

I'll check the activity monitor though.

7. macrumors 603

What is your fan speed? 2000 RPM is as low as they go.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

How do I check fan speed - specific app?

9. macrumors 603

I use iStat.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

confirmed...it was just me evidently - they are running at 2000rpm according to smcFanControl.

11. macrumors regular

2000 rpm is the expected speed at idle for any MacBook (only Retina run 2000 rpm for right & 2150 rpm for left).