would the 14 inch ibook be a good poor man's graphic design portable computer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 2, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i feel the 12 inch ibook may be too small and the tibook just a little bit too expensive

i am going to take intro to photoshop/illustrator next semester...they use os 9 and photoshop 6

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The 14" iBook has no more screen real estate than the 12". Both have LCDs that max out at 1024x768. The 14" just has bigger pixels! Do you really want the added weight and cost?

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Photoshop and Illustrator run fine on my iBook. Is the screen small? Sure, but even when I work on a 17" monitor I don't like to go above 1024x768 resolution. Your eyes just adjust to it. I mean, the font is really small when I'm just web browsing or whatever, but now I don't give it a second thought. Plus, remember, in Photoshop and Illustrator you'll be zooming waaaaay in all the time...

4. evil macrumors 6502

i would suggest the 12 powerbook. faster, smaller=more portable, and way sexy.
    though ive heard the ibooks are chick magnets for some odd reason.

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

nothing like the clamshell ibook

it looks like some sort of barbie thing:p

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I know a student up here with a brand new ibook and he carries around his tangerine ibook just to get the ladies to stop and check it out. sad part is it works too.:)

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Photoshop will be faster on the PB 12 because of altivec. But when you say "poor man's" I take it you're trying to keep the cost low. Then I have to agree with the posters who say consider the 12" iBook instead of the 14". People tend to sit closer to laptops than they do to CRTs, so the screen size is not as important as you might think.

As the used alternative... MacResQ has some used 15" TiBooks (500MHz G4) for $1295. Just remember that TiBooks have to be treated very gently.

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

This one time, at Starbucks...

:D

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

the AluBook is a guy magnet.
    actually, every single Apple laptop released after the first snow iBooks is a guy magnet.
    and i like 12" iBooks and 17" PowerBooks, which seem to be the two apple laptops which attract chicks :D
    BTW I HATE THE CLAMSHELL iBooks! just because reese witherspoon has one in legally blonde or something doesn't mean that most chicks dig it.

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

This discussion made me think of something...

Have you ever seen a guy or a girl go up to someone else and say "Hey, nice Dell."?

Didn't think so.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

have i ever gone up to you sweetheart and say "Hey, nice iBook!"?
    i don't think so.

12. evil macrumors 6502

getting back to the real topic:
    would either recommend getting the 12 ibook or pbook.
    if you can cough up the extra 500 bucks or so i would definately recommend the pbook.
    i used to have a 12 ibook and sold it to upgrade to the 12 pbook. it put me in debt, but i think it was worth it.