Would my internet speed increase with direct ethernet vs AP Express?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Qwerty11, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

So right now everything is connected to the internet via wifi from the airport express. I was wondering if I would see faster speeds on my iMac if I connected directly via ethernet?

2. macrumors 6502a

Depending on your imac, airport base station and internet speed it could, but proabley won't. It will only make a real difference (when talking about traffic between your computer and the internet) if your internet connection speed is over the speed of your wifi (which will most likely be 54mbp/s or 300mbp/s).

However it will dramatically increase internal network speeds, for example, transfering a backup of one of my xbox cames from the storage drive on my server (around 8gb of data) takes about a hour over 54mbp/s wifi, 20 - 30mins over 100mbp/s eth and 5-10 mins over 1gbp/s eth

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok. Its a 2011 iMac.

4. macrumors regular

You would see a difference. Wifi is shared and easily messed up by interferance, such as cordless phones and microwave ovens. Wire is always better, wifi is for conveniance only.

5. macrumors member

Only if your wired network is at a higher speed than your wireless network. Wired network with 10mbps hub for example is not going to be faster than 802.11n wireless.

1 gigabit ethernet faster than 802.11n. yes.