Would I be an idiot to order a powerbook tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by win_convert, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. win_convert macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Aus.
    #1
    Given that there is an update soon, and that the ibooks have just been updated, would I be stupid to buy a powerbook now?
     
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

    Mechcozmo

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2004
    #2
    No PowerBook updates until 2005. So says a million different places.
    This one I happen to think is rather trustworthy.
    If you need it, just buy it.
    If you don't... maybe wait. Do whatever you want.
     
  3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    #3
    I like how you state "there is an update soon," like it's fact.

    Apple has said no Powerbooks until 2005. So, that's a minimum of 2 months, if the PBs are updated in January (which they may or may not be). So what do you consider soon?

    ---
    EDIT: Beaten to the punch.
     
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

    homerjward

    Joined:
    May 11, 2004
    Location:
    fig tree
    #4
    i would say that if you weren't an idiot before buying a powerbook tomorrow or very soon wouldn't make you one.
     
  5. James L macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    #5
    If you need a PB now, then buy it. if you can wait a couple of months, personally I would wait.

    MWSF is in January, I think from the 10th to the 14th. The keynote will be in there, and that would be 9 months from the April PB update, which is the average amount of time between PB updates. I wouldn't expect huge updates, but a G4 bump, maybe a faster HD, more RAM, a faster Superdrive, etc.

    Personally, and this is just me speaking, I think the big next generation PB will come out at WWDC in May.

    So, if you NEED, then BUY. Otherwise, I would wait until after the Jan keynote personally.

    Cheers,

    James
     
  6. dobbin macrumors 6502a

    dobbin

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Buying a PB does not mean you're an idiot. Buying one without considering the other options might be a bit silly though.

    1. Would an iBook be enough for your needs?
    2. Can you wait until next year for a new PB?

    If the answer to either of these is yes (be honest with yourself), then buying a PB today might not be the best idea.
     
  7. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #7

    171 days is the average time between Powerbook updates, it's now 202 days since the last update in April.
     
  8. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #8
    Apple have stated that the Powerbook will not be updated again this year. January at Mac Expo is perhaps the likeliest date for the next revision. However what it is updated to is anyone's guess, pick from G4 Speedbump, Freescale dual core processor, or G5, However I think the G5 is unlikely in January. However if the Powerbooks do get updated in January, it is unlikely they will get updated again until Sept / Oct 2005.

    The current revision of the Powerbook is pretty quick, look at what you want to use the computer for, apart from heavy video editing, I don't think there are many reasons not to make the switch now. However it may be worth the wait for a couple of months to see what happens.
     
  9. cluthz macrumors 68040

    cluthz

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Location:
    Norway
    #9
    There's been awhile since the powerbooks has been though a large revision.
    I think apple skipped to improve the powerbooks in octber because they have something bigger up the sleeve right after new year.
    When (if) they updates the powerbooks in mid january, then its almost 300 days since the last revision.
    Apple need to drasically improve the powerbooks, because they will lose customers if they only releases slightly speedbumped powerbook, especially when pc-companies pushes out 2+ ghz Pentium M's.
     
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #10
    I don't think that you would be stupid if you bought now. If you are a need, then by all means go ahead. It may not be anything major in January anyway. Some have mentioned that a major upgrade would need Tiger. If so that would mean WWDC in June.
     
  11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #11
    I say, buy one now, when the new ones come out, if you want one, sell the one you get on here for about $200 less than you bought it, then buy the new one. - Thats what I'd do, if I had the money
     
  12. chanoc macrumors 6502

    chanoc

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Location:
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    #12
    If I had the funds, would purchase one right now! The current powerbooks are a lot more advanced than my current laptop - see signature below.
     
  13. Jaz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #13
    Buy one now:

    1. The current PB are great machines.
    2. They are mature and have most of the bugs worked out.
    3. Apple have said no PB updates any time soon.
    4. Even if a PB G5 were released today, it is version 1 ... never buy version 1!
    5. Even if a PB G5 were released today, it wouldn't ship for 3 months based on time to start making them in volume and once all the pent up "I only want a PB G5" crowd get their orders in.
    6. They look cool and will make you "Global Person of the Month" with a staff of hundreds and piles of gold falling at your feet.

    okay that last one is crap, but the others hold true I believe.
     
  14. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    #14

    Well I dont really agree with this im afraid. Even though there are bugs with rev.a machines, generally they only affect a very small percentage of the machines sold. Ive had no problems with rev.a machines at work. The slight bugs which are most often reported about are easy to live with anyway.

    Id have to say that maybe its worth this guy looking at an ibook. For most people its more appropriate and i know few powerbook users who wouldnt be more suited to an ibook. Unless you need a nicer screen or you're a bit of a poser, then i find it hard to justify the price gap beyween ibook and powerbook.

    If you do buy an ibook, ofcourse it will save you money for a nice G5 powerbook next year.
     
  15. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

    Solafaa

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Location:
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    #15
    Can you wait? if so then do wait and see whats coming up. I have a 17" PB fully loaded and if there was a newer, better, faster and cheaper laptop and i had the money to spend i will NOT get it. The system that are around are great and would easly be great for another 3-5 years.
     
  16. Mac|Photo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    MI
    #16
    The last point there about a nicer screen...there has been some talk about Apple needing to update their screens in a big way because current pc systems are offering insane resolutions and upgraded viewing angles etc. Assuming a revision, even a small one, in January, is a screen update even considered at all or is it more likely for a small speed bump and perhaps a few smaller hardware changes?
     
