Would it be *insane* to buy an iPod now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iW00t, Dec 26, 2006.

1. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I sold my iPod way before Christmas with the thought of upgrading to the so-called video iPod when it is released, but we all know how that worked out.

Is it true that our current 5.5G iPod is really a "interim" model of sorts? I am starting to feel the empty space in my pocket every day on my commute, but I'd be damned if I buy something that gets outdated in a few weeks!

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

If you miss it that much ...... buy one.

Dave :)

3. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

4. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

ITV means new IPOD

As it has been made quite clear within this thread, Jobs has mentioned the iminent release of the Itv. This IMHO is a big reason to expect a 6g ipod. I dunno if it will be full screen or touch screen, but I think Itv means a lot more than just a new product.

Itv being introduced causes a forced domino affect of things to be introduced at macworld.

1st. If Jobs is introducing an Itv, he must have more movie viewing contractual agreements, otherwise the Itv would serve little purpose. He made it quite clear using repeated showings of movies and shows using the Itv at the september event. If there is an Itv, Jobs must have more movie studios.
    Plus: It would make perfect sense that more movie studios hop on to Itunes now, because previous rumors indicated they didn't want to affect the dvd buying holiday season. Thus, rumors indicated they would join after Christmas.

2nd. One delay on the Ipod Video 6g was the fact that Jobs was waiting for more people to hop on the itunes movies store. He couldn't unveil it in September, because only disney hopped on. Thus, he delayed consumers with some minor screen and hard drive upgrades. This is still a 5g ipod. In the current market, these Ipods are getting technologically behind. Apple is due for a new ipod. Jobs just bought some time.

5. iW00t thread starter macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well that wouldn't work cos I dumbly compressed everything using a high bitrate. And if I buy the 4gb Nano I might as well just buy the 30gb one for the same money :cool:

6. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Would I go insane if I did not have an iPod now? Yes! Buy what you need now if what is currently available gives you what you want....there will always be a better unit "just around the corner". Unless you have tons of money to burn buying the latest thing just because you can, be happy with what you can get at the time you need it. Makes life a whole lot easier :)

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why not just load the songs that you want to listen to vice your whole library?

Heck, even a Shuffle might hold you over.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean the 8GB nano - the 4GB is US$199

You mean "versus" not "vice."

Now that my daily grammar/details nazi fix is done, I just got a 30GB iPod 5.5G for Christmas and it's damned good - the video/picture quality is superb, much better than I'd thought and the output to TV via s-video is fantastic.

Honestly I don't care what they release at MWSF - if it's a brand new iPod (replacing the whole line) then all it will offer me is maybe more capacity/upgraded battery life and possibly UI. Who cares? Doesn't make mine worse than it is. If it's a new high-end line then it's going to be expensive here and that's all she wrote for me, if they eventually do an iPod photo on the line and bring the high-end iPod's features into the regular iPod line then by the time they do that I'll be in the market for an upgrade again.

I don't think you're insane if you buy an iPod now.

9. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

Not that I am extremely confident, one way or another, you do realize that there is a credible possibility of the true video ipod at macworld. There have been rumors of a beautiful widescreen touchscreen etc. If that were the case I would care. I'm glad u enjoy ur current ipod, but let iW00t at least have the possibility of owning this super ipod.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Vice works for me! :)

From www.dictionary.com, definition #3 for vice:

"instead of; in the place of."

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

...as in the Latin pronounciation. We learnt that in junior high ;)

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The examples following the definition seem to indicate that the use of "vice" was incorrect or at least highly dubious in this case. When the dictionary says "vice" means "instead of", it doesn't mean that "vice" could be used everywhere where "instead of" would be used.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Whatever! ;)