Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I'm in the "waiting for a Mac Pro" camp and can't wait any longer.

I've decided it's time to buy a computer. I'm thinking of a used iMac on Craigslist.

Right now I have a 2010 Mac Pro. My wife is a pro photographer, uses lightroom and photoshop daily. Our Mac Pro is pimped out, 48gb RAM, 1tb Apple SSD, USB 3.0, 12-core. But I keep running into weird problems because the computer is 6 years old. Sierra crashed everything. Wireless mice do not work without serious lag.

So I'm upgrading. These computers have been on the market for almost a full year, so I don't want to buy new. What can we expect from 2016 upgrades? Are any possible upgrades worth holding out for? Or should I start looking for a deal 2015 iMac?

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Well if the update for the iMac in october is significant you may be glad you waited, or get the 2015 model at an even larger discount. You'll see the refurbished 2015 models get discounted pretty quickly.

Your loaded Mac Pro should still run circle around even new iMacs in most multi-threaded applications. I'd figure out what is wrong with it.

Have you tried a completely clean install and home folder?

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Well if the update for the iMac in october is significant you may be glad you waited, or get the 2015 model at an even larger discount. You'll see the refurbished 2015 models get discounted pretty quickly.

Your loaded Mac Pro should still run circle around even new iMacs in most multi-threaded applications. I'd figure out what is wrong with it.

Have you tried a completely clean install and home folder?

Haven't tried a clean install. But I'm committed now. Just bought a thunderbolt hard drive array.

Many thing annoy me about the old Mac Pro. One that comes to mind is the fact that no wireless mice work smoothly. Always jittery. Drove me mad! Now sierra crashed the Mac Pro.

I'm only using Lightroom and photoshop. Yes the Mac Pro is fast. Very fast. But I'm to annoyed to continue tinkering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.