  17. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    #17

    My guess would be small speed bump and better GPU. I dont see the powerbook getting a nicer display until the G5 coming around. It will be a G5 Powerbook selling point. I dont think there is an immediate need for apple to update its display, but give it 6 months then they will want to.

    As for the ibook. God knows when it will get a new screen.

    But hey, its just a guess.
     
  18. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

    Flynnstone

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2003
    Location:
    Cold beer land
    #18
    If you bought a Dell, people might think you an ... ;)
     
  19. themacman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
    #19
    opinion

    In my opinion and i hope no one takes this the wrong way, but yes i think you would be an idiot, unless you had these terms. You needed it for business in the next couple weeks, or you had absolutley no computer to deal with. If you wait, the better will come
     
  20. Spymit007 macrumors regular

    Spymit007

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #20
    I currently use a Rev. A 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook. It has served me well for the past 4 years, but unfortunately is starting to show it's age. Pages in Safari load up noticably slower and overall, everything just takes a few more seconds. Horizontal lines have started appearing on the screen as well. For the past year or so, I've entertained the idea of upgrading to one of the current powerbooks.

    But then I asked myself if I REALLY do need to upgrade. And the answer would be no. Primarily, I use my computer to word process and do other schoolwork, check email, and surf the web. It would be nice to have a faster computer but in terms of NEEDING a faster computer, I really don't need one.

    I probably won't upgrade for another 6 months to a year. By that time, the next generation powerbooks will likely have been released. I guess in order to properly answer your question if you would be an idiot or not to buy a powerbook tomorrow, it's necessary to know what you are computing with right now. If nothing, then I suggest you take a look at the ibook line. With the recent updates on them, the differences between them and the powerbooks are getting smaller and smaller. Maybe it's just me but I can't justify spending over 2 grand on a machine that still only has a G4 in it. Don't get me wrong, the powerbooks are gorgeous machines and pack quite a punch. But nevertheless, they are yesterday's technology being sold at today's prices. So if you have anything more powerful that what I have for a powerbook, I'd say you could probably wait until at least January and see if Apple has anything up their sleeves.
     
  21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

    rainman::|:|

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2002
    Location:
    iowa
    #21
    Keep in mind...

    Even if there is an update in January (which i think is unlikely, except for very minor speed and HD increases), it will likely be weeks or months before the model actually *ships*. So two months until Jan, then maybe two or three more for the model to ship... 4-5 months wait, for perhaps 100MHz or less upgrade? I think it would be silly to wait, at least if you need it now. If your current machine is sufficient, but you *want* more, waiting may be an option.

    I don't think we'll see a major revision until late 2005. I won't tie it to a traditional release date, because they'll probably announce the machine as soon as they're in production... Apple knows the PB line is a major liability right now, and doesn't want to wait a moment longer than necessary to fix that.

    paul
     
  22. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

    slooksterPSV

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    Nowheresville
    #22
    I'm not the one considering buying a new PB or that, but I'm strongly taking all of this info. into head. I mean, I got this PB on the forum and that, and its really slow to be honest. Its like my AMD when I was using Win98SE on it (OMG and my AMD is 1.10 GHz) It was because of how Win98 tasks everything. Its not like XP which tasks everything to a certain degree. Just like with OS 9.2 for this, it ran slow, upgraded to OS X and everything runs faster. So yeah, the point of the story is, I do need a faster laptop, but its not a MUST for right now. I'm going to let christmas pass and then I'll save up and buy it before the school year is over.
     
  23. Mac|Photo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    MI
    #23
    Related ???

    So you have all sold me on:
    -The current models are more than adequate and great machines
    -More than likely won't get an update prior to mid-05, and even if its early it won't ship for months.

    So, from someone who has yet to own a Mac, answer me this:
    If I have settled on purchasing an iBook/PB soon assuming no updates will come soon, should I wait until closer to holiday time to see if there are any good promos or does Apple not commonly do holiday promos?
    Like I said I have not purchased from Apple before so I don't know their trends as far as promotions for the holidays...any input is appreciated. (personally I don't *need* the computer until March 05 when I fly out to Europe, but I *want* it prior to that so I can become familiar with it)

    Thanks all.

    Sorry, I didn't realize how much a thread stealer this turned into....I hope its still considered relevant to the original poster.
     
  24. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    #24
    Oh yeah, forgot about him.
    This is relevant tho.

    Well honestly if i were you i wouldnt bother with holiday promos. I would look at refurbished models instead, you can get a decent deal, especially if you buy a powerbook. If you decide to do that then i would reccomend being quick about it, they sell very quickly on a wednesday morning here in the UK.

    I hope that if the speed of the machine isnt quite up to your expectations, it doesnt put you off buying mac again in the future, Macphoto. This is a real transitional phase in the mac laptop line and its just bad fortune that you have to buy now. Let me assure you that if you bought any other mac with a G5 processor, it would more than satisfy your requirement for speed.

    I have no doubt though that the design features and sheer quality of the powerbook will surpass anything youve experienced in a PC laptop before.
     
  25. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

    maxvamp

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2002
    Location:
    Somewhere out there
    #25
    I don't know. What are your other qualifications?

    Max.
     

Share This Page