Would it be worth...?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iWantAMac, Mar 17, 2003.

1. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    Hi, I am, for the most part, totally new to the Mac OS. I have access to this old PowerMac 7600 (< I think it's 7600) and was wondering if you think it would be at all beneficial for me to get ahold of it, bring it home and just have a play around. I realise OS X will be extremely different to whatever OS this Mac has on it, but would it not share the same basic principles and characteristics common among all Mac OSs?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: Would it be worth...?

I feel that as a person new to the Mac, you should start with OS X.

There are enough differences between OS 9 and OS X taht some people have difficulty working with OS X for a while. And some haven't made the switch yet due to the differences.

Also, the utilities and shareware/freeware that are available is different. You might as well start clean with OS X rather then getting used to the way OS 9 (and before) does things or getting used to software that isn't available for OS X.

Just my 2 cents (US).
  3. iWantAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    Re: Re: Would it be worth...?

Oh, no, that's not exactly what I meant. I was talking about bringing it home to simply have a play with it. I wasn't actually planning to use it as my computer.
    I guess your reply would be much the same, regardless.

4. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    Re: Re: Would it be worth...?

Yeah, but thats about 30 bucks CDN :D
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I'd have to concure with Bear in that working in the Classic MacOS (anything up to 9.2.2) is not a good idea in that you'll become infused with the habits and impressions of the older OS.

As I'm sure you know, OS X is completely different code, and architecture, thus requiring newer machines to run. And the OS, while Apple has done a decent job in making the user experience of OS X similar to the classic experience, it's different enough that when you do go with an OS X box, you'll probably be turned off, no matter how good OS X is.

All this not to mention that with the 7600 you'll have to deal with the legacy ports, DIMM slots, and SCSI drives and all the quirks involved with them. Read: more expensive that it's worth.

I know it's tempting to play with it, but please, try to avoid it in favor of a newer machine. Classic is no longer the Mac Experience.
  6. Chrisnorth macrumors member

Mar 18, 2002
    Yukon, Canada

I agree with most of the other comments.

OS9 was a great OS in its time, but the future is OSX. If you just want to fiddle, go ahead, but if you ultimately want to embrace the Mac platform, wait for a newer machine and start with OSX. Personally, after a couple of months with OSX, I wouldn't go back to OS9 for anything.