Would IGZO displays mean higher resolution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cody21, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I"m sitting here reading some rumors about Apple evaluating using IGZO displays in their iPhone's and iPad's. Would IGZO displays offer a higher resolution than what is found on say, the iPhone 5?

2. macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I think it's more about battery life for a given resolution and brightness.

3. macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

IGZO should allow high pixel densities, yes, but given Apple's definition of a Retina display, it doesn't necessarily mean the iOS devices' display densities will increase beyond their current levels any time soon.

I think that Apple is more interested in the thinner displays and reduced power consumption that will result from the technology.

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

That would be my assumption as well.

5. macrumors 6502a

I, too, am in full agreement and concur.

6. macrumors 6502

macMD

Anthing that adds to battery life is a big plus.

7. macrumors 65816

IGZO allows for energy efficiency as opposed to being a more intense resolution screen. Adding resolution would defeat the purpose.

8. macrumors 6502

Don't forget Apple's old video camera patent. With smaller Pixels (and greater gaps between them), Apple can now intersperse the video camera sensor within the display, that way your eyes will no longer apeear to be looking below the screen but right at the other persons eyes. It also eliminates another component by integrating into the display. With thinner bezel requirements, it means the top and bottom of the phone can be smaller thus allowing a larger display without markedly increasing the size of the phone...

9. macrumors 68020

Yes, it could. Or it could offer the same resolution at the same pixel density, and drastically reduce the required backlight (LEDs) (which would mean a much less powerful battery is needed OR the device can last much longer on one charge). :)