Would an iPhone even sell well (with carriers)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applerocks, Aug 2, 2006.

1. applerocks macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005
    Let's say Apple introduces a phone.

Would a phone sell well? Not because of it's quality, features, etc. But because of cell phone contracts. I, for example, can't leave my cell phone company for about a year and a half and I would have to buy the phone outright.

Phones are different, simply because of when and how you can buy them, right? People won't be as willing to get a new carrier or a new contract set up just for a phone. Carriers just don't give you as much leniency if you want a better price on your phone.

Also, the people that have iPods would most likely be the ones going after these phones. Well, if I have a working iPod, why would I need a new phone with similar features, in addition to my iPod? I could get a cheaper phone because my iPod already does the extra features of the iPhone (assuming there is no video chat). Sure, I could download music wirelessly, but would that be worth the cost of another iPod? I know that some people have multiple iPods, but not everyone (or the vast majority of people). Or is Apple going after new iPod owners.

Still though, I can go out and buy an iPod whenever without paperwork, activation fees, etc. Cell Phone carriers just don't give you that freedom (of buying a new phone whenever, for a reasonable price).

Could this be a reason the iTunes Motorola phones did bad? People didn't want an okay iPod when they already have one. I think Apple would have to have some really great features on this phone that set it away from iPods and cell phones.

Would the iPod transition into a phone, or would there be two different products?

I was interested in others' opinions on this.

2. afornander macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    i think that you will buy the iphone and service through apple... and apple would yous some other company (tmobile, cingular, at&t) to get them "connected":rolleyes:
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't think it would, certainly not around the world. The US system seems awfully complicated and the service providers seem to rule how a phone works or even if it comes to market whereas here the phones all work the same, you can get nearly all of them from all the telcos but the difference comes in the style of plan and the extras that come with your plan.

There are only two telcos in Australia with their own hardware (Telstra and Optus) and the rest are MVNOs so coverage is very consistent across the range of providers. The only difference is way out in the bush where CDMA rules the roost (if there is any coverage whatsoever) and I think only Telstra provides that.
  4. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    Yes and no. Contracts are going to stop alot of people, but they are also fairly easy to break out of. If you complain enough they'll ask you to leave practically. But even then there are just as many people who are having contracts that are about to end, and looking for a change. Heck some services like sprint will acctually pay 100 of the contract fee to break off with another provider and come to them.

I think the Motorola ones didn't work to well because of the software and how it all didn't work Apple like...

I've never bought an iPod because my pda has always worked just fine as a 1 gig mp3 player, but if Apple made a product that was very iPod like with Cell phone cababilities, it'd be hard to turn down.

What apple has going for them is that they build quality products. Cell phones are built to last a year (so it seems)... except for maybe nokia.

Apple would be delivering (hopefully) a simple to use phone with MP3 playback and Cell phone features.

I think it will sell so-so... to me this feels like the product we all complain we need, but truelly don't need.
    One problem for the phone I see is: Cell phones now a days have everyhting but the kitchen sink (and usually dont work well) So does apple include all kinds of features, and tries to make it work well. Or have limited features but work amazing?