Would it be worth my while to go from a DP1GHz G4 PowerMac to a 1.8GHz G5 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edesignuk, Sep 22, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It’s been nearly 3 years since I bought my dual 1GHz G4 PowerMac (Quicksilver – 1GB RAM, 80GB+20GB, SuperDrive, GF4MX 64MB), and it has served me well, and honestly still does do everything I need with adequate speed. But, it’s getting close to that time when I want a new Mac again! Now, I was gonna wait until next year and get a mid range or top of the range G5 PowerMac, but the G5 iMac has made me think twice about it. A G5 PowerMac would cost a small fortune, for power that I don’t really use, but it would last longer. But then I just love the new iMacs form, the idea of just having that sitting on my desk (I’m actually even thinking of the 20”, even though I have bad mouthed the 20” in the past for being a waste of money in the G4 days) rather than having a huge bloody great tower to find a home for, with wires running to monitors etc seems so much nicer. Plus the fact I could get a 20” 1.8GHz, with 1.25GB RAM, 160GB, SuperDrive etc for the same price as an entry level PM with no extras.

The only thing making me hold back is wondering if I will notice a difference going from my dual 1GHz G4’s, to a single 1.8GHz G5. Bear in mind, I really don’t do anything to strain the dual CPU’s at the moment (no 3D, video, heavy PS etc). So with this in mind do you think that a single 1.8GHz would appear faster for my needs (web, adium, occasional PS, iTunes etc)? Or, do you think I’d still be better off with a G5 PowerMac? Why?

Thanks for any input you can give!

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well ever since you gave me some advise about selling the powerbook and getting one i have looked into it a bit more... in your case i think you would see a good speed increase in your everyday apps and ive also heard that the gui reacts faster and feels even more snappy... and with tiger on the way i could only say it will get faster... i say if you dont need a powermac g5 for anything heavy then the 1.8 will be sickly fast... you know all this yourself but re-assurance over an expensive purchase isnt something we cant give, its you credit card.....

what do you really want????

it sound like you want the imac... but a powermac and a new 20" monitor would go down nice also...

i mean if you sold your dualie and screen then you could probably have a good chunk to go towards it..

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is the thing, I'd love a PowerMac G5, just to have a PowerMac G5, and to know the power is there, know what I mean? And I know it would also last me longer. But then I love the form of the iMac, and the price! Also because the price is lower I'd probably upgrade again sooner anyway, so that kinda balances out. Mainly I'm concerned of the speed difference I'd see between the dual G4, and the single G5. Which IMO should be quite significant as I know I don't use the dual G4's as they are meant to be used.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

ive had a dual g5 1.8 with 2gb ram.... and i have to say.... i wasnt that impressed... im happier with my pb... the g5 was LOUD bigtime and although it was fast it didnt make me want to keep it... the price on the imac is amazing i would have though you were looking at £2k for the 20inch so for apple this price is great... and it would last a good while (if you can resist other new releases)

plus if your not using the dual 1ghz then why go for a dual g5 (there not the be-all) i would say going from a dual 1ghz (not used as a dual) to the imac is like going from an emac to a single 1.8g5 when they came out...

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Just wanted to get some other people thoughts on the matter, it's always good to have another input on decissions like this.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Barefeats has posted benchmarks of the new imac.
    I posted it here.
    It seems like it isn't that fast, not really faster than the G4 1,5 Powerbook and especially not than the 1,42Ghz G4 MP. So if you want to buy sth. that has power wait for the 3Ghz G5, which I think will definitely be out till march next year. It will serve you a lot better than the iMac in sheer power and will have a far longer life span.
    If you want the all-in-one concept of the imac then go get it, but for me those benchmarks not being a lot better than a Powerbook's just killed it for me. For the regular consumer either upgrading from a imac G4 or being new to the mac platform I think it is a great value but for anyone wanting a "powerhorse" that will last them longer not just writing and surfing the net I think this is not it. Not until maybe the next rev. Who knows.

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Stop being such a weenie. Order the iMac, you know you want it. Otherwise you lose the right to post such a pretty 'tar. The pretty 'tar deserves the pretty computer.

As for speed, there are a bunch of benchmarks posted for the 1.8 in another thread. Users seem to agree that the 1.8 is very fast. As you don't exploit dual processors, seems like a no brainer.

Wish my 20" would ship already.

Oh yeah, stop being such a weenie and order it.

8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

to be honest i think that those test are a bit rubbish..... the 1.8 g5 with 1gb ram with smoke the powerbook..... in everyday use.... i would like to see them benchmarks... lke photoshop..or fcp or iphoto stuff like that..

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know I do too :D
    The 'tars will never go. But you're right, she would look good on the screen of that 20" :D
    I'm starting to think that too now more and more.
    I've already emailed a couple of places asking what kind of lead times there are ;)
    :eek:

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah me too. The iMac has a faster G5, faster HDD, faster BUS/RAM. How could it not be faster. And the second we see a 64Bit Tiger it'll be even more of a performance gap.

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

agreed, what are barefeets thinking posting tests like that...there normally quite good...

oh pressie for you
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj.../wo/An7FTEtkOOT82KzMibK1vDV2Mdz/2.0.9.1.0.6.3.

im thinking im going to get one... although i might wait for you to get one first... i like these damn things..

12. Enigma macrumors member

The Halo and UT2004 results will be because the Powerbook has a better graphics card than the iMac G5.

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

and even then look at it

[​IMG]

although im majorly pissed about them not having at least the 9600 in it... im thinking this card is not that bad after all... if it performs aswell as my radeon 9700m 64mb(or a little better/worse) then i will be happy...its fine.. plus i hate games...

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehe, you looked around at all, got any idea how long we'd be waiting on them?

15. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

have you tried micro anvika? cancom is saying 11 days.. not sure about the apple store....

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

One very important factor though, does anyone know if there is a dual screen hack for the 5200?

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i know there is one...dont know if it works yet (but am looking..) and it has mirroring native... but not split screen

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Split screen is very important for me!

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I suppose you guys are right. The tests, on a second look, are maybe not the most representative. Oh well, it is a pretty nice looking computer. And having only one piece is definitely awesome.

20. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

lol if you tell me you love me infront of everyone... i will give you this hack and a picture of it working that i just got for you.....

come on... big me up...

21. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

mate, I beg of you! :D

22. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

ahhh but do you love me????

lol... add me to you ichat so i can transfer it to ya...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't, I'm at work :( :( Can you e-mail it to me? I'll PM you the address!

YOU'RE THE BEST! :p

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I say don't get it. Even if it's a tad bit faster, its not worth the price if its not much faster than your dual 1Ghz G4. I can't blame you for wanting it. I want to kiss it and hug it and snuggle it and caress it's sides and...... um....anyway, I have loved it since the introduction. However, I'm not going to cave. It sounds like you need it as much as I do. I guess sometimes its nice to buy something you "want" instead of "need," but this is one of those cases where you're going to think back and regret not getting something a bit faster, in case your needs change.

I'd like to buy a 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook, but hey, my 1GHz 12" PB is almost as fast. :p Sure, the faster bus speed, better video card, and brighter screen almost made me dump my loser PB and get the new sweet machine. Lucky I came to my senses and decided that such a small difference probably wasn't worth the extra £175-200 or so I'd lose from selling my current PB and buying the new one.

When the iMac is reported to be notably faster than what you have, then get one. Plus, its a rev A, and who knows what issues they may to sort out. While we usually tell people not to wait, I don't think waiting would be a bad idea in your case. But ordering the iMac anyway wouldn't be too bad, I guess. ;)

25. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks AL-FAMOUS, now the question is where did you find these? And where are the instructions on how to do it!?