Would I be able to pop this beauty into my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iJawn108, Mar 9, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't see why not. It should act as a normal HDD. Check that the hybrid features don't require software to allocate flash/disk storage and that the software is available for the Mac.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You won't get any use out of the hybrid features on a Mac. Vista is the only OS that supports hybrid drives at the moment (and perhaps Linux) afaik.

Perhaps this will be a leopard feature...

3. dvader macrumors regular

Wouldn't it make sense to have the Flash tech as part of the harddrive like this Seagate model?

Robson integrates Flash into their logic board, but this might be problematic.

What happens if your flash drive fails or becomes corrupted? Does that mean you have to replace the entire logic board? In the past, I never had to replace logic boards (knock on wood), but doing that sounds more difficult compared to replacing a harddrive?

I'm no tech expert so can anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

4. iJawn108 thread starter macrumors 65816

iJawn108

:( i guess I'll wait then.

5. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

6. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

According to Wiki, the extra features of the hybrid drive aren't going to be standardized until ATA revision 8... so I'm guessing you'll need to be using Vista for it for now. But the drive should work fine without those extra command extensions in OS X.

7. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

If your flash memory on-board fails it will (hopefully) just disable the ReadyDrive/ReadyBoost functionality of Vista (or OS X, should it come).

I'd imagine the flash-memory will be modularized on the board so that they can simply replace the flash module if that's a problem (since flash memory can eventually wear out), but you never know.

8. iJawn108 thread starter macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Hmm it's not even released yet