Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
As my signature says, I am saving for an iBook, but I'm incredibly poor. Do you think (I know this is stupid) that I could set up a Paypal account to accept donations from people who are really nice? ( You can tell I'm desperate)

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
I think it's already been done... I believe it was a girl saving for a powerbook. Anyways, you can always try, but I don't know how lucky you'll be - especially when everyone here is always trying to save up for a Mac of their own. :D

- reaper

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Don't believe that there are any 17" iBooks. Good luck to you otherwise. :) Oh, my bad, that's an iMac that you already have that's the 17". :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mattthemutt said:
As my signature says, I am saving for an iBook, but I'm incredibly poor. Do you think (I know this is stupid) that I could set up a Paypal account to accept donations from people who are really nice? ( You can tell I'm desperate)

Having such a nice set of computers you already own in your sig is probably not the best advertisement of your poverty though. :(

If you really want an iBook have you considered selling one/more of them? I'm sure you could do installment paying on the rest of the cost left over and it wouldn't be so bad.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
1Ghz iMac G4, 256 DDR, 80GB HD, Superdrive, 17" OS X 10.2.8
3G iPod 20GB
400Mhz iMac G3 Graphite DV SE, OS 9.2
Thinkpad T21 700Mhz, Windows XP
Dell Dimension 4600, 2.8 Ghz, 80GB, 512 DDR GeforceFX5200, Windows XP

Sure, I'll chip in a bit...oh wait a mo....just remembered I've only got a G4 400Mhz Sawtooth/10Gb HD/16mb ATI, so on second thoughts that'll be a NO.

I'm guessing this is a light-hearted attempt at a joke thread, please say you weren't being serious?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
The time you waste in setting up a Paypal donations page would be much better spent on working to earn it for yourself. They're not that expensive. Plus you sound like you could use the discipline.

Lee Tom

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
Sure you could get enough for the Dell and the thinkpad to get a 12" IBook. If not you might have to sell the G3 too. The avantage of this being you can get away from that icky Windows OS for no extra cost, and also save on the electric bill, Yay ;).

My vote, get a job and work for it or sell some hardware. Not be a heard ass but as was mentioned, we're all skimping and saving to get a Mac :).

Good luck,

Mark.

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Of course we can all use the discipline, but a key note here, I'm 14. I have a newspaper delievery job which pays ok and it will take me over a year to save up for an iBook. :(

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Oh and I forgot, none of those computers are mine. I can only use one of them (the PeeCee). The iMacs are reserved for my dad's recording and stuff. I want my own Mac.

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
how would I do that anyway? I've got a Paypal account with a debit card. How do I setup a link or something that can allow people to donate money to me?

mattthemutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
Ontario, Canada
<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
<input type="image" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but21.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
<input type="hidden" name="encrypted" value="-----BEGIN PKCS7-----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-----END PKCS7-----
">
</form>

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
It's a HTML form copied from Paypal, why on the other hand is a different kettle of fish entirly :rolleyes:.

I understand where your coming from; being 14 and not being able to get the money for something you really want, especially if your willing to work for it! Is a total bummer!

Mark.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
lol, it took me a month to get a job, and that's at McDonald's of all places. You'll just have to wait a year for that iBook then. Do you even need an iBook? I mean you're just 14 and you won't be needing a computer traveling (I'm assuming here). You could always get an $800 eMac, or even a cheaper used Mac.

Elmy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Not trying to sound like a dick here but...

There are hundreds of needy charities doing vital work in places like Africa struck by civil war and famine. Would you rather I gave my 5 bucks to them or you?

You DO NOT need an iBook. You DO NOT even need a computer. You are not a charity case. Get a job.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Why would you stuff 4 computers in your sig, especially when you can only use one of them?

Did i miss something or did d*ck size somehow become connected to the number of computers you stick in your sig...

Back on topic, it sucks to not be able to afford things you want. My fiancee and I are just starting out and really want to buy a house.... Well, that may not happen right now. If I put up a donations link would you give ME money? No, but why? surely needing a home is a far greater need than an Ibook, right? Do you see how silly this sounds? Now, Either find a way to earn money, sell your machine or just be patient like everyone else that can't afford what they want.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
mattthemutt said:

this is known as pan handling or begging. 'incredibly poor' means, your money should be going to things like bettering yourself to get out of yor plight of poverty and not hoping for a ibook.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Not sure about labor laws in Canada, but you could get a summer job maybe. If laws don;t allow for that you could search for things to do in the neighborhood. There are two girls in my neighborhood that arte doing the following to get some extra money:

- washing cars, pay what you want*

- mowing our townhouse lawns for pay what you want*

- drop your dog at the dog park, and they'll watch the dog for you for a few hours ($10 to $20 for 3 to 6 hours)

- collecting your mail while on vacation ($5 for the week)

- putting out and collecting trash cans on collection day ($5 to $10 depending on location of the trash can)

- they are looking into being a drop off for UPS and Fedex deliveries during the summer months. They are looking at $1 to $2 per a package.

* so far they have not been ripped off by those looking to be cheap

Instead of "begging" look for ways that you can earn some money in your community.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Thirteenva said:
Why would you stuff 4 computers in your sig, especially when you can only use one of them?

Did i miss something or did d*ck size somehow become connected to the number of computers you stick in your sig...

Back on topic, it sucks to not be able to afford things you want. My fiancee and I are just starting out and really want to buy a house.... Well, that may not happen right now. If I put up a donations link would you give ME money? No, but why? surely needing a home is a far greater need than an Ibook, right? Do you see how silly this sounds? Now, Either find a way to earn money, sell your machine or just be patient like everyone else that can't afford what they want.

You might stand a better chance with me than the kid that wants an iBook.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thirteenva said:

Ummm...inversely proportional? :D

It is too bad he changed his sig. This was getting to be fun.

Poor guy...guess its tough being 14. But I still continue to second the generally icy reception to this idea. :(

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
mattthemutt said:
Of course we can all use the discipline, but a key note here, I'm 14. I have a newspaper delievery job which pays ok and it will take me over a year to save up for an iBook. :(

Man I am sick of people like you crying about how poor you are and asking for handouts. You are no better than the people on the street asking for money. Actually you are worse. You obviously are living in a nice place, even if those computers don't belong to you personally, no family that can afford 4 computers is poor. You are only 14 you say? What could you POSSIBLY need your own computer for? Some adults have regular jobs that they slave away at and can't afford to save any money at all for a computer. I suggest that you stop degrading yourself, get some pride, some discipline, and some backbone and save the money yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.