Would be funny, if it weren't so true

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

America at its finest....

Attached Files:

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. Rotten liberal cartoonists, always pointing out unpleasant truths...! ;)

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But they are all lies according to a Republican friend. :D

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People tend to forget the high cost of these tax cuts. I still can't believe the deficit is going up, the war is costing more and more, important programs are being cut, and yet people are happy with their couple of hundred dollars. I could use the money more than a lot of these people (not that I qualify for the bug tax cuts, I don't make enough money :rolleyes: ugh), but I'd still rather the money go to something more important. Which it isn't. Those who disagree need only to look at the numbers.

5. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Pell Grants are still around, as a matter of fact students will be able to get more than before. In many places fares have remained consistent for a couple years, with some raising the fares slightly. In my community people on social services, working single mothers and students can get free passes to use the local bus service.

The cartoonist should have done his homework a little more closely, that way it wouldn't be shot full of holes. At least pick stuff that actually happened to pick on.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So college tuition and fees haven't gone up faster than Pell Grants, municipal and state budgets haven't forced departments such as mass transportation to raise prices and soldiers haven't died in Iraq?

You're right, that cartoonist is a real moron! Wish he could get his facts straight LOL!

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

we really should come up w/ a name for this tactic. whatever we call it, it goes like this: "so long as there is a citeable example of X to make my point, then i can declare all of X in such a way to support to whole case."

suggestions:
    - The Local Min Tactic
    - Using the Exception to Prove the Rule
    - Calculating the Slope From One Point
    - Trend Ignoring
    - Best Fit Error

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

See Stephen's Guide to Logical Fallacies
    http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/

I can't decide which this is, but Unrepresentative Sample or Converse Accident sound good.

The response could be restated:
    "You stated a generality, I can cite an individual case where it doesn't hold therefore your entire premise must be incorrect."

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

9. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Sorry, but there were no generalities stated. There were "facts" stated. Facts that didn't hold up. It would have taken maybe 10 minutes at most to choose some crap that is really happeneing instead of making crap up.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

"Bush is expected to raise Pell Grants". School is still more expensive, grants are harder to come by and loans harder to justify. Ask my friend Heather, or for that matter, my Mother... who's paying off college loans after returning to school recently (on a teachers salary, no less).

Bus fair is more expensive. Comes with the territory, but it's still happening. And not all of us can get it for free. That's kinda the point.

People are getting killed in Iraq. Many are in harm's way due to poor planning and equipment shortage. Believe me, I know.

It's a cartoon, mentioning (anecdotally) some things that are happening. Some may agree, some may not. Doesn't change the fact that those big tax refunds should be going to other things, which are being cut to attempt to balance the budget, which is skyrocketing out of control. The author made his point, you don't have to agree to understand that's just the way he feels.

And it is just a cartoon after all. Not CBS News. :p

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The author is piecing together anecdotal facts (school costs are up for many; public transportation costs have rise for many; troops have died in Iraq) combining the experieces, and relating them to one character.

So my question to you is, since you both used equally valid anecdotal evidence, why is his viewpoint "making crap up" and not "really happening" and yours is not?

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

All those who want college money, please step foreward.

And an irony to make all of this more interesting:

It's now by far a cleaner and more user friendly process to apply for the GI Bill than the Pell Grant. It's also, by comparisson a sure thing. So on the one hand we've assured that kids can get into college and on the other we've eliminated a need for a Draft. The Bush government has followed through on both of those commitments' literal truth while assuring the effect of it's opposite.

Gotta love the Republican ability to get people killed at the next zebra crossing.

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I thought CBS News was a cartoon? :eek:

14. makisushi macrumors 6502

The cartoon makes it seem like everyone is ENTITLED to pell grants. Since when is free money a right?

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

16. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No, that is Fox News... :eek: :eek: