Would like feedback on Formac DV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TekilaGold, Oct 8, 2003.

1. TekilaGold macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2003
    I have read a lot of literature on analog to DV converters, reviews, recommendations and feedback in user groups. Most people seem to agree that the choice is between the ADVC-100 and the Formac DV. I have found a lot of positive feedback from ADVC-100 owners, yet no feedback from Formac DV owners.

Is there anyone out there who actually owns the Formac DV and uses it that could provide some feedback?

I have the 17" inch iMac and it was suggested to me by an Apple rep to go with the Formac over the ADVC-100. I would really appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with the Formac DV.

2. Java macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2003
    Marin County (where else?)
    formac DV is sweeet

Dude, I own the Formac DV/TVR and it rocks. I use to capture old moves from 8mm and transfer them onto miniDV and to DVD. Great unit. Oh, and it doubles like tiVo. I set up a programming schedule for it to record shows while I am away. Worth every penny in my opinion.
  3. TekilaGold thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

The one that I'm referring to does not have the TV capabilities, but I believe that the converter part works the same.
  4. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    I consider myself a satisfied Formac Studio user, too. The software that was delivered with it was sucky, and the OS X version took ages.

But one day, there was "Vidi" on versiontracker.com, and since this app came out, I never looked back to the old Formac software.

So, on the softsupport side, it is not too cool, but the hardware is great, really.

Conclusion: Get the Studio and Vidi, you will be a happy camper :)

And by the way: The TV option is worth the extra money, so you can unleash the studios full potential. I have the DV/TV version.
  5. TekilaGold thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2003