Would santa rosa worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chstamat, Nov 29, 2006.

1. chstamat macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2006
    Hi i'm about to buy a macbook pro. I'm not in a hurry though, but ok i would happily replace the ,nylon crappy, noisy, fat and old laptop of mine with an elegant and powerfull macbook pro, since i find it the best choice (refering to the quality of the hardware construction) among other brands. I intend to use it extensivelly on scientific applications, and audio production. The thing is that i'll be on windows mostly, so i'd like it to be vista uber-capable. So i have the following question.

Should i wait for santa-rosa (regarding the possibility that there will be a lot of bugs at the first releases, so ill have to wait a bit more...) to have a decent vista experience?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada

Would an unknown machine with unknown specs to be released at an unknown date at an unknown price, be a better value for you (keeping in mind that other than uber-vista, we don't know your requirements)?

<flips coin>

Yes, you should wait for the next new thing before buying.

Seriously... nobody can answer this without 100% guesswork. If you need a machine now, buy it. If you suspect that you will absolutely need next year's features in a machine, wait until next year.
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Don't wait. Buy now.

Is that what you wanted to hear?
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    The current Core 2 Duo based MacBook Pros are great laptops, why not buy now and be happy. You can play the waiting game for ever. :)
  5. xlii macrumors 68000

Sep 19, 2006
    Millis, Massachusetts
    It boils down to how bad do you need a new computer verses how long will the wait be for santa rosa?

When santa rosa does come out, you'll be hearing the rumblings of waiting for the quad laptops to come out. There is always something new down the slipstream of time.
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

And why settle for quad cores when you could have an octo core system. ;) :D
  7. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    whatever you buy, it'll be 'outdated' and 'old crap' within a few months anyway. so why distress yourself more by worrying about what 'soon to be outdated' goods you're going to buy to distress yourself that they're about to be outdated?

buy now, be happy until the next thing comes out. or buy later, be happy until it gets revised/upgraded.

or, just buy when you need it and be happy you've got a decent piece of technology :) and quit asking these questions all the time :rolleyes: ;) :p
  8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    it really depends on your need wants. You can wait forever, id say get it and be happy.
  9. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Haha. Yeah I figured 'screw it' I'm going to buy a MB now and not wait for Santa Rosa.
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Apple's BootCamp enables you to run Windows XP SP2 and has been reported to work with developer releases of Vista, however BootCamp itself is still
    a beta test program.

While BootCamp works quite well, in it's latest update, you might consider
    waiting for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard for professional use in mission critical

In order to run Windows, you must have a retail copy of Windows XP Home
    or XP Pro including SP2.

You should be fine working with all your current Windows applications, but you'll need to be very diligent about backing up any Windows files.

Upgrading to OS X 10.5. Leopard will most likely run $129.00

Upgrading to Vista Pro will cost several hundred dollars.

You can buy the current C2D Models with complete confindence, but
    you should be aware of the software upgrade path as well.