would an ibook run ok for wc3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluemoon, Aug 15, 2004.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

well... the specs of the ibook is as follows... 1 ghz, with 133 bus... 768 ram 60 gig harddisk and 32 mb Vram.... i am considering between a ibook and pbook still... sigh.... it's really a tough decision with the ibook so much cheaper den the pbook..:(

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

While that computer certainly isn't a gaming machine by any stretch of the imagination, WC3 has surprisingly low system requirements and should run just fine on that computer.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It runs fine on my 800MHz iMac. Not an apples-to-apples comparison ;) but enough to convince me it'll run fine for you. As Chaszmyr noted, the requirements are pretty minimal. You won't get all they eye candy, but it should look pretty darn good.

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

On my Rev B" which has pretty much the same specs as that iBook... it runs decently... but if I had my choice between my PB and my G5... G5 hands down. At 10x7 32-bit medium details the game runs ok but the FPS rates aren't that great even for some custom maps. Depends what you're playing I guess.

5. link92 macrumors 6502

It runs fine on my Dad's 333MHz G3 iMac, which is out side of the min specs... :rolleyes:

6. MacFloyd G5 macrumors newbie

MacFloyd G5

It should run fine - it is playable when running on my 2.5 year old iBook G3 600.

7. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

whats with people posting threads about "how will this run on this computer"? huh? go to some site and look up the system requirements, if you have a better system its obviously going to run, now i know that iBooks arent the worlds greatest gaming machines but i mean obviously if the requirements are 400mhz G3 and you have a 1ghz iBook G4 OBVIOUSLY its going to run better... :cool: :rolleyes:

oh and by the way, yes it will run on the iBook

8. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member

ooooh.. okok.. i noe that it means the minimal requirement... just tat i dun really trust minimal requirements... hee..rather hear from first hand experience... :)

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Relax, guy. :)

Not that I'll disagree with you, but the kind of questions we're getting lately are pretty ridiculous. We're getting things like will WC3 or Diablo II (or other older game) run on a current Mac. Of course it will! These games are years old and ran fine on machines below their requirements! You can definitely pull up the eye candy some, if not all.

Not that I want to sound harsh, but people, have a little decency and try to use the search tool built-in to the forum! Or just scroll down a little. We had a similar question only days ago.

Done with my public service announcement. Thank you.

10. Aciddan macrumors member

Mate, you have a very strange definition of *fine*. I suppose really bad stuttering, about 10fps at 640x480 is *fine* (yes, I have played wc3 on my iBook G3 600, 640mb ram with the 8mb ATI non-radeon card).

Given what I have seen, as long as you have a G4 and a radeon card you will be ok - though, if you have your WC3 disk lying around, fine a friend with a similar mac and give it a go...

-- Dan :D

11. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

actually if u read his post it says "It should run fine" then there is a hyphen and then it says "It is Playable when running on my 2.5 year old iBook G3 600."

12. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member

thank u all for answering my queries... sorry bout not using tat search tool... somehow it just din occur to me... guess this is wat happens when u use forums for the first time though... anyway... thanks for all the help!:)

13. PismoGuy macrumors member

It should run quite nicely;

I play WC3 on my 800mhz G4 eMac 768mb ram
    which has a Geforce 2mx gfx card (worse than the 9200) on a 2x AGP slot
    at 1280*960 16bit max setting <<< ran smoothly until I had maxed out my population
    and or at 800*600 32bit medium settings <<< also ran smoothly

ibook has a radeon 9200 on a 4x AGP slot
    the ibook also has a faster bus and faster level 2 cache and processor
    I am fairly sure that the ibook can play WC3 at max resolution(1024*768) in 16 bit color at max settings without slowdowns at all. You can try in 32bit mode but it will suffer cause you only have 32 mb of video memory.

Oh, make you you have any and all WC3 patches/ updates they helped me a great deal! speeded stuff up.

14. Edot macrumors 6502

Not True!

I have a 700mhz emac with the same graphics card and you cannot run WC3 with those settings and play the game reasonably at all. I play with everything on min settings and it still comes to a halt in 4v4 battles. The game is a totally different experience on a G5, but you can play it on an emac, just not as well or with the settings described. I play it quite a bit too. Look me up on bnet, on Azeroth, SN is "edot".

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I run WC3 at the highest graphics on my iBook, and it works just fine. Specs are below.

lasuther

16. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Actually I know someone who has one of the 800 mhz emac and it plays just fine (i think he actually plays with the settings a little higher than those specified above) if you want i can get the settings he has and post em. But I have seen it running and it runs great.

Edit: just to avoid confusion he has the earlier 800 mhz model, not the ati graphics one.

17. PismoGuy macrumors member

I am not joking,,, those are my settings and it runs very well.
    I will give you that it takes a beating on 2v2 or more, once when everyone is approaching their population limit.
    But in single player every mission ran beautifully until the last 1 or 2 missions of each race. And in those missions the map is huge and there are alot of units. thats when I turn down my 1280 *960 16bit max settings to 1024*768 16bit and medium settings ... and it regains most of its smoothness.
    When I am playing LAN games I turn down the settings to 800*600 medium 16bit ( I don't care about the graphics when i play against real people.. I want every frame the comp spits out so that I can crush them)<still looks good. I hate 640 * 480

By the way how much ram do you have?
    Do you have 10.2.x or the latest verison of 10.3? my graphics improved alot with the updated video drivers in 10.3.x... (every update helped)
    Do you have all the patches for WC3? they did a miracle on its performance for me.

18. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

How many times do people have to ask the same question? I've read this same question (in different threads) at least 4 times since i've joined this community. I know the tread search sucks, but even this one is hard for a stupid search engine to miss.

19. applekid macrumors 68020

Now, now. Let's calm down about these redundant questions. He learned his lesson and I'm sure others will. He was only a newbie to forums in general.