would it be here in time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fromalk, Oct 20, 2006.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a mac fan for a serious time now. However it is scince the switch to itnel that I really became interested in buying a piece of art like this.

I've been following the news lately and there have been numerous rumors of a new macbook comming with the intel core 2 duo, some say both macbook as macbook pro will be updated, however I will wait and see it out myselves, just hoping it will be here for th holiday season (most logical).

But my girlfriend's birthday is next week, and I wanted to give ehr something special, she will need a notebook for school from january and I wanted to save ehr the cost of buying one herselves. So I've put together a list of specs the way I wanted it to be.
    A,83Ghz macbook 80Gb hard disk and 1gb of ram, for a girl comming from an old amd xp 2000+ (i think) cpu with 256Mb of ram this would be a trumendous upgrade.
    The problem is the apple site says it will ship in 3days, this means it stil has to make it here right? How long would it take to egt to belgium?

Cause it would be grate if it would still make it by the 28th

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I have no idea about international shipping times.
    I'm also guessing you may need the country kit to handle
    different voltage.

If you have a local Apple Store retail that's your best bet in this situation.

If you add ANY options at all, it will delay your order.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The time in transit depends on where it will ship from. Ships in 3 days means that it will be sent from the factory/depot in 3 days time, not that it will arrive in 3 days. This normally does not include the weekend. So if you order now it will probably not even ship until the 24th or 25th. If the item is coming from a depot in Europe it normally takes 1-2 days to arrive (in London, should be similar for Belgium). If shipped from China then it often takes a whole week!

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

He's probably ordered it through the Belgian online Apple store, so it'll have the correct keyboard layout and power adapter/plug.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

When did you order it? The 20th? It might be at your doorstep on the 28th, I wouldn't be surprised.. but then again I wouldn't be surprised if it arrived on your doorstep in November. :p

6. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

thank you for these very good reply's.
    I tried to purchase the set up but there was a problem with my visa card :( so the purchase is delayed untill the 25th, meaning it will not ship before the 3th or something because there are some holidays if I'm correct? It's a pitty however I'll find an excuse, hope it will be here by the 10th then, would be really great!

Thank you very much

oh yes one more question,
    I'm ordering the macbook via my school account, the apple store is in dutch, and there is a student discount, however I am still wondering if the keyboard will be in azerty then, that's the most important thing of it all .

7. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I've got one more little question;

Whe I order via the online store will I be sure this is the latest build?
    For example, tehre is an apple store pritty close to here, but if I would take one from there it could be a build that is a month old suffering some minor problems that might be fixed by now?

Is there a way to find out which build I will be getting?

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I ordered by phone and our MacBook was shipped directly out of the China Factory.

I'm not awake yet, but someone here knows the serial numbers that indicate what
    the build date is.

If you're really in a hurry and you have a local Apple Store, you're probably O.K.
    just buying it there.

Just be sure to take your student I.D.

9. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

Well I've decided to buy it over the internet, scince it's still a 150€ difference I wouldn't care about the few days more we have to wait.

Just one more thing is on my mind;
    More and more sites are suggestion the intel core 2 duo's are comming next week, so if I would order mine friday, can it still have the 'old' intel cpu, I don't like brand new hard ware configs > 90% trouble garanteed :p

10. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

may i ask how do u buy US apple products to be shipped internationally?

11. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question acutally?

thanks for all the help so far

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

What makes you think he's buying a US macbook? :confused:

As far as I can see he just ordered from his localized apple site.

13. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

I logged in via a url provided by my school, so I automaticly have the student discount, the entire site is the local language. The reasson I'm buying via the internet is because they provide visa support and the local apple store dosn't > pritty bizar though :)

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Many Visa users are not aware that their bank has a $1000.00 daily limit
    on their card.

In this case, you might need to make 2 transactions to cover the balance.

Just half the amount the first day and the rest the next day.

This is where buying over the phone can help.

15. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

That limit depends completely on an individual's situation. I have a Visa card with an a lot higher limit than $1000. Whether I spend it spread over a month or all in one day makes no difference.

Debit cards, on the other hand, do tend to have a daily limit although as far as I know this is also higher than $1000.

16. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

well i wasn't aware of this,

I have a limit of 1250€ so 1300$ I guess?
    Don't know what day limit I have though :mad:

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Some users may have a much larger overall limit, but as you mentioned, people
    like me using only debit cards generally have a daily limit set by the bank as a security measure.

If you know you're going to be making a large purchase over that daily limit, normally you can just contact your bank and advise them to lift that restriction
    for this particular purchase.

Otherwise, you may need to advise Apple to split your transaction into two parts over two days before they can approve your order for shipping release.

The FASTEST way to get your order going is to wire the funds directly from your bank WITH THE WEB ORDER NUMBER, directly to Apple's wire account.
    If you order by phone, your Apple sales rep will give you all the details.