Would it be a good idea to upgrade a MBP 2.2GHz to MB 2.0 aluminum

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PUTALE, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #1
    I am curious would it be a good idea to upgrade a 2.2 macbook pro from last year or two years ago (can't remember), it's the new Meron based on with 8600 GT (or GTS) to a new aluminum macbook? what do you guys think>
     
  2. macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #2
    I don't think that "upgrade" would be worth it.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #3
    Yeah, that wouldn't be much of an "upgrade". Keep your pro.
     
  4. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Location:
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    #4
    Yeah...that's not really an upgrade really. More of a lateral move. Design wise, I think it's an upgrade (other will surely disagree), but from a tech standpoint...stick with the MBP.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #5
    how much do you guys think I can sell the machine for if I decide to sell it then?

    It got the
    2.2GHz processor
    4GB of ram
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Location:
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    #6
    The only reason you should want to go from your current MBP to the AluMB is because of size. I don't know how much you can get for that one...I'm sure the cost went down a bit because of the refresh...but then again, some people might want it if it's got the matte screen so the cost could stay equal to what it was prior to October.
     
  7. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #7
    i really do not game too much on this machine and I guess smaller size system would be nice. The only thing I am concerned is the performance of the graphics with the IGP. Is the performance somewhat comparable to the old 8600?

    I still like the mbp with the extra ports and the graphics, but I do not see the point of speding extra money for it. So I may consider selling it and get a mbp.

    I just want some opinions in terms of performance, overall feedback on people who may have used both machines.


    Another reason of considerng upgrde would be the possible "defective 8x card" on the notebook. I am not sure if NV has fixed the issue with their new integrated GPU. I hope they did

    Any inputs would definitely be appreciated guys.
     
  8. macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #8
    sounds like you want a new computer. If that's the case, you should definitely get one.
     
  9. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    #9
    haha...i agree. I am in the same boat, I, too, am trying to decide if I should sell my 2.2 MBP to get a 13" Macbook. I really like the multitouch trackpad, however I use 3D programs and Adobe Suite daily, so wonder what the difference would be?
     
  10. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #10
    yes, I am thinking of the upgrade but I do not have to. I also do use my computer for the adobe and working applications. I do not really use it for gaming at all. So would it be worht the upgarde? I have read that NV will include the CUDA on all of their cards, which I presume is also with the 9400M, so I am wondeiring how much diff in the performance between the 8600GT M and the 9400M?

    Also what about the 2.2GHz vs the latest 2.0GHz?

    I am a bit torned now. There are 2 things I hate about the macbook which is the screen and its resolution. Other than that, a few extra ports are nice, but other than that, I guess everything the macbook pro, the macbook has.
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    Ironic

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Location:
    In my MBA!
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    #12
    I dont think that would be much of an upgrade except for the size. I've heard of people that after switching from a pro to a macbook they cannot get used to the macbook' screen. Let me say this, all macbooks' screens are crap compared to the pro's screen. Also, I think your computer have a better graphics card.
     
  13. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #13
    ah, I am so torned. BTW, do you guys think that it would be worth to sell my mbp for like 1300 (not sure if I can get that much or not) for the 1300 mb? Or this system should be priced higher?

    anyone has any experince with both systems (older mbp, the 2.2 era vs the latest macbook aluminum)?
     
  14. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    #14
    I just switch from old macbook pro 2.2 to new 2.0 alu macbook. My experience so far is great!! Because I want a smaller macbook. Another thing about these macbook pro, selling it now then you will earn more proft, because after few more refresh, your macbook pro will worth even less..... So, personally I would just try to keep up with the update as much as you can for the sake of market value.

    This just my 2 cent....
     
  15. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #15

    thanks a lot for your feedback (PS< I can't PM you as I was gonna to ask you personally). Can I ask how do you like the new display? Does it feels faster with the integrated graphics compare to the discreet 8600?

    Are there any flaws or issues or problems?
     
  16. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    #16
    I can't yet feel the difference in speed because all I do is surfing and web and writing paper this pass few day. But opening regular program like itune and other ilife app dose feel a little faster. As far as flaw.....I think you can just look at first page of macbook forum, then you will find all kind of issues people having with their macbook. As for mine, other than the key is a little slanted which I fixed with a piece of paper, everything else works great!!! Maybe other's can answer you question regarding to graphic card comparison.

    Hope this help!
     
  17. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    #17
    I recently had to decide between an early 2008 MBP and an aluminum MacBook. After weighing all the pros & cons and generally dismissing the early complaints, I decided on the 2.4ghz aluminum MB. I now feel certain that I made the wrong decision.

    The aluminum MB has a great design, the trackpad is as smooth as... glass, and it feels like a sturdy machine. Did I mention the design? It's great.

    However, the widespread graphics issues that plagued the last gen MBP's have appeared in the new MB's. Scrolling the contents of a window in any application will periodically cause garbled images and text. It remains to be seen how widespread this issue is, but I think it will prove to be at least as common as it was for the MBP's. A look around Apple's support forums will show that the same issue is cropping up in all of the new MB's & MBP's. This is on top of the well-known complaints about the new display: the blacks are definitely washed-out, and the glass is far more reflective than a CRT. It is difficult to work with your back to the window, or in a room with incandescent overhead lighting. If color accuracy is important to your work, you would need to purchase an external monitor.

    If I were you, I would sell the old 2.2 MBP (you should be able to get around $1200 for it), and chip in the extra $200-$300 to upgrade to the early 2008 2.5ghz MBP. You get the multitouch trackpad, better processing benchmarks, dedicated graphics, bigger screen, and a firewire port. MacMall has the 2.5ghz model available for under $1500.

    You might end up with the same display glitch, but it seems as though that's likely with any Apple laptop at this point. With the early 2008 MBP, at least your machine will have better specs and a bigger screen with an option for matte finish. Dollar for dollar, it's the best deal out there right now.
     
  18. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #18
    thank you for your analysis.

    i did went over apple's forum and looks liike there's a big issue with the display and not to mention the mini display port. (seems like lots of people are having issue with the external moniotor).

    I personally probably will not care too much about it excpet when I need to give presentation, which proably won't be a huge deal. though I do hope Apple will fix it soon.

    Though it makes me wonder a bit if NVIDIA is still plagued by the issue they had with the older mac. Part of the reaosn I am considerign upgrade is the fact that I got the mbp with 8600GT which maybe plagued with the nv's graphic chip that may fail. I would be more than happy to keep it but I am just afraid that it will fail. Now with the new system using nvidia chipset, I am afraid of the same issue pops up.

    There is also some benefit of upgrading, first of all a better chipset due to probably newer chip technology, cooler system.

    I do not think that I would add money with the upgrade and that's why I am considering upgrade to the 2.0 version as I saw the performance in term of the CPU seems to be similar between the two.

    this is quite hard....
     
  19. macrumors 65816

    Vulcan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #19
    It would be a downgrade, keep your current machine. You get a worse screen, video card, and RAM.
     

Share This Page