Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
When I went to the Apple Store today, they said I could buy a refreshed or refurbished PowerMac. It seems like buying it refreshed is a better deal, because nothing was wrong with it in the first place. Would you get a better dicount if you went with a refurbished system? Also, it seems I can't find refreshed products on Apple's site. Is there a page for them?

darrengreer

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Sorry, misread your last statement there. I thought you were looking for the refurbished site.

I've actually never seen "refreshed" as an option. I had always assumed that you were gambling with a refurbished model. YOu might be getting a refreshed or a refurbished. Seeing as it goes through the same testing, I'm not sure if it would matter too much to them on price differential.

Darren

Topono

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
When you buy a refreshed/refurbished Mac, does it come in a new box and with new instructions?

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
From what I know - "Refreshed" items are typically customer returns (bought from a retail store). They are just checked over, restored and repackaged so they look and behave as new (i.e. Welcome screen). In the UK you tend to find these for sale in the Regent Street store with around a 10% discount.

"Refurbished" items on the other hand could be previously faulty Macs that have been repaired, or BTO Macs ordered over the internet that were returned, or even excess stock from previous generations.

All refurb/refreshed items come with the usual Apple warranty and will include the relevant accessories/CDs/manuals etc.

Some (but not all) refurbs may arrive in a brown box rather than the original packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.