Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In 2013 I received very helpful info in this thread and the other day I posted a follow-up question. I realise now that I should have begun a new thread (and put it in the correct forum). Apologies for the duplication.

Basically I'm now in pretty dire need of an external enclosure for my data. I currently use 2x3TB drives inside my Mac Pro 3,1. One is the data drive, the other is a SuperDuper clone. I have no space for two more drives so need an enclosure. To future-proof it I'd like a 4-bay model.

I've ID'd the following enclosures and would very much like to hear people's experiences.

The Icy Box IB-3640SU3 gets good reviews over at Amazon, except re the cooling system which is ineffective (very poor air flow as the front door lacks holes/a mesh). It's at a good price point, however, about 190€. Many users write that they drill holes in the door or leave it open, but I would prefer an enclosure that I don't have to modify.

Another option is the OWC Mercury Elite Pro QX2 which has a mesh and should have better cooling. But at 280€ it's 100€ more expensive than the Icy Box. Plus it is an OWC product which I don't like - I realise this is perhaps objectively irrelevant but I've had several OWC SSDs and RAM sticks quit on me so my confidence in OWC is very low. Buying this one would mean paying more for something I doubt will serve me well.

There's also a cool-looking (and -named) NewerTech enclosure Guardian Maximus. It's a 2-bay enclosure - there doesn't seem to be a 4-bay version - so I would have to get two. It's got a mesh so the cooling should be OK. At 125€ I could get two for the price of the OWC but I'd lose a port on the computer.

Then I've discovered the Silverstone TS432 which looks interesting too. I know nothing about this brand. It has two fans so that perhaps makes up for the lack of holes/mesh in the front door.

A last option would be a 4-bay DOCKs, such as this one, but I'm not sure if such an open-air arrangement would be good for HDDs.

As for connectivity, I have the Mac Pro's FW400, FW800 and USB 2 ports. I also have a Sonnet Tempo Pro for my (striped) boot SSDs and that card has two eSata ports.

So, as you can see, I'm rather bewildered by the options and very much look forward to your thoughts.
Philip

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks very much for the reply. That does look like an interesting enclosure - Sonnet is a good brand - though it is quite a bit more expensive (like 350Eur). Do you know if Sonnet makes it? On the BH page there is an "Akitio" model that looks very similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.