would these games run on the ibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluemoon, Aug 7, 2004.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

i am currently still torn between the 1 Ghz ibook and the 1.33 Ghz powerbook... the person at the apple shop insist that i dun need the powerbook... for one the powerbook isnt as shockproof (in terms of knocks) when compared to the ibook... anyway... just to aid me in my decision...:p i decided to find out if WC3 and Diablo 2 plays fine on the 1Ghz ibook with 768 RAM and 32 mb vram ATI radeon 9200 (i think...) would welcome yr views bout the PB and ibook issues too.. both are the 12" and they will be my only computer... :D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, you're going to get better results on the PB. I don't have Doom 2, but I do play WCIII (poorly). It runs great on my dual-2 G5, but not stunningly well on my 800MHz iMac, which has, I think, a graphics card with power similar to the one now on the iBooks.

So, I would expect WCIII to play on the iBook, but you'll need to reduce some of the settings. Do you have an apple Store nearby? The cool ones will let you load up software just to see if it'll run what you use. They reboot them every day anyway with netboot so you won't mess anything up.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

It's like this:

I play Diablo 2 all the time on my eMac without a damn problem. Mind you, I have the model with a Radeon 7500, quite a bit less powerful than the 9200. I've also tried the Warcraft III demo. Both worked without a hitch. I think you'll be fine.

4. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Games that I currently run with no problems

Diablo 2
    Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne expansion
    Sims
    MOHAA
    Myth 3 (which so deserves a sequel...)

Check my sig for machine spec....

5. jamesfowler2k macrumors member

I can also comfirm that warcraft 3 runs 100% on my mac, Spec underneath also Call of DUTY runs fine... sims runs same :)

6. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

the minimum requirements for Diablo 2 or WC3 are 400mhz ( i think ) G3, so if you have a G4 1ghz, youll be more than great, dont worry most BLIZZARD games run perfect on a Mac and pretty much all of them require very little power

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Diablo 2 run GREAT on my G4 400 with GF4mx and 512 ram,
    WC3-tf runs, but with most settings turned down.
    Diablo 2 (with exp) runs OK on my lil'bros PM 6100 (with 240mhz G3 upg,7100 2mb AV card and 72 mb RAM).
    Funny thing that Diablo 2 without expansion woundn't boot at all because it's a nubus machine...

-tb

8. Koree macrumors 6502

It'll be fine. ^^ Just a peace of suggestion but i think you should create a disk image of hte play disks

9. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

If that is swaying you away from getting a PB, I would think twice. Unless you plan on beating the sh*t out of your laptop, the PB is VERY sturdy. I've banged mine on a few things and it took it in stride.

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Also, I reccomend "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". It was $20 at CompUSA, and it runs great on my eMac, even in High Quality mode. So you should be pretty well off with it.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

If you plan on playing any other games more advanced in the future, i'd go with a powerbook.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i can play wolfensitine D2 warcraft 3 ect on my 600MHz ibook you should have no problems with a ibook, that being said i'm going to get a rev. c powerbook soon :D and i take my ibook to school every day as i will with the powerbook.

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I have warcraft 3 running right here in a lan party of sorts on an ibook G4 800MHz. It runs fine, I turned down some of the settings but it runs at the the native resolution.

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Both should play fine. I don't know too much about them, but as everyone said I know they don't ask for too much. You could probaly run some of the newer games like CoD pretty well too. CoD runs great on my 933 MHz machine.

15. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Diablo 2 is old. I played that on my 233mhz G3 with like 256 ram and had no problems. I never played WC3 so I cant tell you. I do know starcraft also ran fine on that old computer. Neither of those games are graphics intense so I highly doubt it's gonna be any difference between the powerbook and ibook. Doom 2 is also extremely old so i doubt that will cause any problems either.

16. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Go for it!

I actually own an iBook, quite similar to the one you're describing (see sig). I play WC3, Diablo 2, MOH, and NWN without a single hitch. I run all the games at 1024x768 ('cept for D2, which is stuck at 800x600), with medium settings, and they run flawlessly. I get 30fps in MOH, close to 40 in WC3, and I'm not sure what I get in NWN or D2, but they're pretty close. I'd go with the iBook, unless money is no object, then sure, why not get the PB? :rolleyes:

17. Quobobo macrumors member

For what it's worth, I found that playing WC3 on an 800mhz iBook G4 was playable, but somewhat choppy. I don't have any numbers, but I did notice some slowdown at times.

18. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

ok? IMPOSSIBLE!!! you might've been playing online or you might've been playing a custom terrible map with like 2000 things on screen...it shouldnt slow down at all, and if it does, its those 2 reasons i gave

19. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

If he's planning on playing any other games in the future, I'd go with a Dell. Macs just arent cut out for top of the line games.

That said, I run a 1 ghz iBook with 512 mb of RAM, and both Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 run beautifully.
    The iBook will be fine.

20. Quobobo macrumors member

No, I was just playing normal offline campaign mode. It's generally okay, but if you try to move around fast I think you'll notice the framerate getting a bit choppy sometimes. It's not that hard to believe, the thing has a 32mb Radeon 9200...

However, like I said, it's playable. Just don't expect too much from the graphics card, as WC3 definitely isn't the most graphically taxing game.

21. mateybob macrumors member

on highest setting wc3 will run slowly but on medium or lower it will run perfectly...
    d2 will run fine...

22. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

War3 FPS rates are nothing on my Rev B compared to my G5.

Personally I'd say War3 performance on Powerbooks is sub-par... around the 20- FPS range.

23. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I'm continuously dumbfounded by all the people who say Warcraft 3 plays badly.

I stole the mac version of a friend who bought the PC/Mac Hybrid when it first came out and installed it on my TiBook 800Mhz (Radeon 7500m 32Mb) and it played perfectly (silky smooth, max settings - 1280x854, i dunno what framerates were). He was amazed that it played so much better on my pb than on his pc (1.6Ghz, GeForce4 something).

Warcraft is also silky smooth on my 400Mhz AGP G4 (although with a GeForce 3 64Mb).

I haven't installed any of the latest patches, so maybe there was a performance decrease in one of them...