Would it be foolish to buy a pb 12" Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
    I was just wondering with all the chatter about the new chips and the g5 line getting makeover.Would it be dumb to just buy a pb? i have about 3 thousand left in my bank.I dont need a pb i have a pc.But I want a pb.or save the money and take a vacation :D
  2. kelvinz macrumors member

    Jun 1, 2004
    Seattle, Washington
  3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
  4. nina macrumors member

    May 27, 2004
    I don't expect any updates to the Powerbook line for quite a while. Rumors state that the current Rev. C systems will be the last wave of G4 Powerbooks. So when they do go G5, some time from now, they will be Rev. A Powerbook G5s - Apple is notorious for producing buggy Rev. A hardware.

    The Powerbook G4 is at the height of its lifecycle - all the kinks have been worked out, and it has matured into a great system.

    I believe this so much that I ordered my first Mac - a 12" stock Powerbook - last Monday. I am waiting for it right now, and waiting is HARD.

    I have a Windows PC as well - I don't need the laptop really until September, when I go back to University. But for the reasons stated above, and the fact that Apple's pricing rarely changes, I figured why wait?

    The ONLY thing I can see happening at WWDC is a new sales promotion (the current RAM sale ends June 26th). But since I'm a student, I qualify for Educational Pricing. This usually supercedes any promotions anyways, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any new promotions offered. Needless to say, I'm a little anxious waiting for my Mac!
  5. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
    Congrats Nina.You got guts lol.Im squeezing my credit card so hard i can read the numbers and exp date on my hand.Goodluck with your PB:)
  6. Elbeano macrumors regular

    Apr 21, 2004
    Guts? I bet we'll see at least one more revision of the G4 powerbooks before we see a G5 since they were talking about those new G4's that would be pushing 2.0ghz and beyond. And I will go on record right now saying that I could see yet another revision of G4's coming out at the same time as the G5 powerbooks, whenever that does happen. Meaning, I could basically see 3 lines of apple notebooks coexisting at some time in the relatively near (but not near enough) future. However, with the most recent revision being very recent, you're not in danger of your machine being outdated any time soon. At least, not by something from Apple.

    Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how pleased I am with my first mac, a 12" powerbook combodrive of the most recent revision.
  7. James L macrumors 6502a

    Apr 14, 2004

    There will not be another upgrade to the PB lineup until maybe Sept, more likely in Jan at MWSF.

    The new ones just came out 6 WEEKS ago, some people are just getting them now after ordering them quite some time ago. Apple isn't about to upgrade the lineup anytime soon. There was also a nice price drop at the same time.

    Wait if you want, but expect to wait at least another 4-7 months before another revision. To believe it will come sooners is foolish in my opinion.

    If you buy now, from my opinion you will have no regrets. I have been editing a movie in Final Cut Express and creating graphics for it in Photoshop CS all morning, with a one hour break to play Call of Duty in the meantime. Great machine!

  8. smurphur macrumors member

    May 31, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Whats the current RAM sale? I looked on Apple's website but didn't see anything.

  9. nina macrumors member

    May 27, 2004
  10. adamjay macrumors 6502a


    Feb 3, 2004
    well if you currently have a pc, then a 12" PB would be a vacation of sorts!!

    its a great time to buy a 12" PB i think.
    my 867mhz chomps through 95% of what i throw at it. the other 5% being UT2004, and Waves 4.0 LinMB VST effect in realtime. both of which have workarounds (play UT2003 instead, and run the LinMB in Peak as a post-effect).

    it kinda depends on your uses, needs, and demands of the PB.

    are your main demands:
    ProTools realtime recording of 16+ channels... ?
    Adobe CS rendering... ?
    Playing Halo or UT2004... ?

    if not, the current 12" PB will suit you.
  11. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a


    Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I wouldn't wait. The PB's are great machines, and they will not have the G5 in them for a while (I think MWSF 2005). So you'll get plenty of use out of your PB. I have the 12" Rev. B PB and it's great - I wouldn't trade it for the world (but I would trade it for a brand new 15" PB with a backlit keyboard and 128 MB graphics card :D).

    Best wishes,
  12. brap macrumors 68000

    May 10, 2004
    Well, I bought one and am still waiting for shipping, so I may be biased...

    But all the signs point to either a long wait before going G5, or more G4 revisions. Go for it.

    On a slightly related note... if the G5 has heat issues (blah blah, covered already) - you think they'd go so far as cutting out the 12" from the lineup? The little thing surely can't have any more room for heat dissipation hardware, I'd love to see watercooled G5s, but how on earth would they fit in such a form factor?
  13. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2004
    but how on earth would they fit in such a form factor?

    Ice packs :D

Share This Page