Would it sell?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OutThere, Aug 24, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If apple were to come out with a version of the 17" iMac that didn't have a computer inside, just a monitor on a stalk on a small weighted base for use with any computer that you wanted it on would it sell. I have found that it is really useful to be able to grab the monitor and swing it around without sliding around on the desk, and I thought that it could be a cool design for just a monitor, usable with the powermac, ibook, powerbook, etc. or even wintel boxes. I think it would sell really well, but then again thats just me. What do y'all think?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

The problem is that the base would have to be about the same size as the iMac and about the same weight for counterbalancing...that would be just way too heavy for an LCD. And by that reasoning, they might as well put the computer back into the base, leaving you with an iMac.

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

It could be a .6" Lead base, that would be cool :)

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

now what i thought apple should do was take the monitor off of the imac and put an adc port on the back and sell it by itself. i think that would be awesome.

iJon

5. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Thats what i was trying to say, but It would need some sort of base to keep it standing up...

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im confused. i am talking about keepthign the ocmputer part the way it is, just drop the monitor. apple can sell the dome as headless imac with your choice of monitor.

iJon

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Isn't that just a dome shaped cube then? Didn't Apple already try that and it was scrapped because it sold poorly. I mean the Cube was cool, but no market for it.

8. jzieske macrumors regular

The cube was really expensive though. If they lowered the price for a "headless" iMac it could work.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i'd like to be able to swivel my monitor around. sure, why not! i agree the base should be modified some though to lessen the footprint but it is a good idea. i can't wait to see what the new Studio Displays will look like, i'm thinking metal, matching the G5. they have to do it almost. the G5 is now the only product in the lineup that needs an external display out of the box. the Studio Display has always matched it's Power Mac counterpart. i hope they can pull off capturing the look of the G5 in a display. cha-$.02-ching.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think it would work, given a few mods - must also be a usb/firewire box with at least 4 usb, 2 firewire 400 and a pair of 800s. Also adding speakers into the base couldn't hurt and an iPod docking station as an option. You would sell quite a few.

D