Would like feedback on Formac DV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TekilaGold, Oct 8, 2003.

1. TekilaGold macrumors newbie

I have read a lot of literature on analog to DV converters, reviews, recommendations and feedback in user groups. Most people seem to agree that the choice is between the ADVC-100 and the Formac DV. I have found a lot of positive feedback from ADVC-100 owners, yet no feedback from Formac DV owners.

Is there anyone out there who actually owns the Formac DV and uses it that could provide some feedback?

I have the 17" inch iMac and it was suggested to me by an Apple rep to go with the Formac over the ADVC-100. I would really appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with the Formac DV.

Thanks.

2. Java macrumors regular

formac DV is sweeet

Dude, I own the Formac DV/TVR and it rocks. I use to capture old moves from 8mm and transfer them onto miniDV and to DVD. Great unit. Oh, and it doubles like tiVo. I set up a programming schedule for it to record shows while I am away. Worth every penny in my opinion.

3. TekilaGold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

The one that I'm referring to does not have the TV capabilities, but I believe that the converter part works the same.

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I consider myself a satisfied Formac Studio user, too. The software that was delivered with it was sucky, and the OS X version took ages.

But one day, there was "Vidi" on versiontracker.com, and since this app came out, I never looked back to the old Formac software.

So, on the softsupport side, it is not too cool, but the hardware is great, really.

Conclusion: Get the Studio and Vidi, you will be a happy camper :)

And by the way: The TV option is worth the extra money, so you can unleash the studios full potential. I have the DV/TV version.

5. TekilaGold thread starter macrumors newbie