Would Apple do this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Astral Cars, Jun 12, 2005.

  1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    Location:
    St. Paul
    #1
    Okay, I know everyone is asking this, but hopefully I'm putting it in a slightly different perspective. (Basically what we'll be getting to is the potential updates of the powerbooks.)

    iBooks seem like they'll be updated around the end of the month. Most would agree. When updated I'd presume these general specs:
    12":
    1.33GHz
    512MBs RAM
    64MBs VRAM
    60GB HD

    14":
    1.42GHz
    512MBs RAM
    64MBs VRAM
    80GB HD

    Given that those are about accurate, here is my question: Would Apple let the iBook line be this close to the powerbook line? Given that the 12" iB and PB would have no where near the estimated $500 difference performance wise, would Apple let this happen? Also, given the fact that presumably the PB will get the intel processor at MWSF (is that in Feb?) wouldn't it make sense for them to do a smallish bump to it now?

    So how many agree with me that the PB and the iB lines will both be bumped around the end of the month?
     
  2. macorama macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2005
    #2
    They've let the specs get close before. It probably wouldn't hurt sales, half of all powerbook sales must be to executive types who just have to have a powerbook, regardless of the specs, so they look the part. You can't be going to a big power meeting and pull out an iBook!

    The CPU spec isn't all that counts either, at the moment you have to go powerbook for FW800, gigabit eithernet, and 64/128Mb video cards.
     
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #3
    If they released new iBooks and PowerBooks at the same time, wouldn't that be bad marketing? The fanfare of one would overshadow the other. I doubt the marketing department would allow this, they'd want at least a week between releasing two such similar products IMO.
     
  4. gwimby macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    #4
    I generally agree with the presumed specs you've listed.
    (the mini has a 40gb base, I imagine the 12" book would get that before a 60gb.)
    But the ibook line has been this "close" before. Its ok.
    The idea of "never the two shall meet" is over-talked and over-worried about.
     
  5. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    Location:
    St. Paul
    #5
    I guess I should mention why I care as much as I do. I'm going to be getting a Powerbook soon (before college in the fall.) I'm debating wether I want to just get it this week or wait awhile and see if it's updated, basically all I'd want updated in the PB (15" combo) is maybe a 100GB HD and a few more GHz. I'm realizing it probably makes the most sense to just buy now, and maybe get the bigger HD and buy some extra ram. If I go to the Apple store they won't have one with a 100GB HD built in will they? I'll have to order it online? Damn, I hate waiting....
     
  6. asqy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
    #6

    I dont think it matters if they are close. They are aiming for a different market.
     
  7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #7
    That is exactly right, I dont think Apple have any concerns about the iBook rivaling the PowerBook, so long as the form factor stays fairly different the needent worry too much about specs..

    ShadOW :cool:
     
  8. jonomo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    #8
    Yeah.. the wait is killing me... me and my g/f are both waiting for the new Ibook... a few weeks ago I bought a new 12" powerbook...
    The first one I got had a dead DVD drive...
    The Second one had a dead HD...
    The Third was all warped and the hinge wouldn't close properly....

    After about 10 visits to the Apple Store, where I had to flag down someone to help me out each time.. I finally got fed up with them and demanded a refund... to that they answered, "Sorry, its passed the 14 day exchange period."... I was like WTF!!! I hadn't had a working model for over 5 days!!! it was pure craziness... I essentially had to go totally bananas in the store, rallying all the other disgruntled customers at the "Genius Bar".. until eventually they gave me a refund just to keep me quiet... I got a refund but now I'm stuck with a 1 gig ram stick...

    Now I'm thinking to myself... WTF am I even waiting for a Ibook upgrade... I should get a Dell or Sony.. but you know what??? I HATE windoze that much more!!! :mad:
     
  9. Tahko macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2005
    Location:
    Finnland
    #9
    just put the debby-linux on those machines and rip that damn XP-sticker off.

    I'm leaning towards mac just because of it's music software.
     
  10. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #10
    It seems logical that they ought to bump both at the same time but at the last iBook update, Apple had:

    12" iBook 1.2GHz/30GB/256MB/32MB 9200
    14" iBook 1.33GHz/60GB/256MB/32MB 9200

    vs

    12" PB 1.33GHz/40GB/256MB/64MB Go5200
    15" PB 1.33-1.5GHz/60GB/256MB/64-128MB 9700 Mobility

    When the last iBook update occurred, I thought the same thing you did. They would have to bump both at the same time. That wasn't true and it doesn't have to be true this time. Apparently there are enough differences that even with a speedbump that they can still differentiate.
     
  11. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    Location:
    St. Paul
    #11
    Thanks for the replies. Now can anyone tell me if I'll be able to go to the Apple Store and get a 15" PB combo with a 100GB HD? Would they have one on hand? Could they easily put one in while I wait? Could I easily put one in later? Or do I just need to order online?
     
  12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

    Josh396

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    #12
    My guess is no. Maybe a 15" with a Superdrive but it would also come with more RAM I think. Whenever a middle of the road model has one upgrade it usually has more if you are buying it at an Apple Store. I would just buy it online.
     
  13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

    acedickson

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2004
    Location:
    ATL
    #13
    I don't believe they'll have a 15" PB Combo w/ 100GB HDD, that's a BTO option. They should, however be able to upgrade to a 100GB HDD for you. My questions to you is:

    Is 20GB extra HDD space really worth an extra $100? I think a better way to use that money would be to buy a 60GB 2.5" HDD for $85 and a 2.5" HDD enclosure for $35-$40.

    It may take up slightly more space in your bag. But, it gives you 3x the storage space for $25 more.
     
  14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

    mjstew33

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Illinois
    #14
     
  15. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    #15
    Heres my specs:

    12":

    1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
    32 MB Video RAM
    256 MB RAM
    40 GB Hard Drive
    Combo Drive

    14":

    1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
    64 MB Video RAM
    256 MB RAM
    60 GB hard Drive
    Combo Drive

    ----

    AND PowerBooks:

    13":

    1.67 Ghz PowerPC G4 Processor
    64 MB Video Ram
    512 MB RAM (Up to 2 GB)
    80 GB HD
    SuperDrive

    15":

    1.67 PowerPC G4 processor
    128 MB Video Ram
    512 MB RAM (Up to 2GB, 512 MB)
    100 GB HD
    SuperDrive
    17":

    1.7 PowerPC G4 Processor
    256 MB Video RAM
    512 MB RAM (Up to 2 GB, 512 MB)
    100 GB HD
    SuperDrive
     
  16. runninmac macrumors 65816

    runninmac

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Rockford MI
    #16
    Im pretty sure they wouldn't do that to the iBooks they would atleast boost it to a 1.33 GHz prosesser. Having those specs would olny increase the standard HD size and then I don't know if we could even consider it a update.
     
  17. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #17
    A .05GHz bump on the 12" and a .03GHz bump on the 17"? That alone seems pretty unlikely. Also, I'd guess any iBook updates will include 64MB video cards and 512MB standard RAM.
     
  18. willyhunt macrumors member

    willyhunt

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2004
    Location:
    Exeter, UK
    #18
    Well i've been reading all the ibook threads with regards to updates and such like as I plan on buying soon. And to be honest all I want to see in the updated iBooks is a tiger compatible GPU and an option of the Superdrive on the 12". Anything else is a bonus really.

    Please Apple give me the option of a Superdrive.
     
  19. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #19
    I think the superdrive might be a stretch. I'm certain you'll see the GPU and probably 512MB, but I'd guess the superdrive just won't happen. Maybe someday when the superdrive is standard on the PB, it'll be an option on the iBook. Just my guess.
     

Share This Page