Would An HDMI > DVI cable work w/ my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2005
    Hello. I was wondering if this cable would work with my Mac since my Samsung has an HDMI port. Thanks so much.
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Should be fine except you will need an audio cable if you want sound as DVI doesnt support it.

However if its a MacBook/Pro you will need a miniDVi to DVi then a DVI to HDMI.
  3. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Have it, works fine with my Pioneer Plasma.

I use the Optical out for surround sound, and watch HD movies with it.
  4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have purchased two of these cables. One for my cable box and one for my PC.

Click on the new and used from $xx.xx button and you will see a seller named Digitalfix selling the cable for $11.95. The cables don't come in the original package but I called Monster Cable and they carry the same lifetime warantee as regular Monster Cables. Best deal I have ever seen on a cable of this sort.
  5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2007
    Covington, WA, USA
    Don't spend that much money on an HDMI or DVI/HDMI cable. Try monoprice.com (recommended by many users in various HDTV forums). If you don't want to wait, try a local Wal-Mart or similar store. I've seen RCA-branded HDMI or HDMI/DVI cables for about $30-45.
  6. MBM007 macrumors regular

Sep 6, 2006
    I used a similar cable on my Samsung flat screen but always end up with an "overscan" isssue where part of the screen doesn't show up.....I attempted all my resolution options and even went so far as using some program to create a custom resolution, but I could never get it just right....I ended up using a high quality dvi to VGA cable and it has worked great for me.
    let me know if you get this same overscan problem huh?