Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
All not overclocked cards with 6 + 6 pin or 6 + 8 pin will work.

The mentioned MSI GTX 980 Ti with 2 x 8 pin will not work.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
All not overclocked cards with 6 + 6 pin or 6 + 8 pin will work.

The mentioned MSI GTX 980 Ti with 2 x 8 pin will not work.

Okay, thanks. Couple of follow-up questions, then: Is the 8+8-pin setup going to potentially draw too much power at "WOT", or is there some other reason it won't work? This card shows a 1000MHz "silent" mode, which would match the clock speed spec on the Nvidia site (is that "reference"?)...could you just keep it in that mode all the time and be alright?

Thx,
FT

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Okay, so how about this 980 Ti?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-3997-KR

If that won't work, can you clue me in as to the limiting factor?

Synchro said to stick to a card with 6+6 or 6+8 pin power, and not overclocked. Now you're asking if an overclocked 8+8 will work? o_O

The limiting factor is the power available in the Mac Pro. There are some janky ways around this, but these are homebrew solutions and not something I'd advise to a client.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Synchro said to stick to a card with 6+6 or 6+8 pin power, and not overclocked. Now you're asking if an overclocked 8+8 will work? o_O

The limiting factor is the power available in the Mac Pro. There are some janky ways around this, but these are homebrew solutions and not something I'd advise to a client.

Absolutely, I wouldn't either. I was just looking at the clock rate, which was the same 1000MHz as the Nvidia specs, so I was hoping that this example was not an overclocked one. I got the link from a prior page and pasted it in from my phone...didn't see that table so I didn't realize it was an 8+8, 300W arrangement.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be most grateful. Okay, so, looking down that list all the way to the bottom is a "vanilla" GTX 980 Ti, it would appear, part #06G-P4-3998-K1. It is 6+8pin, 250W max draw. Is this an acceptable choice and what most folks here would use in their cMPs?

Thx,
FT

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Is this an acceptable choice and what most folks here would use in their cMPs?

Well a lot of people here use 6+8 GTX980ti successfully, but it also draws power beyond spec. So whether that is acceptable or not depends on you and your client I suppose.

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Well a lot of people here use 6+8 GTX980ti successfully, but it also draws power beyond spec. So whether that is acceptable or not depends on you and your client I suppose.

If we needed, we could draw power from the unused lower optical bay or one of the HD backplane connectors, couldn't we? The PCIe slot and both 6-pin logic board connectors all provide 75W apiece (225W total), correct?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If we needed, we could draw power from the unused lower optical bay or one of the HD backplane connectors, couldn't we? The PCIe slot and both 6-pin logic board connectors all provide 75W apiece (225W total), correct?

Yes, that's one of the janky ways around the problem, although I think from prior discussions people were doing two SATA connectors in a Y-arrangement, not just one.

I'm really the wrong guy to ask. You should just use the forum search for "980ti" for relevant threads and you can read about all the possibilities.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016

two SATA connectors in a Y-arrangement, not just one.

Yup, two sata power (55W each) Y-connector to 6pin PCIe, and then two of the 6pin merge into one 8pin (150w) gives you the useable combo for a 6+8 GPU setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.