Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Assuming that the iPhone has a decent mp3 storage capacity what would that do to Apple's ipod nano? I would think that an iPhone would kill the nano but Apple would also gain so many more customers from phone sales that it might not matter and might be even better for Apple sales figures. What do you think?

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
In my opinion a iphone would not hurt the nano AT ALL. The main reason I do not think it will hurt it is because of cell phone battery life. Cell phone battery life is VITAL to most people, and im sure listening to music all day on your cell phone while on the go is going to kill you battery REAL FAST. I know when I use the music player on my Samsung A900 the battery dies very fast, thats why I dont use it much. I think people buy ipods to listen to music a lot, and cell phone's with mp3 players to listen to music every once in a while. The nano would still be the better choice.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Lau said:
I suppose it's possible.

Hahahaha that's brilliant, Lau :D

Is it wrong that I want both of those little monsters for my handbag?

L

Lau

dcv said:
Hahahaha that's brilliant, Lau :D

Is it wrong that I want both of those little monsters for my handbag?

:p

I should probably go and do some proper work now. :D

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
haha! great pic! :D

I don't know how much Nano sales an iPhone would eat... some for sure, but I personally would rather keep my phone and iPod separate. Those Motorola phones probably didn't eat too many iPod sales, did they?

jne381

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
Probably a little, but so what. I know that I am trying to wait for the iPhone before I renew my cell phone contract. If there were no rumors about a phone, I would have already bought a Nano. WHen Apple sells an iPhone, it will be like there selling 2 products, and I'm sure the price will reflect it. I want it combined so I don't have to carry so many things in my pockets.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
nosen said:
haha! great pic! :D

I don't know how much Nano sales an iPhone would eat... some for sure, but I personally would rather keep my phone and iPod separate. Those Motorola phones probably didn't eat too many iPod sales, did they?

i have the slvr w/ itunes - i used itunes for the 1st week and have not since. why? well, after listening to itunes on my phone all day, by the time i went out at night, phone battery was dead......

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
That updated title jolted my heart into my mouth then :rolleyes: Having just bought a nano i would rather it didn't become preyed upon so early. :(

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I know I would only buy an iPhone if it was a) with Verizon (which is very unlikely), I'm not switching carriers, and b) my phone contract allows me to get the phone without paying full price and stuff.

I'm not as obsessed with the iPhone as others here are.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
JMies419 said:
In my opinion a iphone would not hurt the nano AT ALL. The main reason I do not think it will hurt it is because of cell phone battery life. Cell phone battery life is VITAL to most people, and im sure listening to music all day on your cell phone while on the go is going to kill you battery REAL FAST. I know when I use the music player on my Samsung A900 the battery dies very fast, thats why I dont use it much. I think people buy ipods to listen to music a lot, and cell phone's with mp3 players to listen to music every once in a while. The nano would still be the better choice.

You know, I do wonder whether they could have a unit with two batteries of some kind, one dedicated to the phone and one for the mp3 player....dont know, maybe it's a crazy idea...
Vanilla

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vanilla said:
You know, I do wonder whether they could have a unit with two batteries of some kind, one dedicated to the phone and one for the mp3 player....dont know, maybe it's a crazy idea...
Vanilla

Well, sounds good to me. It's going to have to be something like that.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Even simpler, cut off the iPod functionality at 10% battery life. Then you have plenty of time to get to a charger.

Boxer

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Overland Park Kansas
As stated above I dont think the Nano will be hurt dramatically by the iphone, one because the battery life cant possibly be on par with the Nano. That new nano can run for days. Literally I have tried. I have to recharge my phone battery after an hour of straight talk. I would much rather have a nano and a regular phone if the iphone did not put up long talk time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.