Would spore run on my ibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sk1985, Jun 29, 2006.

1. sk1985 macrumors regular

I really want this game and I was wondering if it could run on my ibook when it comes out. Here are the estimate PC requirements for the game:

Intel Pentium 4 2GHz
    512 Mb ram
    Geforce 4 and up
    ATI X300
    This game should be optimised for dual core CPUs - as most games being developed today.
    A Pentium D or Athlon 64 X2 would come in handy for this game. ;)

These requirements don't seem too demanding. I'm mostly worried about the CPU lacking. These stats have been posted on a ton of fan sites. The game doesn't look too graphically demanding so I really hope I can play this game.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What specs are your ibook ??

Oh and you realise it's a pc game - not mac ???

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Radeon 9200 in your iBook (assuming it's a G4) should be about equivilant to a Geforce 4...

4. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but such a huge title gets ported over to macs after a few months of it's release (at the most I'd have to wait a year). Just like the sims and it's expansion packs I know I'd have to wait on a mac port. I just want to see if power wise would the ibook be comparable to those specs if the game was going to get ported over. (i.e. would the last revision of ibooks have enough juice to run that game). I'm always a little bit confused by the amount of power a G4 has compared to a p4. There's always all that mac propaganda saying PPC run X times faster then X processors.

5. sk1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I have an ATi Radion 9550 card in my ibook. Sorry I should have said I have a 12 inch 1.33 Ghz ibook. I'll be upgrading the ram to 1.5 gigs by years end too.

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I think its alittle too early to tell. And i doubt that spore comes to OS X. But i have been wrong.. once.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Spore doesn't look too graphically demanding? Seriously?

The Sims and SimCity aren't all THAT graphically demanding either, but...

I guess what I am trying to say is that I REALLY doubt Spore would run well on an iBook (or even a powerbook for that matter, but it would likely be playable) when/if (and that's a BIG if) it's ported over.

8. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Fat chance. I doubt the game will even install on your iBook, no offense. :(

9. fatties macrumors regular

i think it sounds cool, but i doubt it will run on my mb... then again don't ibooks have a better graphics card or something?

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

MacBooks have a card that is more powerful than a 9200 –*though your mileage may vary. As for Spore, I doubt it will run on your iBook –*at least not at anything besides the lowest of settings – if it comes to the Mac at all.

11. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that an OSX port has been mentioned. Seeing as it's coming out for virtually everything else ( PC, xbox360, DS, mobile phones ), and most other Maxis titles have ( I think ) been ported to the Mac, I would be surprised if it didn't.

Would an iBook run it, though? As much as I would like it to, I wouldn't have thought so. Seeing as it's not due until next year now ( sure that was mentioned at E3 ), I think the specs for a PC will be quite high. I think a G5/MBP will be needed, minimum, but that's just my guess based on how i've seen Sims2 running.

This was one of the titles that I was contemplating buying a 360 for, as I think that's the best bet I've got of running it.

There's a lot of Spore info over at http://www.gamingsteve.com

12. Paranoidmarvin macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

I think it might run on an iBook, as it could only be a bit more graphically demanding than sims2.
    I definatly want Spore on my Powerbook!

13. Miguey macrumors 6502

huh, if this game is to be ported to Mac why not CS? thats a big game..